Default marlin-model 30as

went to marlin website and could find no model 30as anywhere. wondering when they were made and what they are worth? Someone a long time ago said the a.s. stood for army scout. and it was short carbine to carry in scabbard on horseback, which is exactly what I do with it. any help will be appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ripsaw View Post
    went to marlin website and could find no model 30as anywhere. wondering when they were made and what they are worth? Someone a long time ago said the a.s. stood for army scout. and it was short carbine to carry in scabbard on horseback, which is exactly what I do with it. any help will be appreciated. thanks
    When living in Southwest Texas back in the mid 80's I purchased a used 30AS in 30-30. A great shooting rifle. Mine was scoped and easy MOA. Not sure what the AS stands for and not sure when they began production or ended. My 1986 Shooters Bible list them at $287.95. They came with a 20" micro-groove barrel. One weapon I wish I would have never gotten rid of.
    You have a fine rifle and depending on condition may be worth a few bucks to any lever fan.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Quote Originally Posted by ripsaw View Post
    Marlin Model 30AS is the low budget version of the 336. Marketed under Marlin-Glenfield and other brand names, it typically had a non-checkered walnut stained beech stock set, but still sports the 336 receiver and micro-groove barrel.
    A true sleeper in value. I bought one last year for a very low price, in near new condition. I stripped the ugly faux walnut finish and restored to a warm beech, added an aperture rear sight and fiber optic front. It's now my single favorite rifle!

A 30AS in 30-30 is all my wife hunts with anymore and she has a lot of choices from 25-06 thru 45/70 in bolt, semi-auto and leverguns.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

"God must love stupid people. He made SO many."

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

My first Marlin was a Marlin Model 30AS in .30-30. Yes it is the low budget Marlin with a walnut stained Beech wood stock. I have a 3x9 powered scope on it. This rifle shoots quarter (coin) sized groups at 100 yards from a bench rest. Don't know if this is exceptional or not but I am glad mine will do this. I have since bought 2 other Marlin rifles (model 336) which are pretty to look at. I have not shot these pretty model 336s yet. My Model 30AS is still my favorite. Also, I don't worry so much about scratches when hunting. I do try to take care not to get any scratches but if I do I am okay with it. I love all lever action rifles. Also have Marlin Model 1895 in .45-70 which is a hoot to shoot.

My first big game rifle was a 1985 Marlin 30/30AS. I had since moved on to other rifles and calibers but have since settled back to what got me started in the first place. I did recently put on the laminated stocks that the Big Loop version uses, I really like the look of them. (I know a purist somewhere is puking right now...sorry) But it is has always been an accurate and fun rifle to shoot. I'm darned glad I never got rid of it!

Quote Originally Posted by 9x18 Conscript View Post
    My first big game rifle was a 1985 Marlin 30/30AS. I had since moved on to other rifles and calibers but have since settled back to what got me started in the first place. I did recently put on the laminated stocks that the Big Loop version uses, I really like the look of them. (I know a purist somewhere is puking right now...sorry) But it is has always been an accurate and fun rifle to shoot. I'm darned glad I never got rid of it!
    No such animal. The Marlin 1895 is only available in 45/70 and 450 Marlin. A Marlin 30AS is a version of the 336 and is available in 30-30.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

"God must love stupid people. He made SO many."

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bear 45/70 View Post
    No such animal. The Marlin 1895 is only available in 45/70 and 450 Marlin. A Marlin 30AS is a version of the 336 and is available in 30-30.
    perhaps 9x18 meant his rifle was made in 1985?
    Where am I going, and how did I get into this hand basket??

Yup. That's what he meant Thanks RBC.