Thread: Vz 52/57

Default Vz 52/57

So, in my hunt for a new rifle to buy, I came across a VZ 52/57 in a gun shop for somewhere around $250. I didn't thoroughly check, but it appeared to be in good shape. Even after extensive searching, I can find very little about this gun. Does it shoot well? Is it worth $250? is it accurate?

Thanks in advance.

At that price probably not a real 52/57. there are a couple of small differences. If it is a Vz52 with a chamber, don't buy it.

Make sure the rfle is marked Vz52/57, and that the reciever is notched for the barrel retaining pin. You can also do a search on this forum and the semi-auto military rifle forum for more information.
    No more Mr. nice guy.

If it's a true 52/57, is that an instant buy price? It looks like a decent rifle, but I can't find many people commenting on it's actual performance.

If it is a genuine Vz 52/57 in decent shape (and unlike many/most Vz52s, the 52/57s in the U.S. tend to be in excellent shape), it is a definite "buy-it-now" at $250. Vz 52/57s are in the $550 and up category.

As previously mentioned, make sure you are getting the real McCoy and not a 52 with a chamber adapter. The adapters have a bad reputation for coming out with an empty case, leaving you with a 7.62x39 round loaded in a 7.62x45 chamber.

Good luck!
    --Rob
    Apes will not kill apes!

I'll go by and check on Tuesday, then. There were even two of them. Hopefully they won't be gone by the time I get my next pay check.

I have a couple of Vz52/57 rifles. I actually like shooting them better than my SKSs. The Vz is more accurate and feels more balanced I find. But it is more of a chore to fully clean vs the SKS.

If they are both real, buy them both, keep the best one, sell the other. You will have a "free" rifle plus cash in you pocket. Check and see if they have the cleaning kits in them.
    "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine!":eek:

Buy them ABSOLUTELY if they are both marked "VZ52/57 on the right front of the receiver. They are like hens teeth and they are being sold at about 1/3 of their market price......if they're authentic. Like the other posters have said, there are VZ52s out there which have had inserts installed. Stay away from them.

In a nutshell, the Czechs issued the VZ52 which is the only rifle designed specificially for the 7.62 x 49 intermediate round. It was abandoned, however, when the Soviets decided on the slightly smaller 7.62 x 39 and the VZ52 was rebarreled and redesignated as the VZ52/57. But it was only issued for a very short time in favor of the AK47 and SKS. So, it's a rare rifle with an interesting history but shoots a common ammo. Honestly, I believe that other than the Rasheed, the VZ52/57 handles the 7.62 x 39 round extremely well. Its a handsome, compact rifle with build-in bayo, is light weight and is also rugged. Bores on the VZ52 tend to be dirty but the VZ52/57 are usually bright and clean.

One of the telltale signs that it might be a VZ52 is if the stock has a black, bumpy finish on it. Many VZ52s were sprayed with that gunk by CAI after being imported. Why? Who really knows but I've never seen a VZ52/57 with the black truck bed liner material applied. But the final test will be if the rifle is clearly marked VZ52/57 on the receiver. If it is, buy both. You'll sell the other and cover ALL the cost of both rifles.

Good luck! Post up with what you find.

Rome

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll go back on Tuesday(the first day they're open again) and check to see if they're real.
    If they are, hopefully they'll be around until I get paid around the beginning of July.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
    In a nutshell, the Czechs issued the VZ52 which is the only rifle designed specificially for the 7.62 x 49 intermediate round.

Minor point - the caliber is 7.62 x 45 for the Vz-52

I have one of both models, and love shooting them. They are a little heavy for their size, but that also keeps the recoil to a minimum.

Cleaning kits are hard to come by. I lucked out and found a complete one on ebay one day that I snatched up for $35 - haven't seen one again since. Fortunately my Vz-52/57 (that I snatched up for $495 a few months ago) came with a complete kit!

7.62x39 is plentiful - although prices are alot higher than they used to be - and 7.62x45 can be found at the online auctions and SOMETIMES in the back of a little gun shop all covered in dust.

Good Luck!

Blah. One was a chamber inserted 52/57, and the other was just a standard 52. Guess I keep looking for my next firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
    Buy them ABSOLUTELY if they are both marked "VZ52/57 on the right front of the receiver. They are like hens teeth and they are being sold at about 1/3 of their market price......if they're authentic. Like the other posters have said, there are VZ52s out there which have had inserts installed. Stay away from them.

In a nutshell, the Czechs issued the VZ52 which is the only rifle designed specificially for the 7.62 x 49 intermediate round. It was abandoned, however, when the Soviets decided on the slightly smaller 7.62 x 39 and the VZ52 was rebarreled and redesignated as the VZ52/57. But it was only issued for a very short time in favor of the AK47 and SKS. So, it's a rare rifle with an interesting history but shoots a common ammo. Honestly, I believe that other than the Rasheed, the VZ52/57 handles the 7.62 x 39 round extremely well. Its a handsome, compact rifle with build-in bayo, is light weight and is also rugged. Bores on the VZ52 tend to be dirty but the VZ52/57 are usually bright and clean.

One of the telltale signs that it might be a VZ52 is if the stock has a black, bumpy finish on it. Many VZ52s were sprayed with that gunk by CAI after being imported. Why? Who really knows but I've never seen a VZ52/57 with the black truck bed liner material applied. But the final test will be if the rifle is clearly marked VZ52/57 on the receiver. If it is, buy both. You'll sell the other and cover ALL the cost of both rifles.

Good luck! Post up with what you find.

Rome

Ahhhhh.......The Vz 52/57 was replaced by the Vz 58. The Czechs never used the AK or the SKS. The Vzs were their own versions of them.

You are correct, of course. I shouldn't have lumped the Czech history with the other communist block countries. The VZ 58 was indeed designed for the 7.62 x 39 intermediate cartridge. Thanks for correcting me.

Rome