have never handled one that had been converted. My old gunsmith
    friend told me he did a few of them years ago when it was popular
    to do so, but after doing a few he talked a few guys into just buying
    a Mauser 98 rather than having the conversion done. He said it wasnt
    much of an improvement and it was expensive. Do any of you guys
    own Mauser 93, 94, etc that have been converted? Is there much of
    a difference? Regards, Jericho.

Not a worthwhile modification.

I have a couple 98's that cock on opening and a swede 96 that cocks on closing. Makes no difference to me which works "better". Shooting offhand and cranking two or three rounds thru the action while trying to hit a 100 yd target I can't tell the difference.
    Delta co. 1st Bn 8th Inf. 1969.
    Plei Trap Valley Duck and Dodge Club.

Polk County, Florida - out in the boonies

I did not convert my 96 Sporter. It had already been bubbaed when I started it and I had the bolt altered, low safety, added a Timney trigger, barrel shortened & recrowned, a beautiful walnut stock and scope mounts but my Smith talked me out of the cock on opening conversion. I have not found it to be a hinderance whatsoever. The action is as slick as oiled glass.
    American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!
    http://fantasyofflight.com/
    VENISON - It's whats for Dinner!

Default conversion

I have had a couple guys tell me the same thing, that when your
    shooting the rifle, you dont notice the cock on closing.

The conversions are expensive and not worth the expense or effort. They also may not be a good idea at all.

For the best information about it, I suggest buying a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Mauser Rifles M91 to M98: A Shop Manual.

It has a complete section on the cock-on-opening conversions.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=661999

Default Dayton Traister

Dayton Traister is the most popular and easily found conversion kit. It takes some measuring and grinding.
    http://www.daytraco.com/
    How many psi in a CUP?

Default Cock on Opening

The big advantage to cock on opening conversions is a much shorter firing pin fall, thus quicker lock time. The big disadvantage to cock on opening conversions is a much shorter firing pin fall. This can lead to light strikes unless a very heavy mainspring is used. I think the conversions come with a new mainspring for this reason.

I contacted Dayton Traister several years ago and inquired if it is possible to use the cocking piece for the cock on open kit and modify it to cock on close. I was interested in the shorter firning pin fall and faster lock time without sacrificing the cock on close feature. I was told it can be done that way.

I have one Swedish Mauser that was converted to cock on opening using the Dayton Trasiter kit and the others are cock on close. I prefer cock on close.......Mike

Tried the Dayton Traister conversion of a 96 Swede sporter. In spite of my following the directions exactly, and spending much time and effort to get it to work I could not get it to work acceptably. Much too much effort to open the bolt and a couple of gunsmiths I consulted said to forget it. Later I bought a new bolt body and got rid of the converted one.

I've never had a problem with the cock on closing feature. I suspect its replacement by cock on opening may be a 19th century relic of the need for more closing force to deal with poorly sized or dirty military cartridges. Or maybe just another Mauser selling point like the 3rd lug.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Default cock on open

I have done several and will do a few more in the future. The first one took me about an hour and a half. the second and third took only about an hour. I like the cock on open better, just my opinion. It is not for the timid, or weekend practicing gunsmith, It takes a little knowledge and skill to do it correctly. Just one more custom featcher you can add to a blank canvas of a G.I. Mauser rifle for a complete rebuild.

I did the Dayton Traister Mod. on a 6.5 Swed. for the neat safety. I had alittle trouble at first but DT set me straight and after alittle filing it works great. I don't have a problem with cock on closing I just wanted the low profile safety

I don't particularly like the DT safety either. it's dependent on pressure from a little piece of nylon to keep it in place. If that gets worn or bent the safety lever flops around. A spring detent would be a lot safer.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.