Default Landed a 8x57 Lee Loader

I have been looking for one...complete that is. This one is advertised as "perfect" and has all the charge data etc. I see one another one listed (8x57 JS), and its from Canada. The one I bought was from Canada too. Just a coincidence? Should be here in a couple days. I ordered some brass, have some pulled 50's Yugo, and its powder. Why did Lee stop production? Here is a pic from the auction...
    Next SHOOT?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=11325

Join the Southern Wisconsin, Northern Illinois target shooters.

Default 8mm

All of my 8mm reloads are from 50s yugo.I use my reformed 30-06 brass to make 8mm brass and reload the bullet and the powder.Start with about 40 gr. of the flake powder and play with it and you will be very happy.I shoot in a few Private matches and have done very well winning a few $$$ with it.mike
    " If I tell you a rooster can pull a plow you better hook him up" :eek:

I have a complete set like yours in 7x57,the printing date on the info is 1969,the original price was $ 7.95.

Default I once called Lee about an 8mm Lee Loader..........

........and they wouldn't even make me a "custom" one, even at a custom price! I finally found one, in new condition in the plastic red box, last year. I also found another 8mm one, somewhat recently in the cardboard and foam box. I like them for neck-sizing, and have just about every one of them for all the milsurp calibers I shoot. Of course I have my eyes peeled for the ones I don't already have. I started handloading with a $60 pawnshop M39, Wolf Gold 7.62x54r cases, and pulled down Czech silvertip/light ball powder and bullets. It was almost impossible to remove the bullets from the cases with an inerta puller, and I had to score the case necks with a dremel tool, then "whack" them with the inertia puller to get them out! (but the Czech stuff was less than 10 cents a round then!) Now, with a collet style bullet puller life is much much easier, in regards to pulling down milsurp ammo.

Dale

This other Lee Loader (in plastic case) is labled 8x57 mm Mauser JS.

Are these two different style loaders?
    Next SHOOT?

Default creepiE, they are the same thing............

.........as both sizing bodies are marked 8x57 only. The plastic cased variant is newer than the cardboard/foam boxed variant. I don't really know why I bought the second one, I guess because it took so long to find the first one! I'll probably let my son cut his reloading teeth a little with it when he gets old enough. Somewhere, along the lines, I've misplaced one of the decappers, so I guess having two sets has paid off! It's here, somewhere, I'm sure it has just rolled somewhere out of sight!

Dale

Its quite possible that the JS loader has lighter loads than the older model.
    Next SHOOT?

Default Unfortunately, I couldn't say about the loading data........

..........as the carboard/foam boxed loader had loader use instructions only, and no load data. The red plastic boxed loader had both load data and instructions.

Dale

Default lee hand loaders

I have a couple of them they work pretty good but after a while not so great becuse they only resize the neck:eek:

Default yeah, you'll eventually need to bump...........

........the case shoulders back with a full-length sizing die to get them to chamber easily again. I usually do it when I notice a resistance closing the bolt. Then, especially for rifles with somewhat oversized chambers, just enough shoulder bump to get the cases to chamber without overworking the brass too much, as a complete full-length sizing may be unnecessary and detramental to case life. Then necksize until shoulder bump is needed again. This should extend your case life somewhat. This is for bolt guns only, as one should full-length size cases for semi's and auto's as they may not chamber properly otherwise.(That's what I hear, anyway, and the only center-fire semi I own, an SKS, gets full-length sized cases all the time, regardless of case wear)

Dale
    Last edited by tenntex32; 08-20-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by creepiE View Post
    I have been looking for one...complete that is. This one is advertised as "perfect" and has all the charge data etc. I see one another one listed (8x57 JS), and its from Canada. The one I bought was from Canada too. Just a coincidence? Should be here in a couple days. I ordered some brass, have some pulled 50's Yugo, and its powder. Why did Lee stop production? Here is a pic from the auction...

Nice find.... I love these and have used them for years. You were lucky to find 8X57...

Seems like there have been several on auction since I bought mine. Oh well, it's either "feast or famine." Take a look at what this one went for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Next SHOOT?

Why so much? Why not just get a complete set of dies (Full and neck sizing dies, bullet seater) and a decent scale? Wouldn't that be better?
    No one ever got into Valhalla unarmed.

Default It's a matter of simplicity.........

I cut my teeth on a Lee Loader, but found out that after several firings you need to bump the cases shoulder's back to get rid of difficult chambering. I think some people may simply neck size with the Lee Loaders until they cannot chamber the cases any longer, then discard the cases. It's a pity, since necksizing only has actually extended the case life due to not working the brass as much as full-length sizing does.

The reason that Lee Loader set went for so much is that Lee doesn't offer the Lee Loader in 8mm Mauser any longer. I looked for some time before finding mine at a small gunshop for $30 last year. I then found one on an internet sale board for about the same price, so I bought it too, for my son. They were upwards of $50 or more, last year, on some auctions.

