Default Colt DA 45 US PROPERTY - All original "barn find" - What do I have here?

I don't know anything about these pistols. I buddy of mine handed me this and asked me if I could find out anything about it, including what it's worth for insurance purposes. His wife's father left it for her and she set it aside along with a 1903A3 and bayonet. Been in an attic for years.

Left side of barrel: "COLT D.A. 45"
    Top of barrel: "COLT'S PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA"
    "PAT'D AUG 5 1884 JUNE 5 1900 JULY 4 1905"
    Bottom of barrel: "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" and the "RAC" where the barrel is pressed in.

Grips say "RAC" on the bottom.

Right side of receiver says "RAC" near the hammer and "FB" just below the rear sight.

Back of thumb cylinder release has serial number 427** as does the frame and cylinder arm when opened.

Any info and identification of markings would be substantially appreciated.
    Last edited by Farmall; 06-16-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    Jeremiah 29:11

You have a Model 1909 Colt revolver, the military version of the Colt New Service. They were chambered for the .45 Colt cartridge. RAC is the initials for the government inspector who accepted it at the Colt factory, his name was Reynaldo A. Carr. Sadly someone cut off the lanyard loop and ground the markings off the butt. You can remove the grips and drive out the pin that holds the shank in and replace the loop. I have one for the S&W M1917 revolver that may fit. Your also missing the knurled end piece for the ejector rod which I also might have. I don't know what the FB marking signifies. These are very hard to find revolvers but having the butt markings removed will effect it value significantly. They were marked US Army (18,000) , USN (1,000) & USMC (1,200).
    Last edited by NavyGunner; 06-16-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: info added
    NavyGunner

I'm a political refugee from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

Pennsylvania where Johnny Reb got new shoes !

Big Colt

Looks like someone filed or ground the US property mark and number off the butt along with the lanyard. Sadly,this is not uncommon. Too bad. This changes a $700-900 collector's piece to a $200-300 shooter :-(

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGunner View Post
    You have a Model 1909 Colt revolver, the military version of the Colt New Service. They were chambered for the .45 Colt cartridge. RAC is the initials for the government inspector who accepted it at the Colt factory, his name was Reynaldo A. Carr. Sadly someone cut off the lanyard loop and ground the markings off the butt. You can remove the grips and drive out the pin that holds the shank in and replace the loop. I have one for the S&W M1917 revolver that may fit. Your also missing the knurled end piece for the ejector rod which I also might have. I don't know what the FB marking signifies. These are very hard to find revolvers but having the butt markings removed will effect it value significantly. They were marked US Army (18,000) , USN (1,000) & USMC (1,200).
    Thank you both gentlemen.

Navy, I PM'ed you about the pieces you may have.

Thanks!
    For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    Jeremiah 29:11