Default Opinions on Hungarian FEG Hi-Power Clone

Ok fellas, saw a Hungarian FEG Clone of the Browning Hi-Power when I was making one of my last payments on a .357 at my local shop, and wondered if anyone had some experience. I have read mostly good things online, and am thinking of putting some money down on it when I pay off the revolver in the next couple of days. Really liked the feel of it in my hand, and figured it'd be a nice addition to my collection. I also like the magazine options, and the ability to use Browning or FN parts if it needs fixed.

What are you guys' thoughts of it? How reliable? Any problems?

I can get it for a hair over $200, which seems to be in the "go zone" for these things, which is a plus. I've never had a big thing for Hi-Powers, so I am not very likely to save a bit more for a different maker, especially since I have a 9mm already.

If I buy it, how likely is it to be a huge pile of crap? How dependable will it be?

Thanks...

FEG made two versions, one is closely related to GP-35, second only looks like GP-35. The model is marked on the pistol, find out what model it is and post it here.

Will do, for sure. I did see something about there being two versions.

Until then, I'd still be interested in experience with both the clone and the imposter, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandomatic View Post
    Ok fellas, saw a Hungarian FEG Clone of the Browning Hi-Power when I was making one of my last payments on a .357 at my local shop, and wondered if anyone had some experience. I have read mostly good things online, and am thinking of putting some money down on it when I pay off the revolver in the next couple of days. Really liked the feel of it in my hand, and figured it'd be a nice addition to my collection. I also like the magazine options, and the ability to use Browning or FN parts if it needs fixed.

What are you guys' thoughts of it? How reliable? Any problems?

I can get it for a hair over $200, which seems to be in the "go zone" for these things, which is a plus. I've never had a big thing for Hi-Powers, so I am not very likely to save a bit more for a different maker, especially since I have a 9mm already.

If I buy it, how likely is it to be a huge pile of crap? How dependable will it be?

Thanks...
    I have no experience with the FEG FP9 or P9M http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg130-e.htm but i do own a FEG P9R http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg131-e.htm as the first 9mm handgun my father and I bought. It needed new springs, but it was also used so i can't fault that on the design. So far i am yet to be more accurate than it is.

It has so far fed with all bullet types i've given it (FMJ, PPU hollow points, hornady hollow points, remington golden saber, fiocchi leadless) however for some reason copper washed sellier and bellot cases get stuck after firing most of the time. The extractor works fine (sometimes takes a chunk out of the rim), the brass gets stuck and pliers or a rod is necessary to ram it out so i expect it's chamber related. I keep it to wolf which it likes. While major components of the p9r are proprietary many of the smaller parts are still browning high power and the hammer drop safety is straight from an S&W 59.

The straight high power clones are supposed to be better, parts are largely interchangeable with P-35, and though my P9R had warts it worked out and i would still have bought it.
    RIP BBQ Sam

Default FEG

Dont get the double action model. The single action is excellent. FIVESHOT

Like I said, I'm not much into Hi-Powers, but I thought they were as a rule double action. This one didn't appear to be DA when I checked it out in the shop and it kind of surprised me.

Like I said, I'm not much into Hi-Powers, but I thought they were as a rule double action. This one didn't appear to be DA when I checked it out in the shop and it kind of surprised me.
    Eh? GP-35 is single action. FN started making double action version of GP-35 maybe in the last ten years or so.

I have two FEG "P-35'" pistols. Both are excellent reliable pistols. For $200.00 your are getting a good pistol.
    "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine!":eek:

Like I said, never was into Hi-Powers! That's downright embarrassing to be that wrong, but I've never shot one and before yesterday, had never held one. Maybe it's because I always looked at that pistol as being John Browning's improvement on the 1911, which in itself isn't 100% since he died in 1926 and during his lifetime, couldn't even use much of the 1911's features because Colt bought the patent! Apparently a Belgian Dieudonné Saive is responsible for using Browing's earlier work when the patents expired after Browing died. Ya learn something every day.

Well, it is the single action version, and it read PJK-9HP on the side, so from what I have found, it is the single action version. Put her on lay-away for the wife!

http://www.hungariae.com/FegPJK.htm

nice gun, especially for the price. FEG makes some quality guns.

