Gunboards Forums banner

M1 Carbine Value question, early type I...

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BradB 
#1 ·
I met an Iwo Jima vet today who has an Inland Carbine with early features, type I barrel band, type I flip sight, Pushbutton safety. I didn't disassemble it to check the recoil spring housing. Serial number was in the 3,1xx,000 range, or 3,01x,000 range, one of the two, I can't remember which. Only detriment is that he fell while carrying the rifle about 10 years ago, and broke the stock. The stock is an aftermarket replacement stock... So, with all the early features, but with the replaced non-original stock is it worth 900$? There is no shadow of a type III barrel band, and the stake marks around the flip sight are correct, not monkeyed with. Thanks, Chris...

#3 · (Edited)
I would say $900 is what he might have gotten from a knowledgeable dealer BEFORE he broke the stock. (full retail would have been in the $1100-$1300 range) A replacement of the proper type and condition will run you $200 or better with clear stamps, etc. I would offer him $750. Full retail? No, but good for a person to person sale. If you look at used car values, you will see different prices for "trade in" sale to dealer, person to person, and finally dealer retail. To me, guns are mostly the same way (excluding auctions).

#4 ·
I'm not sure I understand. You stated "and the stake marks around the flip sight are correct, not monkeyed with." If there are stake marks, doesn't that indicate the carbine previously had an adjustable rear sight which required staking? Usually this is a tell tale sign of restoration, at least with regards to the rear sight. No staking on an original carbine with the flip-up rear sight.

#5 ·
some makers used a small chisel-like stake to secure the flip type rear sights after the factory sight-in process. This is different than the larger (usually round) stake marks used to secure the later adjustable sights. They are very different marks and are located in different positions on the sight base, that may be what the OP is referring to.

#6 ·
+1 If there is evidence of multiple stake marks, I would be wary. My 2-44 Underwood has the flip type rear sight staked, there is a single stake at 4 points around the sight. They are quite different from the stake marks for the adjustable sights on my CMP carbines.

#7 ·
M1 Carbine

I guess I phrased that wrong, there is not a stake mark present, better put-there is no evidence of a peep sight being installed and then removed at a later date and replaced with the flip sight. It's a legit carbine, minus the stock. Chris...

#8 · (Edited)
Original Type 1 sights will be "staked" in place by a linear stake, normally on just one side. Almost like a narrow flat stip screwdriver was used. The adjustable sights usually have 4 round punchmarks deeply punched. Evidence of these remains when the sight is removed and an original flip-sight is "re-installed".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.