Gunboards Forums banner

My Obsession with the .32 Caliber S&W Revolvers

77K views 65 replies 28 participants last post by  banjodarrell 
#1 ·
Hello
Back when I was a Teenager, my Father Purchased a Ruger single six in .32 H&R Magnum Caliber. I was fascinated with that caliber and took a wood chuck with it one day, which made me quickly see how accurate the .32 Caliber really was. Fast forward 20 Years, I came across a S&W Model 16-4 .32 H&R Magnum Revolver and Purchased it NIB I hand load for it and to see what this Underrated Cartridge can really do, One must hand load for it. After the Purchase of it, I was even More Hungry for the .32 S&W Long Caliber and wanted a K-32 Masterpiece Badly.

I knew it would not be an easy find, with only 3630 of them ever being made from 1947-1974. I came into one that is shown and it is an Early Post-War Model with the narrow rib barrel and oddly enough it shipped in 1951 being late for the narrow rib Barrel but with a small consumer demand several did ship late with the Lighter Profile barrel's.

While at a Gun show one day, I ran into a fella that had a Neat Little I-Frame Pre-War Regulation Police revolver chambered in .32 S&W Long Caliber. It had the side plate Inscribed with Harry Anderson's name and a date of 1927 as shown. He was asking $425.00 for it, so I passed. Two days later I approached the table next to his to visit a close Buddy of mine, and he said that my Buddy shared with him that I simply loved the .32 caliber and shot it often. He then asked if I would shoot a revolver like he had for sale if I was to purchase it ? I told him I would, but his price was a little steep for me. He then offered it to me at $200.00 and home it came.:)

I E-mailed the Evansville, Indiana Police Department and asked them what they could tell me about their past Police Chief Harry Anderson ? The response is shown below the revolver, and to say the least I was blown away at what history this Old weapon turned up. The Desk Sergeant was so kind as to ask for my address and he sent me the Official Evansville, Indiana Police Uniform patch and Tie Tack shown with it..I Learned that Harry Carried this revolver strong side when riding on his Then experimental Motorcycle unit of which he was in charge of, that is why it has the short 3-1/4" Barrel, and Prior to riding motorcycles the Evansville Police department answered call in the city on Bicycles :D

I later came across this Little pre-30 revolver shown in .32 S&W Long Caliber. It had some serious finish Issues but it's internal Bore looked like new. I Paid $150.00 for it and decided to make a refinishing project out of it. I Polished out all the rust and Pits shown from the Original finish and sent it off to Ford's Refinishing in Florida.At there suggestion with me telling them it would be a daily carry weapon, we decided a Hard Chrome finish would wear the best so hard chrome it was.

I Then came across this Air-Lite -J-Frame in .32 H&R Magnum called The 431 P. D. meaning Personal Defense and Purchased it for summer Light weight carry retiring my Pre-30 revolver to winter carry only. I have found the .32 Caliber to be super accurate and a real pleasure to fire, so it is one of my Favorites. let's Here about your S&W .32 Caliber revolvers in this thread... Hammerdown

S&W Model 16-4 K-32 Magnum

K-32 Masterpiece Circa 1951

Pre-War Regultion Police revolver .32 S&W Long Caliber Hary Anderson's Gun The Police Chief of Evansville, Indiana 1927

Harry's Bio

HARRY R. ANDERSON, clerk of the Vanderburg Circuit Court of Vanderburg County, has been firmly established in public confidence, and esteem at Evansville for a number of years, first, as a business man and then as a public official.

Mr. Anderson was born in Pike County, Indiana, October 9, 1892, son of John L. and Louise (Sprinkles) Anderson. His parents were born in Warrick, Indiana, and his father died in 1906 at Evansville and his mother in 1894. Harry R. Anderson spent his active life as a farmer. There were two children besides Harry R. Clarence, born in 1888, a farmer in Warrick County, married Ethel Lawrence, who was born in that county, daughter of Peter Lawrence, a farmer. Eugene Anderson, who died at the age of thirty-one, was acigar maker, and by his marriage to Olivio Cummings left three children, Charles; born in 1909, Mary, born in 1912, and Lena, born in 1911.