You are correct though, if you have a press you could even get by with a full length sizing die, and to necksize you would just back the full length sizing die out enough to not size the case body, just the neck. Some people use a predermined thickness washer/spacer around the case to prevent the die from going all the way down.

The Lee Loaders are handy for necksizing, and quite quick to deprime using the Lee Loader, as well, but I must admit I bought a universal decapper for my press, so I simply run the cases through it before neck sizing with the Lee Loader. It just seems quicker to deprime that way. Once you get a rythm going you'll be able to necksize your cases with the Lee Loader rather quickly. Another plus is no case lube is needed with the Lee Loader, unlike full-length resizing dies, although if necksizing with a full-length die you would want to make dang certain you have your sizing die backed out enough not to stick a case in the die. I would also recommend lubing the case mouth if using a full-length die for necksizing, so the decapper/sizing button doesn't stretch the case neck/mouth too much.

One downside I have found to using the Lee Loader for necksizing is since it sizes on the exterior of the case neck if you have varying thicknesses of case neck brass your bullet seating tension may vary, and sometimes if the brass is thin enough you won't have enough tension at all! I ran into this with 7.62x54r and bullets .310" and smaller with a certain manufacturer's brass. I simply used those cases for .311" and .312" bullets, or ran them through a full length sizing die that sizes on the inside of the case mouth instead of the outside.

And yes, I'm bored, the wife and kids have been out of town all weekend!

Dale
    Last edited by tenntex32; 09-07-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poot View Post
    Why so much? Why not just get a complete set of dies (Full and neck sizing dies, bullet seater) and a decent scale? Wouldn't that be better?
    You can buy two sets of LEE Pacesetter dies for about $75. Get yourself one in 8mm Mauser and another favorite caliber. Even a set of RCBS top of the line dies aren't gonna cost more than this used beginner's LEE Loader.

LEE also sells a 15 piece set of those powder dippers if you're not into expiramenting with a scale...
    Last edited by cousinkix1953; 09-07-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenntex32 View Post
    I cut my teeth on a Lee Loader, but found out that after several firings you need to bump the cases shoulder's back to get rid of difficult chambering. I think some people may simply neck size with the Lee Loaders until they cannot chamber the cases any longer, then discard the cases. It's a pity, since necksizing only has actually extended the case life due to not working the brass as much as full-length sizing does.

The reason that Lee Loader set went for so much is that Lee doesn't offer the Lee Loader in 8mm Mauser any longer. I looked for some time before finding mine at a small gunshop for $30 last year. I then found one on an internet sale board for about the same price, so I bought it too, for my son. They were upwards of $50 or more, last year, on some auctions.

You are correct though, if you have a press you could even get by with a full length sizing die, and to necksize you would just back the full length sizing die out enough to not size the case body, just the neck. Some people use a predermined thickness washer/spacer around the case to prevent the die from going all the way down.

The Lee Loaders are handy for necksizing, and quite quick to deprime using the Lee Loader, as well, but I must admit I bought a universal decapper for my press, so I simply run the cases through it before neck sizing with the Lee Loader. It just seems quicker to deprime that way. Once you get a rythm going you'll be able to necksize your cases with the Lee Loader. Another plus is no case lube is needed with the Lee Loader, unlike full-length resizing dies, although if necksizing with a full-length die you would want to make dang certain you have your sizing die backed out enough not to stick a case in the die. I would also recommend lubing the case mouth if using a full-length die for necksizing, so the decapper/sizing button doesn't stretch the case neck/mouth too much.

One downside I have found to using the Lee Loader for necksizing is since it sizes on the exterior of the case neck if you have varying thicknesses of case neck brass your bullet seating tension may vary, and sometimes if the brass is thin enough you won't have enough tension at all! I ran into this with 7.62x54r and bullets .310" and smaller with a certain manufacturer's brass. I simply used those cases for .311" and .312" bullets, or ran them through a full length sizing die that sizes on the inside of the case mouth instead of the outside.

And yes, I'm bored, the wife and kids have been out of town all weekend!

Dale
    Great points Dale, thanks for sharing this very informative post. I think you need to give yourself some range time!

Default poot, I did the range thing yesterday...........

..........the wife called and said they probably won't be in until later tonight, so I'm thinking of tinkering with some .38spl loads using 125gr jacketed hollowpoints for use in her and my lightweight .38's for carry and target work. I've been meaning to do it, but I just don't find reloading for pistol caliber stuff as interesting as the milsurp rifle caliber stuff.

Dale

Very nice!
    I spent part of yesterday afternoon loading up some .30-06 for deer season out here.
    Best,
    Pat

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Well I guess I'll quit looking for one. That's a lot of $$$.