Thread: Removing MN 91/30 barrel bands?

Default Removing MN 91/30 barrel bands?

First let me say I know how proper disassembly occurs, however, it always bothers me to drag them down across the stock and Im afraid of further scraping the finish.

I tried to use a modified ring clamp pliers to pull them a slight bit appart but this doesn't work well. how do you all pull them off? just wood oil up the stock and slide them off?

I'm trying to have minimal impact.

why would you even need to take them off in the first place? fact is, you don't even need to take the stock off to clean the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by SfcRet View Post
    why would you even need to take them off in the first place? fact is, you don't even need to take the stock off to clean the rifle.
    I know I"m not the only one who makes sure everything is right under there when they get a new rifle.

So, IF one were to want to remove them, what do people do to mimimize the impact?

I just jam the mosin screw driver into the bottom of it to open it a bit...

Scotty,

One way to minimize scraping is to rub some gun grease on the stock in front of the barrel bands. It wipes right off. Press down on the springs and using a short dowel or brass punch, just push it over the spring with a little tap and it slides off easily. No damage.
    Just one more Mosin and my collection will be complete!

It takes a whole village to raise an idiot.

Hope ...is just disappointment protracted.

Sometimes when we cross a bridge in life we should burn it behind us so our enemies cannot follow.

I'm looking for an SKS rear receiver cover with the sn 01822.

Democrats!!..the original flamers of the Constitution.

"My poor Krell !" ....yes, and I fear they are us.

China out of USA!.....Feng Shui, no way!

My hands are getting weaker with old age so i use mechanical advantage whenever possible. For milled band springs i use both the small screwdriver in the band split and a powerful spring clamp (with padded jaws) to compress the band spring. Stamped band springs are easier. I use a just a small screwdriver (blade equal to or less than band width) wedged into the spring and under the band. Compresses the spring and levers the band forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SfcRet View Post

First of all anyone who shoots one of these without completely disassembling it first is risking serious injury. Not doing do is suicidally foolish. As far as cleaning it is concerned, if you will be cleaning it with hot water and soap as most do, yes you do have to remove the stock. Not everyone has a supply of GI Bore Cleaner, and the various methods of cleaning all have their proponents and detractors. Nevertheless most people use hot water, and for that you have to remove the stock. Furthermore if your going to be running Swetes 7.62 through it 160 times (back and forth) with a nylon brush as I do when I clean the fouling it's a hell of a lot easier to clamp it (carefully) in a vise, and for that you also have to remove the stock. There are many reasons for a collector and shooter to remove the stock.
    This is *My Rifle*

I use a small flat tip screwdriver, one with a tip about 1/8" wide and 1/16" or less thick. I insert it in the narrow direction at the split then turn it 90 degrees which cams open the split with the width of the blade. This sufficiently opens the band to easily slip up the stock without scraping - if your careful of course.
    EEG

Looking for these MN floorplates:

WTT+$ or WTB

[QUOTE=my-rifle;911237]
    First of all anyone who shoots one of these without completely disassembling it first is risking serious injury. Not doing do is suicidally foolish.

true, I though he mean to take it off for general cleaning purposes, not that he just got the thing

As far as cleaning it is concerned, if you will be cleaning it with hot water and soap as most do, yes you do have to remove the stock.
    really? I guess if you are going to be dumping water down the bore and getting water everywhere, and generally making a mess more then you need to, I can see that point. but some of us are smart about it, by soaking patches in hot water and running it through a few times to dissolve the salts and swab them out, it does the same purpose, just less messy . I have been doing that for years, after shooting corroisve primers and guess what? no rust in the barrel

Furthermore if your going to be running Swetes 7.62 through it 160 times (back and forth) with a nylon brush as I do when I clean the fouling it's a hell of a lot easier to clamp it (carefully) in a vise, and for that you also have to remove the stock.
    has it ever occured to you that you can pad the vise to secure the rifle in place?
    Last edited by SfcRet; 06-22-2009 at 07:34 PM.

I allways remove the stock when I get a new one, just to see whats in there, and give it a good cleaning. I use snap ring pliers with two real small tips on it. I just spread the bands JUST enough to slide them off.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerse View Post
    First let me say I know how proper disassembly occurs, however, it always bothers me to drag them down across the stock and Im afraid of further scraping the finish
    I use butchers wax on the stock to prevent the bands from scratching them badly.