Gunboards Forums banner

N korea and vietnam sks ?

12K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Prince50 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when they started and ended production of the sks in these countries? What is an average price for one of these? There was a vietnamese on the wts board awhile back but was way high. Thanks

#31 · (Edited)
Rayman,

Please note the rear sights are not Russian. They have Russian style markings, but do not match any known Russian or Sino I've ever seen.

The 8's and 4's are not right. It's just as possible that someone copied the plans to the N'th degree, and left the upside down U on the stamped rear sight, not knowing any better.

The Blade Bayonets and rear sights are of Russian design, but not Russian at all, unless someone can show me different.

Agreed the machined receivers could have been produced and shipped, but not probable, as an SKS is not that hard to make. Possibly more expensive and slower than stamping, but not really that hard.

Production information was available for any country who opposed the USA, tool paths, sizes, blueprints ect... With a standard WWII Bridgeport, and a good lathe you could easily be producing 20 SKS rifles a day, once you got good at it.

The real kicker would be to compare the overall quality of a 1962 type 1 with a 1965 type 1. I am willing to offer my rifle for this observation, as it is nearly perfect and easy to compare.

As to the Yugoslavians manufacturing the type1, the lack of chrome bore and bayonet, and lack of purple hue in the finished product would convince me otherwise. I doubt they even provided receivers, as their metalurgy almost always blues with a plum color.

Yugo type 59 rifles are one of my favorite for fit and finish though. I have another inbound right now which I am excited to get.

I agree the debate here is very healthy for collecting, and SKS value overall.

Darin

#33 ·
here is 2 from my collection of factory 26

here is 2 different serial number ranges 7 million and 9 million that show that Russian leafs vary from manufacturer If you study top cover markings you will find all kinds of differant arrows used in the stars on Tula top covers and different fonts on the dates one may look not closed but the white paint is worn off

Rayman,

Please note the rear sights are not Russian. They have Russian style markings, but do not match any known Russian or Sino I've ever seen.

The 8's and 4's are not right. It's just as possible that someone copied the plans to the N'th degree, and left the upside down U on the stamped rear sight, not knowing any better.

The Blade Bayonets and rear sights are of Russian design, but not Russian at all, unless someone can show me different.

Agreed the machined receivers could have been produced and shipped, but not probable, as an SKS is not that hard to make. Possibly more expensive and slower than stamping, but not really that hard.

Production information was available for any country who opposed the USA, tool paths, sizes, blueprints ect... With a standard WWII you could easily be producing 20 SKS rifles a day, once you got good at it.

The real kicker would be to compare the overall quality of a 1962 type 1 with a 1965 type 1. I am willing to offer my rifle for this observation, as it is nearly perfect and easy to compare.

As to the Yugoslavians manufacturing the type1, the lack of chrome bore and bayonet, and lack of purple hue in the finished product would convince me otherwise. I doubt they even provided receivers, as their metalurgy almost always blues with a plum color.

Yugo type 59 rifles are one of my favorite for fit and finish though. I have another inbound right now which I am excited to get.

I agree the debate here is very healthy for collecting, and SKS value overall.

Darin

#32 ·
Just off of AK's, Russian rear sights can also vary in type of style of numbering. Different factories and eras can contribute to this. Even a "4" made by the Tula factory looks different than a "4" made by the Izhmash factory. Not all the numbering will be exactly the same. Naturally, this is a comparison of AK rear sights with a even a 10-15 year time span but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket regarding the numbering theory.

#34 ·
I could take some pics of the various blade bayonets

and probably find differences there as well. The Russians Like the Chinese made stuff in plants all over the country then shipped these parts for assembly. Something did show up in one of my ak books where the North Vietnamese were making up RPK guns from various standard receivers. I myself doubt that the country had the factory to produce sks carbines and with a ready supply from willing sources Its not very smart to compete.

#35 · (Edited)
I do see your closed "4" Russian, and none of mine have the closed "4" so it is possible some parts came from Russia, I still highly doubt it looking at mine, but it is possible.

Makes no explaination at all for the very different stock found on the NVA Type 1, when the Russians would have clearly been very capable of building superior,inexpensive, laminated stocks, and shipping them worldwide. Russia was producing laminated SKS stocks in the mid 1950s. NVA type 1 production started in 1962.

Still does not explain why production stopped the same time we started bombing the snot out of the NVA.

None of it adds up except local indigenous manufacture with the possibility of imported sub assemblies or parts.

It would be interesting to note if a type 1 has ever been seen in another part of the world where China and Russia have "donated" arms.

Darin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.