Harry R. Anderson attended the grade and high schools at Evansville, and graduated from business college in 1910. After a year of work as clerk in the sales department of the Hercules Buggy Company he went west on account of failing health, spent a year in recuperating,and on returning he was an employee of the Adams Express Company and filled several other positions, as bookkeeper, salesman, with Evansville business organizations. Mr. Anderson has some farming interests in Warrick County, growing cattle and hogs, and also has real estate in Evansville.

In 1914 he joined the Evansville police department as a patrolman and later was promoted to motorcycle officer. He resigned in 1918 to join the colors and was with Headquarters Company in the field artillery at Camp Taylor, Kentucky, until discharged in 1919. For two years after the war Mr. Anderson sold automobiles at Evansville. In 1921 he went to the courthouse as deputy county clerk and served in that position five years, an experience that gave him a thorough knowledge of the routine of the county clerk's office. In March, 1926, came his appointment as chief of police of Evansville, and he was the police chief of the city until January 1, 1929, when he entered upon his duties as clerk of the Vanderburg Circuit Court following his election in November, 1928.

He married, at Evansville, August 11, 1918, Miss Bertha Ambrose, daughter of Julius Ambrose, a grocery merchant. Mr. Anderson is a Republican in politics and a member of the B. P. O. Elks.

Here is the historical information on Harry Anderson with the Evansville Police Department. He served as Chief from 1926 to 1928.

If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

Sgt.Richard Hubbard

In March 1926, Nolte was hospitalized with a nervous breakdown and voluntarily took a demotion to detective, stepping down as chief in favor of Harry Anderson on March 29, 1926. Nolte continued as a member of the department until his retirement in 1931. Nolte died in 1933. Nolte's 3-month term as chief was the shortest in the history of the police department.

Harry Anderson

Harry Anderson, the 23rd chief of police, was born in Warrick County. He became active in the Republican Party. He joined the department on November 24, 1916. Prior to joining the department, Anderson worked as a bartender. He was promoted to motorcycleman on January 7, 1918. Anderson was a member of the Evansville Police Relief Association committee that published the book "A Souvenir History of the Evansville Police Department" in 1918.

In 1919, Anderson resigned and became a car salesman. In January 1921, County Clerk Frank Grange appointed Anderson a deputy in the county clerk's office. When the Republicans took control of city hall in January 1926 Mayor Herbert Males appointed William Nolte as his choice to replace Democrat-appointed Ira Wiltshire in the chief's position. After 3 months in the chief's office, Nolte suffered a nervous breakdown and took a voluntary demotion to detective. Anderson returned to the police department after an absence of 7 years as Mayor Males's choice to replace Nolte in the chief's position.

Anderson remained Chief of Police for 33 months. The City Council launched impeachment proceedings against Chief Anderson, License Inspector Benjamin Bartlett, and members of the Board of Public Safety in September 1928. In the 1928 county elections, he was elected county clerk. In late December 1928, Anderson submitted his resignation as chief. The text of Chief Anderson's letter of resignation read as follows:

"Honorable Herbert Males and Board of Safety. Having been elected Clerk of the Vanderburgh Circuit Court the past election and as this term of office begins January first, I hereby tender my resignation as superintendent of the police department to take effect January 1, 1929."

Chief of Detectives Edward Sutheimer was appointed to fill the chief's position for the remaining year of Mayor Males' administration

When Anderson resigned, he had served a total of 6 years as a member of the police department. The department's 8-year experiment with a mounted patrol began in 1927 during Chief Anderson's administration. Anderson ran for county clerk again in the election of 1932. The Roosevelt-Democratic landslide of 1932 buried Anderson, like his fellow Republicans. After losing the election, he returned to the trade that he had practiced before joining the police department in 1916, working as a bartender.

In 1935, Anderson became a milkman. Later in life, he bought a dairy farm in Warrick County. After failing to make that enterprise profitable, he sold it. Anderson then moved back to Evansville, living at 209 First Avenue. He was appointed a Vanderburgh County deputy sheriff. He served as a guard at the Evansville Waterworks during World War II. In 1945 he moved to 26 East Chandler. He died on December 12, 1946. His wife's name was Bertha and he had one brother whom lived in California.

