Gunboards Forums banner

CZ-82 vs CZ-83

32K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  Hammerhead6814 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello forum.

I am wondering if anyone in the Membership here has both CZ-82 and CZ-83, and am also curious as to how they rate and compare them.

Recently I briefly held each in a pawn/gun shop. Heavy but they fit my hand well. They look and feel the same, except that the CZ-83 is new. Each pistol will receive the other's cartridge holder. But I am not sure they are really interchangeable as they use slightly different rounds.

The CZ-82 is about $220. It looks fairly okay, except for some wavy appearance to the paint on the slide's sides.

The CZ-83 is about $460. And it appears to be new. It looks to have been blued.

If "pretty" isn't so important to me, are these weapons at parity? Or is the new one significantly better for some not-so-obvious reason?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to a pistol being SA/DA capable? I see others which don't do both.

Is the lack of a de-cocker a major issue?

Has anyone put a laser on one of these?

Thanks for reading this.

See less See more
#41 · (Edited)
CZ-82

I don't worry about the ugly chipped flaky finish on my CZ-82......these were military and police contract sidearms, and also one more "middle finger" to the hated Soviets as the Czechs have always resisted adopting Soviet weapons, and although were forced to use the Soviet ammunition they designed their own weapons. Maybe very loosely based on the Makarov the CZ-82 is a unique design and I think one of CZ's finest. A compact and easy to carry sidearm, it was no doubt designed in the same vein as the Makarov as a mid-sized universal pistol that the military, uniformed police, and "special" units like plainclothes police and whatever the Czech equivalent of the KGB was could all use, without having to worry about full-sized and compact duty pistols. I would like to add 1 or 2 more CZ-82's before the prices start to climb and/or supplies start drying up as people start realizing they are a good pistol with available ammo. If I never get around to adding another one, I feel my one and only 82 will last probably longer than me, these guns are built to last. I think the next big gun show I go to will likely yield me another 82, and possibly another 52. My 82 is pure "shooter grade" and I would like to add a nicer one that's close to unissued.

My 82 has the usual chips by the trigger guard from the mag floorplate knocking against it, but it shows that it was carried and looks to be shot very little. I chose a piece that was less than minty so I could shoot it a lot and not worry about damaging any of the finish, most of the wear points have already been taken down to the white anyway.

I have wanted a CZ-83 in .32 for a while, I love .32 auto's and a bigger pistol like the 83 in .32 I think would be an outstanding shooter. Overbuilt for hot 9x18 it would make for a very durable gun in .32 ACP.

The brown holsters may seem ugly, but they have that "ugly but purely functional" look that is 100% East Bloc. Also, I'm sure you all know the "ugly" holsters are also ambidextrous, the pistol and mag can be flip-flopped for use by a lefty. It seems the Czechs are one of the few nations to take such considerations for lefties, the 82 has an ambi-safety and also the ambi holster. And also the CZ85, the ambidextrous version of the CZ-75. Very considerate of the Czechs to not force lefties to shoot righty, like most military forces do. I'm right handed so it doesn't matter to me, but I'm sure a lot of left handed Czech cops and soldiers appreciate it.

#43 ·
I normally don't like necro posting, but this past weekend at the RKshows Gunshow in Springfield, I saw a 10/22 being sold for $900. With the number of upgrades he had including: aftermarket magazines (ten of them), aftermarket stock with 1913 rail, a mounted EO-Tech holo sight (itself worth over $100), and some kind of bull-barrel.

I'm amazed at how much people spend on somethings. I don't understand it myself, but I guess satisfaction of some kind is derived from completely overhauling a $200 firearm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.