Gunboards Forums banner

Mauser Banner-Bolt Questions

5K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  whcoyote 
#1 ·
I have a Mauser Banner - a Standard Modell Model 1933 Short Rifle - A Mauser banner and "1933" stamped into receiver ring. I am questioning the originality of the bolt in this rifle. Were there any proof marks applied to the bolts of these rifles when manufactured? The bolt in my rifle has only the last three digits of the serial number applied to the top-side of the bolt root - no other markings on bolt body. Is this correct?

BUGN proofs applied to the receiver ring only - not to barrel.

I have tried twice to send pics with the thread but I can't get them to go through. I will keep trying to send them. Maybe someone can help with this.
Bob

#29 · (Edited)
Bruce:
No problems. I just like to know the reasoning behind opinions. It's hard to accept a flat statement without evidence.

This stock has definitely not been renumbered. I'd bet the rifle on that. If it's not the correct stock, then someone, some time ago took an unnumbered stock for a straight-handle bolt and numbered it to this action and applied it. Then they put a straight-handled bolt in it. No surprise - if the bolt is bogus, why not the stock also?

Many thanks for sticking with me on this. I am persistent - but one must be that way sometimes to learn. I know you guys know what you are talking about but it's nice to know the facts behind your statements.

Now - the straight-handled bolt rifle in Ball's book "Mauser Military Rifles of the World", Fourth Ed. Pgs. 191 & 192, which looks identical to mine - what number block would that be in. It's called a "Standard Modell Model 1933 Short Rifle". Why is my rifle not one of that group?

Finally, from the pics you can see, can you venture an approximate value for this rifle?

Very best regards,
Bob

#33 · (Edited)
No trouble at all. I already had that image from my byf 43 uploaded. :)

Another interesting thing to look at is the flat-topped style of the "3" used by Mauser Oberndorf on your metal:

And here again is the barrel channel from my byf 43, made at the same factory 10 years later but they are still using a flat-topped "3":

Now look at the "3"s inside your wood:

:(

#34 ·
Milsurp:
I see your point.
I don't know about the third Reich era, but in Imperial Germany, the shape of the "3" depended on who made the arm. As example, DWM' 3s all had round tops while Erfurt's 3s all had flat tops. I suspect that this carried over into the 3rdR era also but have no proof. Anyway, your point is noted and well taken.
Thanks,
Bob

#36 ·
Milsurp:
Have you noticed that the numbers in your stock and the numbers in your handguard were struck with two different sets of dies? Look at the "7"s - one has serifs and one doesn't. Also the "3"s - one has a slightly longer "neck" and smaller bottom than the other. Must have been fitted by two different stockers - or accepted by two different inspectors.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.