I learned from this Harry Had a brother in California and I assume the Son of his Brother is who got a hold of his Police revolver and later sold it off to the guy I bought it from.I Dug a Little deeper by contacting The Evnasville, Indiana Public Library, and a woman there sent me the Pictures of Harry below and his Obituary that she tracked down in the old files they had. I have hit a brick wall as far as learning any more about Harry Anderson since then, but hope to hear more in the future from the woman in the Public Library who is still searching for information on him.

Above is a Picture of Harry when he was first made Chief of The Evansville, Indiana Police force. He was also in charge of their Motorcycle brigade an experiment they were trying using Motorcycles to answer calls with, as before this, all calls were answered on Bicycles. We have to remember this was around 1926 so I assume the Motorcycles used were either Harley Davidson's or Indian's.The Police department is also shown in the Pictures below and you can see Horses were still used in that time frame. I can't believe just how much harry had done in such a short life span as at the age of 55 Poor Old Harry's Heart gave out and he Passed on

Pre-30 Circa 1958 Ford's Refinishing Project Before

Pre-30 After refinishing with Hard Chrome High Polish

S&W Model 431 .32 H&R Magnum My summer daily carry weapon

See less See more
#4 ·
I have a Smith and Wesson .32 short revolver. Absolutely love it; with it's nickel plating, gutta percha (or hard rubber) grips, top-break, and single action features. I shoots, as I would expect for an 100+ year old gun, from 5 yards in don't step in front of it. I found some 800 fps lead round nose commercial ammo that isn't hot - not hot at all...I bought the gun at an antique show in Charleston SC back in January for under $200. Its a nice little vest pocket "belly" gun! Its been checked and deemed shootable.

#6 ·
I forgot about this little special auto. It is allegedly a Japanese Police Contract overrun (per Sig Sauer). This is a Sig P230, made in Germany; marked Cal 7.65mm (not .32 acp). In addition to a European Style magazine release (on the heel of the butt), it has a rectangular lanyard ring and something rarely seen on a Sig - a slide lock safety. I found it, relatively new in the box (the second magazine was still in the original package unused) at the local Gander Mountain. I was looking at a Rock Island .38 Super when this yelled out from the display case saying you better buy me - I'm special...

#7 ·
Hello
After Reading an article of expanding on the Old Classic .32 S&W Long Caliber, I decided to go with the writers suggestion of using 4.0 Grains of Unique Powder under a 100 Grain Hornady XTP Bullet. The case was starline and Primer was a Winchester standard small Pistol.This charge of Powder really wakes up the cartridge and makes it feel sort of like a .32 S&W Long Magnum. I would not suggest shooting it in anything smaller frame size than a K-Frame S&W as it has a Pretty good report and Kick to it, but it sure was neat Playing with this round Hot Rodded. Here are the results of 50 Shot's fired at the 25 Yard Line off a Sand Bag with my Pre-16 K-32 Masterpiece shown... Hammerdown

#45 ·
Hello
After Reading an article of expanding on the Old Classic .32 S&W Long Caliber, I decided to go with the writers suggestion of using 4.0 Grains of Unique Powder under a 100 Grain Hornady XTP Bullet. The case was starline and Primer was a Winchester standard small Pistol.This charge of Powder really wakes up the cartridge and makes it feel sort of like a .32 S&W Long Magnum. I would not suggest shooting it in anything smaller frame size than a K-Frame S&W as it has a Pretty good report and Kick to it, but it sure was neat Playing with this round Hot Rodded. Here are the results of 50 Shot's fired at the 25 Yard Line off a Sand Bag with my Pre-16 K-32 Masterpiece shown... Hammerdown

After much experimentation, I have found two loads that give max power in old 32 S&W long Colt revolver:

6.5 gr 800X 85 gr Hornady, 1.29", easy out
13 gr LIL'GUN 85 gr HNDY, 1.29", easy out

There is no problem splitting cylinders are going out of time.
~ 3 of them have suffered from damaged forcing cones. If I, or any gunsmith, TIG welds up the forcing cone and cuts it with a little more thickness than the paper thin original cone, the problem never resurfaces.

Those loads should also be very good for 32 H&R mag or 327 Fed mag.

