Gunboards Forums banner

Bulgarian 7.62 x 25.....

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Comrade Antibiotika 
#1 ·
Might be taking a trip this friday to the familys land to do some shooting.....Need to try out my romanian tokarev after I had to modify the slide stop lever by fliling a bit of the tab off of it. Have a box of bulgarian 53 dated on 8 rd stripper clips. Ammo looks great, has no splits or other issues. Just curious. I will also shoot a bit of rommy out of it, 1 box. Hoping to have fixed it. The tab of the slide stop, the piece that engages the mag follower was too long, and rounds were hitting it as they pushed up in the mag, causing the slide to lock back while firing. I took a bit off the tab, think I've fixed it.

But think I'll be safe with this ammo?

#2 ·
8 Round stripper clips sounds czech... what's the headstamp?

Czech surplus gave me lots of misfires and it was a waste of time. My tokarev has digested dozens of unspeakably bad condition bulgarian rounds with no problem, one with small cracks by the hundreds. I'd had one round that was split halfway down the case that jammed when it cycled into the pistol: I pulled it out and it was curved like a banana. I pulled the bullet out with a pair of leatherman pliers with very light pressure. Only one i didn't shoot, i'll probably dump the powder in the garden, shoot off the primer, and keep the almost unblemished bullet as a momento.

#8 ·
There is some 7.62x25 ammunition for the sub-machine guns that is said to be unsafe for the tokerevs. FIVESHOT

As a matter of "first hand" fact, some 1953 dated Bulgarian 7.62 x 25 ammo split the barrel and nearly blew the slide completely off a CZ52 pistol. Never heard about Tok blowups just jams and FTFs. IMHO Toks are much stronger than CZ52s, but the Bulgarian stuff still makes me nervous.

#4 ·
"7.62x25 ammunition for the sub-machine guns that is said to be unsafe for the tokerevs"

Sorry, that is an internet myth, Tokarev ammo made for SMGs and not for pistols does not exist.

#5 ·
Internet AND Gun writer myth.... SMGs shoot PISTOL ammo! That is the part of the whole idea (you have ammo in the supply chain already). If you wanted a "hotter round" for an SMG...Why not make a cartridge that is going to give you a significant boost in performance

Well then, you could always develop the ASSAULT RIFLE! Oh yeah, that was done already.

#7 ·
I was speaking specifically about Tokarev ammo, but the fact is usually true for all pistol/SMG rounds. You have in-fact bought up one of the few exceptions to the general rule.

#19 ·
For info about the CZ52's that were blown up by "bad bulgarian" go to the Czech weapon boards and ask about it. They were debunked as poor maintenance on the gun causing the failure, not the ammo. Many thousands of rounds of this same ammo have been fired through many CZ52's without issue.

#21 ·
Hmm, new pistol, properly field stripped and cleaned and blows nearly to pieces on 32nd round. Many more like it. Literally shattered frames and barrels. All Returned to importer and not a single word in response. MAkes you wonder if its a combination of poor ammo, poor weapons design, litigation fears and warehouses full of potentially unsaleable merchandise. Fortunately ( for sellers) a big media stink would help "anti gun" and could be used to shut down importers. I personally like the looks of the CZs, Just watch what you feed it.

#20 ·
762x25 Czech myth might be impart to the tremendous muzzle

blast/fire in low light ive experenced:eek:, that opens to a point half more flame past.:eek:
the felt recoil is a bit stiffer and the twist in the hand more noticeable with out shooting glooves.:cool:
but the spots before your eyes ;), and looks on other faces at the range makes good conversation.:eek:.
i dont know if its hotter:confused: but compared to some other commercial its fire works at dusk, because of the unburnt powder.<:D><dk

#24 ·
Heres an early photograph of one to start. All we had (including this mine and one other damaged pistol) were retrieved from owners and very quickly picked up by importer. Barrel was split from breech to muzzle and lodged in slide as shown. Frame was cracked in several places. Every crack showed a peculiar "granular" look like steel that was heated red hot and dipped in water. Many pics by others have been deleted from the net for some reason but will find some more.

#25 ·
I believe it. I just don't see how people can look at the chamber wall thickness on a cz52, understand the roller mechanism and the defect of worn out rollers, and think the cz52 is the Terminater of handguns. Its not. They are good guns for what they are, but I do not believe they are half as strong as everyone thinks.

Ha, I DO believe the tokarev is though....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.