Default MAS 49/56 Price check

I have what looks to be an unfired MAS 49/56 with sling, bayonet, nite sites, French Army scope, mount and case. I'm sure the rifle is arsenal refinished. I'm not interested in selling, but I need to put a value on it. I'd appreciate any help.

I gave $199.99 about ten years ago when SOG had them. Scopes were $300 extra. I don't have any idea how much more now.

Dennis Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBannon View Post
    I have what looks to be an unfired MAS 49/56 with sling, bayonet, nite sites, French Army scope, mount and case. I'm sure the rifle is arsenal refinished. I'm not interested in selling, but I need to put a value on it. I'd appreciate any help.

I think that's what I paid or close to it. I know the scope was more expensive than the rifle. It's a nice combo but I've never got around to firing it. It has a P78 in a box which is I believe is the year rebuild stamp.

Default Ballpark $1000

The MAS 49/56 in the condition you speak are in the $550-700 range in my part of the woods.... (Alaska) with all accessories and scope add $500 more.

So ball park price figure $1000.00

I paid $550 for mine in the same condition with all accessories (sadly without scope) in 2007..... (Anchorage, AK)
    AK_MILSURP
    Benefactor Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, Alaska Gun Collectors Association
    Life member, VFW
    Anchorage, AK
    www.amga.net

"Remember the Range day, And keep it holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim"

I paid 1250.00 for a 49/56.................in 1984.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Default Ouch....Vic ...I had No Idea.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    I paid 1250.00 for a 49/56.................in 1984.
    OUCH...... That had to Hurt when the 49/56 "Invasion" took place.

I had a local friend that "teased" me with a 49/56 back around that time....83/84

I wanted it......he let me "fondle" it....even take it home....Knowing I would take it apart and clean it for him.

If I remember correctly ....he wanted about $700 ....I agreed...by phone.....

A few days later....he now wanted about $1200 ..... Perhaps he found you vic ;-)

I declined......ran lots of Wanted ads in SGN....finally snagged one in 1985 for $500 .....still have that one.......has the RARE Closed end Muzzle Brake/Type 2 below......instead of the Common Open Flash Hider....Type 3

Ahhhhh .....The Good Ol' Days

Buddy

PS......Vic...did many deals like yours.........

1984 paid $850 for a Hakim
    1982 traded a Steyr AUG for a really Nice Vz52....yeah 7.62x45 .....OUCH !
    1983 traded a Colt SP1 Carbine and $800 cash for a Vz52/57....Mint...No Importers Marks

Luckily....most of my Collection was purchased LONG ago......WAY Below Current Value

Last edited by Buddy; 08-05-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Buddy,

What is the serial number range of your 49-56 with the type 2 muzzle brake? there is a controversy here about when MAS switched to flash hiders.

I didn't notice before the specks of lint lodged in the holes of the type 2 muzzle brake, it's a good reminder to always brush the nook and crannies before taking a closup picture.

kelt

Quote Originally Posted by kelt View Post
    Buddy,

What is the serial number range of your 49-56 with the type 2 muzzle brake? there is a controversy here about when MAS switched to flash hiders.

kelt
    My Type 2 Muzzle Brake 49/56 serial Number is G41178

Again....purchased WAY Before the 49/56 "Importation Wave"

also Kelt.......go look at this thread again....>>> K-Var Mas 49/56 Scope Mount ....about early L806 Mounts

Buddy

Thanks Buddy, and done.
    As for the type 2 muzzle brake, they appear to have been fitted on up to the early H serie and were replaced by the open flash hider around H20.000, and retrofitted on all refurbished rifles.

kelt