#8 ·
newly turned 32. enthusiast

I am ex military and an avid hunter and shooter for many years. I was recently at a gunshow and decided I have never owned a 32. so I search the tables and found a CZ model 70 and an Iver Johnson breakdown five shot snub nose revolver in 32. long. I am fortunate that I have an indoor range three miles from my home. I obviously couldn't wait to get to the range and shoot the 32.'s. I was immediately hooked, both these guns were extremely accurate and just simply a pleasure to shoot, that is how I found your thread, I looked all over the internet for all the info I could find about this caliber. I am intending to apply for a cwc which my state just got last year. I am now thinking of using the cz 70 as one of my carry weapons. I read so much info on the smallest reliable self defense round n I would take the 32. over my 380. I believe accuracy is more important than raw stopping power if you intend on keeping your eyes open whenyou shoot. There is a gun show coming up the 26th and 27th of December, I plan on being there on the outlook for some more 32.s. Thanks for your information and I am truly impressed by your collection.

#9 ·
Working on a small, themed collection - "Representative 32-20 Double Action Revolvers of the 20th Century" at the moment.

So far one very worn Colt Police Positive Special c.1911, one very nice (90%+) Police Positive Special of 1920s vintage, and a Spanish gun from the mid-20s on the way from Bob in St. Louis as soon as he gets my check. More to come as budget and luck (got to find them, eh?) permit. Several more Colts, and a couple of S&Ws. At least. Who knows, might even find an 1878 i can afford....

#10 ·
Hello
With a continued Lust for the .32 Cartridge, I recently took my S&W Model 16-4 Revolver, which is a .32 H&R Magnum to Hamilton Bowen for a caliber Conversion. Bowen converted it to the new Federal .327 Magnum by lengthening the cylinder throats. It now can safely fire the .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and the New .327 Federal Magnum Cartridge. Shwn below is a Target shot with the .327 Magnum at 20 Yards using a hand load and I also tried shooting the .32 S&W Long Cartridge to see if it efected the accuracy of the shorter round after the modification and was pleased to see it never effected it one bit accuracy wise by lengthening the cylinder throats... Hammerdown

#11 ·
.32's

I love the .32 Long cartridge, although the only revolvers I have chambered for it are some old Bulldogs that can't handle anything but BP or light smokeless.

I have wanted a S&W I frame for a while, my local dealer had a nice blued 4" for some time and by the time I thought about buying it it was gone.....he has some nickeled ones but nickel guns in general don't interest me.

#12 ·
I have two .32 revolvers.

The first is my Grandfather's Colt Army Special in .32-20. According to family legend, he carried it as a survival gun while flying the mail.

The second is a S&W Model 16-4 with a 4" barrel and combat grips. I understand they only made that version for a year, so it might be collectable.

There may be a third in the future, since I'm intrigued by the potential of the .327 Magnum cartridge.

#13 ·
Yes!

I forgot about my lust for a Ruger SP101 in .327, haven't seen but one in my area and it sold before I could come up with the cash, should have put it on layaway. My Hopkins and Allen .32 revolvers are fun but too old to really be "shooters", more like "curios" for the collection. An SP101 would see a lot of use in my hands, with so many ammo options for it and so many applications from plinking to carry. I wish Ruger would put out a 4" SP101 in .327.

I LOVE Ruger revolvers, I'm a recent fan and I buy any of the "Six" series I see if the price is halfway decent, especially the worn police and security guns that I can use the wear and scuffs to get the price down. The SP101 in .327 will allow me to use the quieter .32 H&R "cowboy" rounds in my small backyard pistol range, and load it with .327 for carry use. Used to be the Fiocchi .32 Long wadcutters were cheap, and good all purpose plinking rounds for Nagants and whatever, but even these are now hard to find.

Also love .32 Auto, I've got an older Llama .32 ACP, forget the model but it's a mini 1911 complete with wood grips, I love this little gun and got it cheap at Cabela's with a trade-in for a shotgun. Also got a Yugo CZ-70 and an Ortgies .32, but I'm not too enamored with the Ortgies but will keep it as it was the last gun I bought before I left for Ft. Benning, and also my first handgun purchase that wasn't an antique. It's a nice little shooter but I don't shoot it much, I might just get one of the repro IMA Luftwaffe type holsters and make a little repro WWII Luftwaffe pilot rig for it, just for fun. It's an import, marked "Germany" so it's not a bringback or anything, just a fun little older gun. My must have .32 Auto is a CZ-83 in .32, kind of a rare bird but they're out there.