I have two of the browning clones. The FEG and the Charles Daly. The FEG was in the same price range, I think around $230 when I got it. The Charles Daly was more (not much, can't exactly remember how much), it was labelled as used, but was never fired. The Charles Daly shoots "straighter" for me, and groups better, so I like it better. The FEG is still fun to shoot tho. and for the price, I'd buy it all over again.

My FEG has the different slide stop, but the browning mags work and the barrel also fits. I've fed it Wolf thru Golden Sabres, no hicups. I did get some hammer-bite, but not bad (didn't hurt until the next day, and even then it was more of a bruise then anything).

Howard

Last edited by blasterboy82; 07-18-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Default FEG

Didnt feg make the mauser copies of the highpower?

FIVESHOT

I believe that Charles Daly HPs are made using FEG parts. At least they used to be.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Here's the story from KBI (Charles Daly). They no longer import the FEG pistols and I couldn't find a current importer.

http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1960

Guys, I've posted this on some other forums in the past but I'll repeat it here for our true fans.

The number one reason we discontinued the HP was due to the fact we lost our shirts selling them. It was a disaster from the beginning. It's a somewhat long story, so bear with me as I try and recount it for you....

We started with a great idea. Take the FEG PJK-9HP, which we sold in huge numbers under the KBI banner for a more than a decade, bring the bulk of the parts to the US, machine and add enough to legally change the country of origin to Made in the US, put the Charles Daly name on it, and make a bundle!

(Anecdote: the PJK-9HP was named for my wife, Pamela Jane Kassnar!)

We are importers, not manufacturers so we had to find a domestic manufacturer to do the work we wanted done. We partnered with Dan Wesson and the work began. The first 800 or so were completed and brought to market and at the price we needed to charge for them, they didn't sell well. FN was selling their HP at that time for only $50 more than the CD and the market, given the option of the original or the clone at prices that were so close, they chose the FN.

After completion of those first 800 guns, which by the way took almost 8 months if I remember correctly, DW went out of business (later to be acquired by CZ-USA). We were left with over 3,000 parts kits, which we had paid for, and no one to do the manufacturing for us.

It took us almost another year and a half before we connected with a company called Contract Manufacturing. CM was doing work for Magnum Research and came very highly recommended to us. During the negotiations with CM, as luck would have it, MR purchased CM. When we then signed the agreement to finish the rest of the kits, we could now say that MRI was the manufacturer, which in fact they were.

It took us another year to finish the kits. And during that year the guns were not selling well at all, primarily due to the competition from FN.

So after over 3 years and dismal sales, we finally made the decision to cut our continued losses and liquidate the remaining inventory. When we cut the price for the closeout, putting us about $150.00 under FN, the sales finally took off. Consumers were rightfully thrilled to have a quality HP, backed by the CD warranty, at around $349.00! What a deal!

But no company can stay in business very long selling their products at a loss. We had to drop the project after that.

In later years, FN raised their prices, and we revisited the idea of resurrecting the project. However, by then, FEG was in bankruptcy and if we wanted to buy kits from them again, it would have to be at a much higher price, possibly putting us close to FN again.

Even if we could compete on price, with the recent events surrounding our acquisition of the Jericho project, it would be highly unlikely that MRI would be interested in working with us on more HP's.

No, this project is not for us. It is a great gun, and yes, FN is at a much higher price point now, but after losing hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of 3-4 years, its left a bad taste in our mouths. We've moved on to other, hopefully more profitable projects.

We are well aware of the FM in Argentina as we competed with them for many years when we sold the PJK. But again, this is not for us. The G4, Jericho, the Bul M5, the new CD9, are all more interesting and certainly have more profit potential, which is after all, the reason we are in business.

So there you have it. Some projects work out and some don't. The CD HP turned out to be a great deal for the American consumer at the price we had to sell them, but they were a disaster for Charles Daly.

Manufacturers, Importers and Distributors of Charles Daly and other fine firearms.

www.CharlesDaly.com
    www.CharlesDalyDefense.com
    www.CharlesDalyForum.com

And from http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4916350

KBI (my company) and Kassnar Imports (my father's old company) imported umpteen thousands of FEG pistols and their AKM rifles from the mid-80's until today. They had different issues at different times, but the function was always very good even if the finishing at times left something to be desired. The prices were always fantastic.

