Gunboards Forums banner

Is it possible? 7.62x25 Mauser

10K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Mordecai 
#1 ·
I have made a few rifles at school (Trindad State Junior College) such as .308, 30-06 and a 25-06 all on Argentine 1910 mauser actions,,,a friend at work wanted to know if it was possible to make a rifle using a mauser action and chamber it for the 7.62x25 cartridge,,,I told him I did not know and had never given it any thought. could this be done maybe using a mauser short action,,,I wonder if the 7.62x25 cartridge would have enough velocity to exit a long barrel,,,just wondering,,,SEMPER FI:confused:

#4 ·
Probably could be done, but not worth all the effort that it would entail IMHO. Much better would be to start with a Spanish Destroyer Carbine with poor barrel or that Bubba has already gotten hold of. Mags, bolt face should work with little or no alteration, plus could be made lighter and handier than anything built on even a short Mauser action. That would make a dandy "walking around" rifle.

#5 ·
it could be done & would make a neat little plinker. the best & easiest way i could see to do it would be to bush the bolt face to the correct size then cut the bolt for a sako style .223 extractor. position it so its under the orginal extractor when the bolt is closed.leave the original extractor in place just grind off the front of it. if you ever split a casehead the original extractor will prevent the sako extractor from flying out the side of the receiver.
figure out what type of magazine your going to use & make a magwell adaptor for it. you could also move the bolt stop forward about 1 1/4". to shorten the stroke wen cycling the action.
i've always wanted to shorten a 98 by about 1 1/2" & chamber it in 45auto.

#6 ·
did one years ago on a savage 340 / 225 .222 rem. action with an old 03 30/06 barrel that was setback [now ssk like to make a big deal about there 300 ultra wisper nothing new there just a 30 tok with a 150 gr. bullet as a mater of fact out red pals were doing it in ww2]

#7 ·
I wish someone would make a barrel for those cheap "tip up" single action rifles in 7.62x25mm. Or all the tip up single shot shotguns around (same thing?) It Would make a nice cheap plinker!

I have an old 20ga. single shot in the gun room....any one want to fit a 7.62x25mm liner in there? Should be loads of meat in the chamber area to mount a sight or scope mount!

#8 ·
I wish someone would make a barrel for those cheap "tip up" single action rifles in 7.62x25mm.
Ed Harris over at the Cast Bullet Association web board has a rather lengthy experiment doing just that. He started with a .410 Single shot Beretta and had several new barrels made that drop right in. The calibers he's experimenting with are .357/.38 Special, .32 S&W, .32 H&RM .45ACP, and a few others. I seem to recall he told me his cost per barrel set was about $75 to $100 each.

I shot the .45ACP conversion quite a bit last time we went to the range. With the long barrel he's using, the sound level is such that hearing protection is optional. Very accurate out to 100 yards or so. We were pinging a steel silhouette out at 100 yards with head shots and open sights.

Pretty neat little rig. I am sure a 7.62x25 conversion would be easy peasy.

He calls the project his "bunny gun" project. You can do a search for the word "bunny" and see all his threads on the project.

Here is one post with good photos showing the results of his work with the bunny guns:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=2797&forum_id=48&highlight=Bunny

#12 ·
I have built a 7.62x25mm on a 1903 Turkish Mauser [Orberndorf].

I have also built a 223 on a 1903.

I am not doing either any more.
I hate the extractor work.

I got a Rem721 30-06 barrel off Ebay and cut down the breech, threaded and chambered it.

At that time the 30 Mauser reamer was much cheaper, and had the same dimensions.

With S&B factory ammo, the best I did was 1.2" 3 shot group at 100 yards.
I think I could do better with 110 gr handloads, if I ever took it back to the range.

#13 ·
Another alternative is to do what the Chinese did--they converted M1 carbines to 7.62X25 as well as Japanese bolt guns. I have examples of both. The carbine came without a magazine but I was able to make one by pop riveting a hobby shop brass square section piece on to the magazine spine to better align the cartridges in the magazine.

#14 ·
I found, in a gunshow junk box, some 1911 barrels converted to 7.62x25 by swaging in 30 cal barrels.

I posted that on line, and some guy was willing to pay anything to get them.
He thought they had some Chinese historical significance.
He has them now:)

#15 ·
he may be right I have an old issue of shooting times that lists vc conversions some very crude done to a 1911 its around 1970
Ill try to find it later
that said I have been working on a a 7.62x25 conversion
I have a gew88 reciever I threaded a .30 cal bbl for
but I have no chamber ream.The bolt head I can make

#16 · (Edited)
I am said "goofball". I obtained thru many years of patience and stoke of luck a Springfield 1911 converted by unknown, although likely Chinese, means. The advent of the recent Yugo M57 Tokarev pistols has given me a slew of magazines to experiment with...

I did want Clark's barrels to put with the pistol and to see if any of the conversion work was shared. And Clark didn't rake me too hard over the coals. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.