#14 ·
32 S&W Long revolvers

I have several:

S&W K32 made in 1952 just about new and very accurate

Colt pocket positive round butt 3" bbl as new as when it was made in the 1930s

S&W M631 stainless 4" kit gun in 32 magnum...matches my M62 22lr

S&W M31 blue, square butt, 2" about new

Charter undercover 2" also in 32S&W long, built from a $95 bag of parts, worn but smooth as silk and very accurate for an inexpensive pocket gun

All in all, great revolvers all....

#15 ·
A number of very nice handguns shown here. Don't own anything in the 32 caliber but don't deny it is a viable cartridge. Thanks for the pics guys.

#17 ·
What is a fair going rate for one of them and what is the actual caliber bore? I just love those and want a target gun like that. Maybe I'll have to go pawn my soul...
Hello
If you are speaking of the S&W K-32 Masterpiece they average from $1500.00-2500.00 Range depending on condition and vintage. Mine is a Pre-16 K-32 Masterpiece with a narrow rib Barrel which is Really rare and hard to Locate and it is not for sale at any price...:) Hammerdown

#18 ·
Wild Cat Taken with my S&W Hamilton Bowen modified .327 Magnum Revolver

Hello
Deer season Opened here in East Tennessee Yesterday morning, so I decided to take along my Hamilton Bowen Smith & Wesson Model 16-4 Revolver that had been modified to the new Federal .327 Magnum Caliber. I had been recently hand loading some rounds using brass donated by forum member David Ballantyne {Thank's Dave} and worked up a very Potent load using Accurate Arms #7 Powder along with a Sierra 90 Grain Copper Jacketed Hollow point and CCI-550 Magnum Powder. This Load showed to group the size of a dime on on the 20 Yard Line at my Range Late Thursday afternoon, so I decided to use it hunting.

I had my Marlin 336 Lever rifle chambered in .35 Rem. Caliber as well. I entered the woods just before daylight and Positioned myself about 30 Yards off a main Deer run. I had not seen a Deer and about Quarter to Eight, I began to wonder if the Presence of a Big Wild Cat had spoiled my chances of seeing any Bucks ? My Buddy who owns the land we hunt had warned me he had seen a Huge wild Cat the week before in his back yard about Noon. It apparently was stalking his House Cat's and he Feared it would attack them. I assured him, if I should see it in the woods he would have no more worries.

At 5 Minutes to Eight, I heard a small twig snap behind me. I looked up that way, and there was This Big Bobcat standing there Looking at me. I slowly raised my revolver that was in my lap and took aim. I was shaking fiercely, so I had to tell myself this was the chance of a life time shot, and to calm down. I knew the gun and load would do the Job if I did mine. I gently squeezed the trigger and the cat fell over Instantly.

I then called my Son in law who was hunting with me on his First Deer hunt and told him to get up to where I was sitting. He asked if I had shot a buck, and I told him I had killed that Big Bobcat. He did not believe me, but Joined me shortly. I dragged it out of the brush I had shot him in, and noticed the slug entered his left chest cavity and exited out his right rib cage. When I Gutted him out It had hit his Heart and right Lung before exiting. This cat weighed about 50 pounds and his stomach was the size of a Youth Football in size filled with what appeared to be fresh rabbit. He never made a sound nor moved after I shot him, so I guess it is safe to say the .327 Magnum more than did it's Job, and this may make the Non Belivers of this round take notice of how potent it really is. Before we left the woods, We Paced it off from where I shot this cat from and it was a true 35 Yard shot. I am still in Awe that I Bagged this animal and will have a Full Mount done of him.

#34 ·
Hello
Deer season Opened here in East Tennessee Yesterday morning, so I decided to take along my Hamilton Bowen Smith & Wesson Model 16-4 Revolver that had been modified to the new Federal .327 Magnum Caliber. I had been recently hand loading some rounds using brass donated by forum member David Ballantyne {Thank's Dave} and worked up a very Potent load using Accurate Arms #7 Powder along with a Sierra 90 Grain Copper Jacketed Hollow point and CCI-550 Magnum Powder. This Load showed to group the size of a dime on on the 20 Yard Line at my Range Late Thursday afternoon, so I decided to use it hunting.

