Default Cooey .22 trainer

This one is not import stamped and has the Canadian broad arrow C and 75 stamped in an oval. Interesting .22 that I have not seen often....but would be nice to have the rear mounted peep sight.
    Attachment 20329

Attachment 20330

Attachment 20331
    Last edited by coneten; 02-07-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Unfortunately Ebay has eliminated the sale of gun parts,I was in the same situation as you are and two years ago I got the rear sight for my Cooey for very little money-The piece can easily be duplicated, its rather simple, this would be your chance of getting the rear sight, if you're interested I can post pics of the piece taken from different angles

Raul, Thanks for the offer of the pics..I will take you up on it. I had read that these sights were simple enought to create from other peep sights.

i found a fellow in canada that had them - i can look and see if i still have the contact and email you to contact directly ,
    i like shooting mine - very accurate , my eyes are not young anymore so i mounted a scope using the front and rear points - can go back to original in five miniutes ,

Default Cooey Trainer...Import Marking?

Where is, what is, the "Import Marking" ? I have a Cooey Model 82 with C over 67 in a cartouche on the receiver.

In the US market imported guns have to be stamped with the name of the importer, in that market such a stamp diminishes the value of the gun.There is not a specific place wjere that stamp is pressed, usually they look for a discreet side of the gun to place it-Not all the imported guns are so stamped because the law requiring it was given not many years ago, someone here will surely have the year

and ive yet to understand that - except that it indicates it came into the country more recently than an unmarked one - what does it mean , am i missing something here ?
    in the case of these they were all imported at one time or another , is there more value in one that crossed the border later [or illeagaly ?]

if its a US weapon with import marks i can see it - means it was given as foreign aid at some time and returned as an import , ok , not a GI issue and not original , but in the case of the others i dont get it - explain me

Thanks for the info. What's the significance of the "C" over "67" in the cartouche?

i took it from the original post to this thread the "C"/# in the oval was a government marking of some sort ? rack #? perhaps coneten will come back with his referance to this mark

C in oval

The Broad Arrow in the C in the oval is the Canadian Defence acceptance/ownership mark, like the British "Broad Arrow." The number is the inspector. 82's came with and without rear peeps. If it had a peep, it did not have a leaf from what I have seen.

Cooey was part of Winchester Canada. I remember Gun Parts, then Numrich, once had the front sight wings for $1.25 labels as "Unknown sight protectors". Some were actually used by the US during WW2 until the US manufacturers could get going.
    "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." --Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Winchester-Western Canada purchased Cooey in 1961. Suggested reading: "Cooey Firearms Made In Candada 1919-1979" by John A. Belton, Museum Restoration Service, Historical Arms Series No.28, Bloomfield, Ontario, Canada, 1992.

Default Thanks for the info

I did not know it was that late. Thanks for the info.
    "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." --Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Raul, ebay still sells sights and parts and stocks just nothing that goes bang or mags.

Winsted, tks for the info, I dont pay much attention to ebay lately and thuoght the ban was for all things related to guns, its good to have another source of spare aprts-Tks

Hi Guy's
    Some info on Cooey Firearms
    Cooey made Firearms in Canada from 1919 to 1979 cooey was sold to Olin Corporation in 1961 During the Second World War Small Arms Limited produced 92,135 Rifle,.22-in. Cooey Model 82 (Long Branch) (David W Edgecombe Cdn Mil Rifles 1855-1955)
    Cheers
    Gerry

Import markings were first required on firearms imported into the USA as of 1986 (Omnibus Crime Bill of '86). The marking is supposed to have the country of origin, caliber and the importer in the marking. Imports of military surplus firearms (non-sporting firearms) were stopped by the GCA'68 altogether. Prior to GCA68, most any imports were allowed and no special markings were required though the exporting country quite often marked the guns with a stamp denoting country of origin. Some foreign country export laws make it manditory for them to do that as well as some proof laws in foreign countrys.
    As to the real reason for requireing the import marking,,don't really know. I've been given the reason is to be able to track a gun back to it's importer for whatever reason. But I would imagine the serial number would be just fine in doing that as those are all logged and booked upon importation and sale. If the serial number is removed for a criminal reason, the generic import marking isn't going to do much for you for investigative purposes. Those can be scrubbed too though the latest ones are a bit tougher to do. Maybe it's just another one of those 'feel like we're making things safe' regulations.
    >
    Nice .22 rifle there!!

exactly -- symbolism instead of substance ,

winstead , not sure but think you are a bit south of me location wise and believe we have a common aquaintance

Default Cooey Trainers

I have a couple of Cooey training rifles and parts in my collection. The rear sights are rare but I managed to purchase about 20 at a gun show a few years back. The Cooey 82's are in two models one is military and the other for the Civilian market. The militery models have a military mark on the butt stock and a serial number on the bottom of the pistol grip. The Civilian models are clean meaning no military marks, or serial numbers.

There was a repeater model of the cooey Model 60, it didn't have a rear sight on the barrel and came with a small Parker Hale sight on the receiver. This is mentioned in the Cooey booklet "Cooey Firearms Made in Canada 1919-1979", by John A. Belton, Historical Arms Series No. 28.
    I had one and should have snapped some pictures, but I sold it for a price I couldn't refuse.

At one time in the 80's I had 29 different Commomwealth training rifles in my collection. Changed directions after that and sold them to purchase M14's, AK's, FN's, SMG's, GPMG's, and Bren Guns.
    Can't keep them all.

I guess it is true, "The one that dies with the most toys wins".

Just a note on Cooey model 82's the civillian model was sometimes have a varathane type finnish or very well done military finnish, there was also a block of wood that was shaped like a rifle magazine that you bolted by removing the action screw and place the wood magazine over the action screw hole, and with the provided long magazine/action screw assembly was made too the gun, this was to reasemble a lee enfield #4.

Had forgotten about this thread...finally took mine out to shoot this summer...iron sights, no peep, but milled flat if I ever find one. Great little shooter. A Square 10, how did you mount the scope...my eyes are getting real old...63 next Tuesday? The only tapped holes in mine are the rear sight and the milled flat at the very rear of the receiver. What did you use for rings...homebrew?

JOHNC

my whole setup was a homebrew - ive since taken it off and returned the rear and peep sights to the rifle - those are the holes i used with a rail i bought at gander mountain and cut to fit / drilled to work , it worked very well , the rifle is a tack driver , ive gone to shooting my commercial 22s with the scopes , i shoot my trainers at close range these days

A Square:

Thanks, if the weather here in Western PA stays as cold as it is now (11 deg F) for a little longer, I may pull the old girl out and look into mounting a scope for when the spring winds blow.

JOHNC