For you to truly understand my relationship to FEG pistols and rifles over the years, I will pass on a little known fact about some of the model names that came here to the US:

The PJK-9HP was named for my wife, Pamela Jane.
    The MBK-9HP and MBK-9HPC were named for me.
    The PMK-380 was named for my father, Paul Martin
    The GKK-45, GKK-92 and GKK-92C were all named for my daughter.
    The SMC-380, SMC-918 and SMC-22 were named for my sales manager at the time (who got jealous that I was naming all the guns after my family).
    Then my sister complained that we had not named anything after her and I replied that there already was one named for her, the AK. Her name is Alexis!

And of course FEG was intimately involved with the Charles Daly HP project, producing all of the components that were ultimately finished in the US.

FEG also sold some of these same models at various times to the old Interarms company and Century. (FEG could never be trusted to honor any exclusives for very long!) That is why you see some of the same guns with different model designations over the years. However, all of the above model names belonged to Kassnar or KBI so they could only have come from these two companies.

For those of you that have any of the above models, and you require service some day, please contact our Service Department. Though all of them are no longer under warranty, (except for the Daly HP), and some were not even sold by KBI but by Kassnar Imports which went out of business in 1989, there is a good chance that we still have some parts (though not all parts) and we will do our best to help you out, as we did for the gentleman (platform) who had a FEG pistol imported by one of our competitors.

Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    I believe that Charles Daly HPs are made using FEG parts. At least they used to be.
    Yes, that is correct. Dan Wesson and Magnum Research made the Charles Daly HP's. I should say "assembled" the HP's. Mine was assembled by Magnum Research.

Follow the link to the charles daly website forum. There is a lot of information about the FEG you are looking at:
    http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Howard

The PJK-9HP is the best European copy of the Browning. The other Feg models are different in various ways. $200 is a very fair price.

I too have thought about getting one. They always look nice.......for some reason have always been a little hesitant. A bunch on gunbroker right now for 250 or less....I would want a p35 version though......My wife loves my israeli high power, if I can get her more comfortable with it I could get her an FEG and she could keep it for self defense in our room......

I'll let you know how it runs when I pay it off and pick it up. I first thought it might be Israeli at a glance, but decided the price couldn't be beaten. I usually have a lot more luck buying things like this anyway. Been burned a couple of times by brand new out of the box guns that cost enough to be perfect...

Hiya-

I have one of the FEG HP clones. I picked it up off a friend for about what you are paying for yours.

Let me start by saying they are WONDERFUL pistols. They shoot great, and in 9mm dont kick much. There is very little muzzle flip, and pretty much anyone can shoot it decently.

I think you will be very happy with yours.

Pete

I put some mo' money down on it the other day with a buddy of mine. Good kid, student of mine for a few years, and our families have gotten to be pretty good friends. Anyway, he rode with me to the gunshop, and low and behold that FEG I am buying is the very same one he and his dad had for a while before selling it.

Buy one. You won't regret it.

Very good pistol,at that price get it.

Paid it off the other night, cleaned it, and plan to shoot it this weekend. Camera is dead, or I'd post pics. I'm pretty excited, and my wife seems to dig "her" first pistol. Lookin' to get some 17 rd mags, I think. I see Mec-Gar makes 20 rd mags, might be worth a try. I love cheap pistols. Laid down 10$ on a 75$ Nagant revolver while I was there too!

I think. I see Mec-Gar makes 20 rd mags, might be worth a try.

Here's a Mec-Gar 20 in my Registered 1973 Browning.

They work pretty well, but sometimes the second shot hangs up. Loading 19 helps.

Shots on a pair of sawchaps;

Last edited by 9.3x57; 09-05-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    Formerly LeeSpeed; I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth...and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary...I believe in the Holy Spirit...the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.

Thanks for the heads up on the mags... I'm always leary of extra-high-cap mags ever since I got burned on a 15 rounder for an M1911 that you couldn't even LOAD 15 into, let alone USE.

I hope my wife takes to it pretty well (If she doesn't I figure I will!). I usually prefer .45, but have had to work pretty hard to do anything with my 1911s, kind of a learning curve and ammunition affordability issue. The Walther P22 has worked wonders in helping to become a better pistol shot. As for a "real" caliber, if she's got 13-20 9mm rounds, well, if she learns it pretty well, she oughta be OK, you know?