I had my Marlin 336 Lever rifle chambered in .35 Rem. Caliber as well. I entered the woods just before daylight and Positioned myself about 30 Yards off a main Deer run. I had not seen a Deer and about Quarter to Eight, I began to wonder if the Presence of a Big Wild Cat had spoiled my chances of seeing any Bucks ? My Buddy who owns the land we hunt had warned me he had seen a Huge wild Cat the week before in his back yard about Noon. It apparently was stalking his House Cat's and he Feared it would attack them. I assured him, if I should see it in the woods he would have no more worries.

At 5 Minutes to Eight, I heard a small twig snap behind me. I looked up that way, and there was This Big Bobcat standing there Looking at me. I slowly raised my revolver that was in my lap and took aim. I was shaking fiercely, so I had to tell myself this was the chance of a life time shot, and to calm down. I knew the gun and load would do the Job if I did mine. I gently squeezed the trigger and the cat fell over Instantly.

I then called my Son in law who was hunting with me on his First Deer hunt and told him to get up to where I was sitting. He asked if I had shot a buck, and I told him I had killed that Big Bobcat. He did not believe me, but Joined me shortly. I dragged it out of the brush I had shot him in, and noticed the slug entered his left chest cavity and exited out his right rib cage. When I Gutted him out It had hit his Heart and right Lung before exiting. This cat weighed about 50 pounds and his stomach was the size of a Youth Football in size filled with what appeared to be fresh rabbit. He never made a sound nor moved after I shot him, so I guess it is safe to say the .327 Magnum more than did it's Job, and this may make the Non Belivers of this round take notice of how potent it really is. Before we left the woods, We Paced it off from where I shot this cat from and it was a true 35 Yard shot. I am still in Awe that I Bagged this animal and will have a Full Mount done of him.

Hello
I finally got my Wild Cat Mount back yesterday after a 10 Month wait. I had asked the Taxidermist to mount him in a Full action Pose of attack mode. I will eventually add a large Fox squirrel or Rabbit between his paws when I find the right donor. The Taxidermist shared with me that this was the largest Wild Cat he had ever seen or mounted being 41-1/2" in length, and feels it may very well be a Tennessee State record due to it's size Proportion. He said that he had in the past mounted well over 200 cats from all over the United states, but this one was the biggest that he had ever seen or mounted. He had to order Two-forms to mount him on due to his size. He also commented on his eye color as he said most that he had mounted in the past were more brown in color and these eyes were custom ordered from England as they are of much higher quality than those offered in the United states and they seem to follow you across the room. The Mount adjusts up or down by taking down Two 1/2" Nuts located under the base, and there is Two 3/8" steel rods inside the Mold to stiffen the Pose. He will reside in our living room on a custom built corner shelf

#19 ·
That is Awesome

I was talking about the 16-4 or a 16-6 if they made them, a K frame is out of my league. I like this bore diameter as I also have 2 .32s. A CZ 70 and a Colt 1903. My Colt is a rough worn but honest first model and the CZ70 like new. Both shoot very well and I would like to see a small revolver in my future.

The Bobcat is sweet and I would take the shot, too. We have Cougars in my area(actually seen by my father) so I take my .357 with me hunting.

#20 ·
God I love 32 caliber in pistols. I dunno why but I do. My favorite is and H&R WHEELGUN. It's a stout peice. All I did to it and numerous other H&R wheelguns of modern steel was make a steel hammer spring end as the plastic on many of them is not up to the job !.
I've been loading for 32 Short , Long and 32ACP for many years and never really tired of them. Hell I got rid of the wife's H&R 22 9 shooter and got her a Kel-tec 32 auto. Her parents went and got Kel -tec 32's for their CCW's.
I like the versitality of using short or longs in the wheelgun.
Only thing I would'nt do is shoot such a beautiful cat. a worthless Rat or mole and for sure a rabbit for the skillet in a heartbeat.
I grew up hunting , but I also grew up not shooting anything I was'nt gonna eat unless it was a small vermin. I've been all over KY and western WV and have never seen a wildcat or bobcat , are they plentiful in the carolinas ?. Anyhow some beautiful revolvers pictured here. And what's the story on the SIG in 7,65 that's not 32 ACP... is it in the french 7,65 pistol chambering ?.

