Gunboards Forums banner

Enfield No 2 Mk 1 Revolver serial numbers

318K views 689 replies 228 participants last post by  Thebudster 
#1 ·
I am a collector of Enfield No 2 Mk 1 revolvers. Currently I am recording serial numbers and dates on Enfields to get an accurate account of production figures and to find unusual variations that may exist. I am asking the forum members who own an Enfield to help me out by supplying serial number ranges and dates on their revolvers. I have already found one unusual variation from another forum member. i will be posting the results and photos of any and all unusual variations. Thanks for your help. charlie

#270 ·
This is mt first post and i have a new #.

Mine is a 1941, #p2789 all matched w/no rework. This gun has bakolite grips w/brass button. The button has epoxy residue with the letters "americ" imbedded in it. Any idea what the emblem was?
This gun also has stamped letters "np" on the right side of the frame just in front of the cylinder.

I would appreciate any additional info you have on these items.

Thank you,
TIM D.

#272 ·
I have a no 2 mk1 serial # u-2561 stamped on barrell,revolver and trigger guard. I have another number stamped on
revolver part j497. The barrell has cal 38 42 for the year. I don't see any stars * or **. This gun is a double action
spurless hammer. Can u help me with exact make and model. Theres no place indicating the enfield logo

#273 ·
Just picked one up at a local gun show. The serial number on the barrel and frame is V1707. The serial number is marked just forward of the pivot pin on the barrel and just below the pivot pin on the frame forward of the trigger guard. The top of the barrel is marked Cal 38 and is a bit worn, but in the direction of the cylinder it appears to be a 42. The 4 is clear, but the bottom of the 2 is not visible, but looks more like a 2 than a 3. The cylinder is marked CG1 and has a serial number of Z4513. It has the sprless hammer and does not seem to have the hammer safety. On the right side of the frame there is the DE followed by 1**. The grip dark walnut and does not have the medalion, nor is it cut for one. The backstrap is serrated. Overall, seems in great condition, bore is clean and shiny, cylinder locks up pretty tight. Will probably shoot it this weekend with some remington 38 S&W, found one box at the show.

#275 ·
First Enfield in 30 years for me!

Just picked up my first Enfield No2Mk1* serial number Z 5702. All matching no import markings. Any idea where to find the correct lanyard? Thanks, Bob B.

Attachments

#276 ·
I have X 569*..a No 2 Mk1 ** in excellent condition..complete except for the brass disc..38 43 on the barrell along with usual proofs.beautiful bluing job..no import marks

I have cast and loaded 18 of the original 38-200 loads, now it won't stop raining...dang hurricane

#287 ·
Here is another first year number for you. Note the rear sight...just like the earliest Webley MK IVs. Its the 2nd first year Enfield I've seen with this sight.

View attachment 336131 View attachment 336130 View attachment 336129
View attachment 336128 View attachment 336132
1930 was the second year of production, 1929 being the first. It also seams that there were alot more Enfields issued with the driftable sight as stated in the No2 book as I have 3, 1 from 1929 and 2 from 1930.

#282 ·
1936 Enfield

I see I have apparently never weighed in on this thread, so might as well tell you about the RCAF-marked 1936 Enfield No 2 Mk 1 currently have in my collection, as well as the 1931-dated one I traded off for it. (I traded because the 1936 revolver was a much better fit in my collection of Canadian military handguns than the earlier example.)

1936 Enfield No. 2 Mk I, Serial Number E1301, Mk I chequered walnut side stocks (Mark Stamps' "Type A")

1931 Enfield No. 2 Mk I, Serial Number A4796, Mk I reeded walnut side stocks (Mark Stamps' "Type B")

Attachments

#283 ·
I've weighed in with my serials earlier in this thread, but at this point, I'm curious about the number of Albions that were produced.
Based on the recorded D series numbers, I would ASSUME that at least 40M-ish were made, if all serials were utilized.

Do the REPORTED numbers of Albions versus Enfields jibe with the same ratio of Enfields and Albions MANUFACTURED ?

I would expect statistically this would be the case (roughly).

But if the percentages would be significantly off, it could indicate that maybe all the Albion serials weren't used, (or didn't pass inspection, or were recorded as destroyed in a warehouse bombing, etc.) as has been theorized in the past.

Just curious.
Regards, Ned

#284 ·
Ned:

It is not clear from your post whether you are familiar with the Albion production figures given by Stamps and Skennerton in their ".380 Enfield No. 2 Revolver" but in case you aren't, they state: "the comprehensive wartime records indicate a figure of 42,516 for the ongoing contract".

They also mention that authors Christie and Cairns in a January 1985 article in "Guns Review" (entitled "The Albion Enfield No. 2 MkI*") put total production by Albion at only 21,422 revolvers. They do also note, however, that in the early part of 1943 the Albion contract was passed over to Coventry Tool & Gauge Co., and that this may explain the difference in the two figures. (As I have never heard of a "Coventry" marked Enfield revolver, one must assume that their production continued to be marked with the Albion name .... ?)

#288 ·
Just got another one today.

Enfield #2 Mk1**
Dated 43 on BBL
S/N Y42XX
Plastic Grips w/stock disk. Disk is brass but looks like it is parked over.
Hope it helps.

#290 ·
Actually, Thundermug, MkI** No. 2 Enfield revolvers were produced only with the "bobbed hammer", and that is accordingly the "correct" configuration for your revolver. In fact, MkI** revolvers lack the necessary sear notch/full-cock bent to enable them to be thumb-cocked and fired in "single action mode", anyway .....

#294 ·
Back when it was still possible to get an extra spur hammer, I fitted one to my first Enfield NO 2 MK I**. It was an accurate combination and my favorite plinking revolver. However, switching hammers may cause timing problems in the lockwork which is often alot more bother than most people are ready to deal with. Skennerton mentioned this in his book. Eventually I restored my NO 2 MK I** to original configuration and, or course, I had to re-time the lockwork all over again.

#295 ·
Thanks for the input. When and if I find a spurred hammer, I will try to find a gunsmith who knows his stuff. The timing issue may be a deal-breaker. If the timing cannot be restored after the hammer swap, then there is no point in going ahead with it. If it can be restored, full steam ahead. I will have to get Skennerton's book, too.