Hopkins & Allen Double Barreled Questions

I have a very old one, given to me,(now 53), by my grandpa back when I was 12. It is marked:

Hopkins & Allen
    Arms Company
    NORWICH CONN USA

It is hammerless, double barrel, ser.no. 46xx, all numbers match. It is missing the left firing pin, as well as a small piece of the wood stock immediately behind missing pin. It has checkering on the fore grip, but not on the stock. Both cheek plates are nicely blued, but the rest of the metal is a smooth glossy brown. The barrel has not been sawed off and is 26'' long.
    I am not familiar with shotgun gauges, but the barrel I.D.s are about 19/32nds at the end, and 3/4'' at the breech. My questions are:

What gauge is it?
    What might be the gun's age?
    Can I retire off the proceeds of it sale?
    Is there someone out there who really loves these enough to want to buy this one?

My grandpa would have understood my willingness to convert this gun into potential reinvestment into another gun - like a Mossberg 500!

Thanks to all for any and all help help you can provide!

Welcome to Gunboards forums. Your shotgun should say what guage it is somewhere on the barrels near the rest of the markings. It would be very helpful if you could post clear pictures of the markings, blotting out the serial number if that concerns you. Don't get ripped off by some unscrupulous dealer, it may be worth much more than a Mossberg 500.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Thank you Elmer, I tried unsucessfully to upload some photos last night, even read all the threads on how to do it. I guess I will see if i can get som e help from my daughter this evening, she is young enough to understand computers.

It's a Forehand design. Hopkins and Allen took them over around 1900. They made 4 models of modestly priced boxlocks and sidelocks, hammerless and hammer guns in each action in the years before WWI. They also made a very few fine and expensive AA Grade boxlocks with damascus barrels, fine wood, engraving, that was competitive with other top grade guns of the time. H&A itself made a cheap single barrel falling block shotgun.

Most likely yours is a standard grade shotgun, probably 16 Guage, perhaps worth $200 - 300 at most, more or less, unless it turns out to be an AA Grade. You might try http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

The BBS there has tons of info and its a good place to sell to shotgun enthusiasts, too. See The Blue Book of Gun values for info on values and how to determine condition. If you list it for sale price it a little bit high with OBO, Or Best Offer, to get a fair price. Most on that forum are shooters so bore condition and lockup will be of high concern as its expensive to fix those problems and the gun just isn't worth it. Usually firing pins are easily made and replaced, as is a chip of wood.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Here are the long anticipated photos taken by, edited by, cropped by, and posted by my lovely and intelligent daughter!

Last edited by MarkoStefano; 08-11-2009 at 09:07 PM.

2520wcf Guest

Sorry, that gun looks loose as a goose to me; probably not safe to fire with ANY ammo. And restoring it to shooting safety, much less cosmetic beauty, would cost many times more than it is worth. So for me there would be two options: remove both firing pins and keep it over the mantel as a memory (best option IMO--H&A is a modest but significant part of our history that you won't find in Hollywood or on TV, but they probably armed more of our ancestors than Colt and S&W combined!) and selling it for parts on the internet. Best way to get your money out of that would be to strip the reciever of all parts and put it down the well. Then describe the remaining parts as well as you can and sell them thru the Trader and other free gun-related sites. You might find a buyer for the complete action or the gun as a parts-gun, but then you have firearms shipping and FFL or C&R regulations to meet.

Just my .02 (and maybe not worth that much.....).

Thank you one and all for your valuable insight. I will probably hang this one up on the wall, as i would not want to be responsible for anyone hurting himself or another by selling it. Thanks again!