#22 ·
P230 is a straight blowback design, usually seen in 380 (9mm Kurz, sometimes called 9x17), but also available in 22LR, 6.35mm and 7.65mm. That 7.65mm is the normal European designation of what we in the USA call 32 ACP and many guns offered in 9mmK (a/k/a 9mm Short) are also produced in 32 ACP versions. I can find no indication that the P230 was ever offered in 7.65 French Long, and i doubt it would work as the round is too long for the platform.

#21 ·
I have a Ruger SP101-4" barrel in .32 Mag. Love to shoot it and is built like a tank. I also reload for it and this is the way to go to get the round to perform.

What interests me is apparently ( on the above posts) you can take a .32 Mag and adjust the cylinders to make it a .327. Is this a pretty safe way to go? The pressures on a .327 must be much greater than the other rounds. Anyone have any details on the conversion?

Thanks

Jamsy

#25 ·
I have a Ruger SP101-4" barrel in .32 Mag. Love to shoot it and is built like a tank. I also reload for it and this is the way to go to get the round to perform.

What interests me is apparently ( on the above posts) you can take a .32 Mag and adjust the cylinders to make it a .327. Is this a pretty safe way to go? The pressures on a .327 must be much greater than the other rounds. Anyone have any details on the conversion?

Thanks

Jamsy

Hello Jamsy
The Modification involves a simple extension of the cylinder throats another 1/8" and from what I have been told any .32 H&R Magnum revolver of Beefier design than the Original H&R hand gun the round was designed for can take this Modification and works well. The Pressure of the Federal .327 Magnum round is about Twice of the .32 H&R Magnum being an average of 40,000 PSI for the Federal .327 Magnum compared to 20,000 PSI for the .32 H&R Magnum Cartridge. I have been told that The Ruger model you have is an Excellent Candidate for this conversion. I would suggest you call Bowen Classic Arm's and speak with Hamilton Bowen on this to be certain but for $100.00 it is a no Brainer to getting maximum dirversity out of your handgun...Here is a Link to his Web Page which has his E-mail and contact number.. Hammerdown

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

#27 ·
When I stated the Model 16s were K-frames like the Model 19 I guess I wasn't clear - was discussing the FRAME size, not what sort of barrel that was put on them

I'd really like a Combat Masterpiece 32 - adjsutable sights, K-frame, rib, ramp front sight, short (NOT full - very awkward to my eye) lug. Actually - I'd like two, one in .327 Federal, one in 32-20...

That is a real beauty of a Target model. Besides being rare.

#28 ·
Hey Hammerdown- 7

Thanks for the information and the link. I will check this out. Do you suppose "Numerichs" or Brownells would carry and extra cylinder? I like to have both a "stock .32 mag cylinder and a .327. I know you can shoot .32 mag in the .327.
I doubt Ruger would sell a cylinder without first having the damaged one in hand??

Also I am not sure if it is worth the effort if you can get the .32 mag up to 1200-1300fps. I think I am around 1100fps with my current loads. I really need a chrongraph to do this right.
Although lots of folks perfer the .380 over the .32 mag in the "stock " loadings. I don't think they realise how much can be done with the .32 Mag.

#30 ·
Hey Hammerdown- 7

Thanks for the information and the link. I will check this out. Do you suppose "Numerichs" or Brownells would carry and extra cylinder? I like to have both a "stock .32 mag cylinder and a .327. I know you can shoot .32 mag in the .327.
I doubt Ruger would sell a cylinder without first having the damaged one in hand??
Hello Jamsy
Bowen checks the hardness of the cylinders he Modifies prior to doing it. He has more than Likely done several like yours and would know right off if it can be done safely. I would have a gun smith attempt getting a .327 Magnum cylinder from Ruger if you fear issues with modifying yours, But the Price will be about Three times what Bowen charges to Modify one...You will never reach the velocity shooting a .32 H&R round of the new .327 Magnum. I have tried it prior to Modifying mine and they will Not hold as much Powder and on the upper end you will Blow primers trying to get them there..I have no Idea what Numerich or Brownells would have for your Gun I Own strickly S&W's and I know they do not have these cylinders for mine..Hammerdown

#29 ·
This is a great thread. Some really nice .32's shown.

