Thread: Siamese Arisaka - Type 66

Default Siamese Arisaka - Type 66

I just picked up this piece because I thought it was interesting and was reasonably priced. Now I can't seem to find any info on it - so I take it they are not too common. Can anyone give me any info on these? How many were produced? What are these worth?

I know they were a pre-WWII contract for Siam, but that about it.

This rifle is partly matching. The handguard, mag plate/follower, bolt and dust cover don't match, but do have Siamese serial numbers. Bolt and extractor have one serial number, the firing pin and cocking peice are different but match each other. The stock, receiver, rear sight, trigger guard, and the 2 metal peices that extend to the wrist all match.

The stock only has one marking on it, and does not appear to ever have been sanded.

Here are a ton of pics:

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g.../Siam-Arisaka/

Any info would be greatly appreaciated.
    Last edited by stoggie; 08-16-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Ok, Serial numbers are a mess. Whoever stamped these had no clue about our Arabic numbers.

Rifle is serial number 15566. The parts that match are stamped 366, and th parts that have 366 stamped on them in Arabic numerals, have 566 stamped in Siamese numerals.

The extractor is another example, as it is stamped 820, but the Siamese numbers are 782.

Weird.

Using Siamese numers:
    Bolt and Extractor are 782.
    Firing Pin and Cocking Piece are 715
    Dust cover is 573
    Mag and follower are 486

Handguard is 344, and stock is 366 with only Arabic numerals.

I feel like an Egyption Archeologist :D

I attached the "Rosetta Stone" that I took from the Milsurps site.

Frank Allan really is into these & I'm sure will have lots to say about it. I had one of these once but let it go. Can't do everything I'd like. Now I restrict my collecting to what was produced & used by the Japanese in WW2. I even sold my Saimese marked Nagoya Triangle bayonet to Frank some time back. These are scarce & it looks like you have a nice one.
    "Resistance is futile - you will be assimilated"
    The Borg

Speaking of Siamese-marked Nagoya Triangles, has anyone seen a non-Nagoya triangle bayonet with a Siamese pommel? I know there are two in LaBar's book, but I've never seen one anywhere else. I know of at least four Nagoya triangles with the Siamese pommel.

As far as I can determine the 66 was never imported into the U.S. A number went to Canada and that's probably how the ones here got here. When I was Editor of "The Military Rifle Journal" a subscriber/contribitor in Canada, Harry Toye mentioned he had a 66. I was corresponding with a fellow Carcano collector in Vancouver, Rono Azzi, and asked him to keep his eyes open for one. Within six months he had located 20+ in a closed gun shop. He was able to buy every one for some unknown sum. I traded him a rare Carcano for one and somehow, disremember, I bought everyone he had for $300? taking most to Southern Firearm Appraisals in Birmingham, AL to sell. One or two boxes of the 66s from Canada I didn't open before taking them to B'ham and one of those rifles had the original, yellowish finish. "If I knew then...."

The last two Ron sent were "parts kits" missing the receiver and with bad stocks. I gave these to Roy Boone and he found that a 38 receiver and stock would work. I bought one of the Numrich (?) 38 stocks and Roy assembled a "38/66: which is stored in the gun closet along with the 7.7 Siamese Army carbine he built, but that's another story.

What is the "original, yellowish finish"?

I bought a bunch of unknown cleaning rods a couple years ago, and it turns out one of them is for a Type 66 - so it looks like I have an extra. Do any of the Arisaka models take the same cleaning rod? I attached a photo incase you need to know what it looks like (just the end which is 2 7/8" from the thread to the end). It is 28 5/16" long end to end.

Morning stoggie :

The original finish on these Tokyo products is the lighter shade of urushi as seen on Kokura 38s of the 1930s. Some of the Siamese rifles were restocked or repaired and so the finish may be darker than original.
    Indeed as Ronin says these are rare rifles in this country, other than pictures I have not seen one in a quarter century of collecting. They are as rare as the Siamese marked T-35 rifles.
    If you decide to part with that extra T-66 rod, I would appreciate your consideration. I have a 4' x 8' board of Japanese cleaning rods for displays, yours would make a welcome addition. My e-mail is: [email protected]
    Vicasoto

Ahh.... yellowish finish on the wood. It just clicked. Now it all makes sense :D

I am up in Canada, so its one that never found its way to the US. I'm glad I found it for a decent price. The bore is pretty bad. I think I cleaned it the first time since it left the factory. It may clean up better, but it will take alot of scrubbing.