Default First .22 for my kids.

Any suggestions on old and new rifles to start my kids shooting. Took daughter out for her first lesson last week. She had a ball but the stevens crackshot is too long. She's seven and the boy is 4.

Default first rifle

The "cricket" rifle is a good youth gun.
    http://www.crickett.com/CrickettRifl...kettrifle.html

Also, NEF single shots are good and not too long.
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp

Marlin makes the "papoose" rifle that is also youth sized.
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ding/70PSS.asp

Thanks for getting those youngsters started early enjoying the shooting sports.

Dave

The cricket is what I used to teach mine. I put a big boy 4X32 scope on it and they loved it. Short pull and single shot so no keep up with a round count. As mine got older I moved them up to the 10/22's.

The Cricket is a fine rifle for a younger shooter. A very common mistake is to start a kid out on a too heavy or too long rifle. They don't develop the sighting and trigger control skills needed because they are just trying to hold the silly thing up! Also, be sure the rifle is accurate. No fun trying to learn to shoot if the rifle won't keep all the shots on the paper to start with. I remember trying to shoot with VERY worn Rem 521's at Scout camp. Headspace was so bad they would pop a rim fairly often. That did not help the concentration much.

I started my 9 year old daughter who is quite petite out on a 1930's Savage Model 3 single shot .22 LR rifle. Check out this thread - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=123517

Two features I particularly like about the rifle. First, the Buckhorn rear sight and front bead sight allows for a clear and easy to establish sight picture. Second, and more importantly, the rifle has a safety feature wherein despite closing the bolt on a chambered round the shooter cannot fire until the firing pin is cocked.

As you can see from her smile, my daughter loves the rifle. The other possibility depending on your daughter's reach is a CZ BRNO ZOM 451 .22 LR rifle. This rifles comes with a 7-round magazine and shoots as accurately as a rifle costing several hundred dollars more than it will (<$350).

Good luck with whatever choice you and your daughter make.

Tim

Default savage mod 15

a savage mod 15 is another single shot bolt action rifle. They also have the round knob at the back that must be cocked to fire,but the best thing is they can be bought on this forum quite often for as little as $60.00. I bought one from riddick last month for my granddaughter.

Allan I looked at those but this will be for my kids (7 and 4 right now)and those look longer then what they will be able to handle, I had already checked them out.

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    Allan I looked at those but this will be for my kids (7 and 4 right now)and those look longer then what they will be able to handle, I had already checked them out.
    I agree. I started Becky out shooting with me when she was 11 and she could properly shoulder a BRNO ZOM 451 rifle. However, my youngest, Alexandra, I started out about 2 years earlier (at age 9 because she wanted to go shooting like her big sister) and the 451 was too long. The Savage Model 3 has a shorter stock than a "standard" modern .22 LR rifle and fit her just fine.

Tim
    Last edited by tsellati; 09-10-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

The Savage copy of the old Stevens Favorite isn't a bad choice for that sort of purpose IMO. You may have to shorten the stock, but that isn't a serious chore and the rifle itself is reliable, accurate, not too heavy and has a lot of features i like for a beginning shooter. Single shot, falling block, exposed hammer that has to be cocked for each shot.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

I picked up a sweet Stevens "Little Scout" 14 1/2 for my 8 year old daughter a couple weeks ago at the local gs. She loves it! Simple rolling block, 20" barrel, short 14" length of pull... and a sweet shooter to boot. Got it for $80

Last edited by srad; 09-23-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Marlin 15Y (youth model) or the 15YN, both work GREAT for rugrats.
    The Death Penalty only works when it is Swift and Sure. Stop the appeals and it will be a deterrant again.

Thumbs up

SRAD- started my grandchildren out on 44 1/2 STEVENS .22 and sub-sonic Remington's, heavy half octagon barrel from a rest at 15 paces. they did a great job of aiming. boy 4- girl 6
    i traded last year for a new Cricket to teach all the grand children with had safeties i liked for the purpose intended. (company now owns chipmunk too). with two wood stocks youth and small children.
    haven't shot it don't know how accurate it will be have a scope on it too. but i have many .22 to teach them by.<><DJ
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 02-10-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: sp/ info
    GOD<><SAVE THE CONSTITUTION / STATES RIGHTS><>NRA

My girls started with a Rossi youth model pump 22 up at our camp in NY state. Today, one has her License - the other her ability - and they both can shoot the arse out of a rat at 100 feet (sorry, not yards)

For two urban girls, they can do what most cannot - and they can move along the stategic line.

I am a happy camper...