Really surprised to see the Evansville, IN connected revolver. My Dad and his family are from there, my sister lives there, and I grew up in a county right next to Vanderburgh where Evansville is located. Even I still live very close to Evansville.

#32 ·
Sure some nice .32 guns featured here. I always like to see Hammerdown's assortment of classic revolvers. Mitch's .32 Colt Officer's Model is particularly eye catching. I also like Colt Model 1903 automatics like Carguy714's. I'm going to get one of those some day.

I've accidentally acquired more .32s than I thought I really wanted over the years. They're a lot of fun to use though. My .32 revolvers include: Colt New Pocket in .32 Long Colt, a Colt Police Positive, a newly acquired Colt New Navy in .32-20, a Smith & Wesson I-frame .32 S&W Long from around World War I, and my favorite, a .32-20 Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector.

Here's some photos of the cleanest one, the little I-Frame Smith & Wesson.

Best group of the day at 10 yards.

One of the best shooting revolvers I have, a .32-20 Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector.

#33 · (Edited)
Wow!

It is so cool to find that I am not alone in my .32 fetish! Thus far my collection is nothing to get too worked up about, but I enjoy it.
  • S&W Hand Ejector I-frame .32 S&W Long, nickle finish
  • Colt Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long)
  • Savage 1907 .32 ("ten shots quick")
  • Walther PPK in .32 (made the same year as me [pre '68]).
  • CZ50 .32 acp (used to shoot well, but now needing some work)
  • A Belgian "bulldog" folding trigger revolver in .32 short Colt
  • A Belgian "bulldog" in .32 S&W
  • A "Secret Service Special" break-top in .32 S&W (Spanish made model so, unless I'm mistaken, it's one of the last models).
Of the above, the top-break gun and the "bulldog" in .32 S&W are project guns, each bought at wall-hanger price and needing a wee bit of work (springs and/or a small part or two) to get going. The whole "bulldog" design has become a bit of an obsession with me of late, too. I have two others in .38 S&W, one in great shape, the other missing a hammer (in fact, I bought the great shape one in order to get the dimensions to try to make a hammer for the other one --- I'm nothing if not ambitious).

I really need to get that CZ50 up and running again. I've used it to introduce new shooters to centerfire guns and one day the granddaughter will be big enough to want to shoot it.

The S&W and Colt are pretty nice. They aren't perfect by any means, showing a bit of wear here and there, but are overall in very good condition. They both shoot quite well too! :cool: I much prefer the trigger on the Smith. Those little I-frames have become one of my favorite revolvers to own and shoot. I plan on adding a few more to my collection ... once I recover from the holidays, of course. :rolleyes:

For awhile I carried a S&W 31-1 j-frame .32 S&W Long as a backup and off-duty piece. I injured my wrists and my PD had it in inventory so, I got it and qualified with it. I found some "Cowboy" ammo loaded with 115 grain lead flat-points that shot to point of aim and seemed to have decent penetration. The most recoil sensitive person I know said that little J-frame was "fun to shoot." I had to give it back, but I've been looking for a model 30-1 (the round-butt version). I've found a few but thus far the owners have been a wee bit proud of 'em so I'm still lookin'. ;)

I'm still qualified with the PPK. I get a few comments about it being "just" a .32 but I don't think the heart, aorta, nor central nervous system of a bad guy will notice whether it's a .32, a .38. or a .40 passing through. Truth be told, though, I need to retire it and probably will shortly. The better to keep it in good shape and all that.

I'd like to see a modern version of the Savage ... well, I guess if I could find one of those nearly mythical CZ83s in .32 that might serve, eh? In any case it's something holding that bit of art deco workmanship and know I'm holding a fully functional pistol that was made mere months after the Titanic sank! How many other pieces of machinery will run while all original and almost 97 years old?

Glad to know I'm not the only person keeping the .32s alive! Carry on my fellow 7.65 addicts! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.