Question Sporterized Gem 98 mauser, danzig

I need help finding out the value of this rifle. I have photos. Can someone contact me and give me an answer or point me in the right direction to find out. Will be much appreciated. Im new to the community.

Can you post some photos here? You can upload photos to this thread directly from your computer. Just click on the 'manage attachments' in your next reply.

Default Sporterized Gem 98 mauser, danzig

Here are the photos of the gun. Thank you for your help.
    m

Would really need more detailed pics- receiver, bolt, floorplate and triggerguard, etc.
    What are the markings on top of the receiver? Do the serial numbers match on all the parts?

Default Sporterized Gem 98 mauser, danzig

I will get more detailed photos, thank you for helping me.
    m

Default Sporterized GEW 98 Mausers- $150-250.

If you check out some of the firearms auction sites, you will see these offered in this price range. Price is affected by bore condition and whether there are poorly drilled holes for sight mounting. Basically, these were surplus military rifles of WWI vintage that were shortened by cutting the barrel and remounting the front sight and the stock and handguard were cut back and front band/bayonet mount discarded. Many of these came into the country before the 1968 gun control act and were unsaleable at the time because they were long and military style rifle shooting was not popular. So they were sporterized and sold for $26.95 whereas the original condition rifles sold for $19.95. Now the 8x57 is just as useful as the .30/06 if you handload and the old cut rifled barrels often shoot well with some wear and pitting so it may be useful as a back up/bad weather rifle. The cost of re-barrellling, drilling for scope mounts etc quickly becomes prohibitive compared to resale value at todays prices for materials and labor. The Mauser 98 action is a wonderful piece of engineering. Those $19.95 rifles if left original are now worth $500-1000.