Gunboards Forums banner

No ammo sales to Ohio, huh....?

15K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  guinness11 
#1 ·
"no sales to HI, MASS, NY,NJ,OHIO,NEVADA, CHICAGO, washington DC, WASHINGTON STATE FFL ONLY, ILLINOIS MUST HAVE FOID CARD. "

Saw this on gunbroker listing. New one on me. There are no ammo restrictions to Ohio that I know of. Anybody know different. There are 4 major ammo sellers here and I have bought instate from them all. AIM, SOG, J&C, and others. I have had so much shipped here my wife is afraid to pick a UPS box for fear of pulling her back.

When calling the seller on it I got this. "just like illinois some counties it is a no no to ship ammo too."

Anybody? As long as hording is not a crime I'm ok...

#13 ·
Maybe so; but this didn't stop the silly council, from adopting it's own illegal version of the PRK Assault Rifle ban in the peoples' republik of Columbus. I read about this law in GUN WEEK several years ago.

It might have been thrown out of court, like San Francisco's infamous Prop H; but how many times have Kommiefornia cities passed illegal ordinances and given Sacramento the one-finger salute?

#9 ·
Atlanta Cutlery would not ship 15 round M1 Carbine magazines to Ohio. I asked why and the reply I got back was:

"As far as I know, the restriction applies to all of Ohio. The restrictions went into effect on 7/1/08, and apply to all carrier services, including the US Post Office."

Someone should have told the CMP about this when I ordered my magazines from them. :)
Never have found any actual laws supporting this. Some weird things floating around out there, in some fairly reputable places some times, that have no basis, as far as I can find, in fact.

#10 ·
Ohio has has dangerus ordinance laws and cities like to make there own which can be anything thing from a mag of more than 10 rounds, assalt weapons (AK's, AR's etc) Excessive amount of ammunition (up to the cops on that one). Most are not enforced unless to add charges steming from another crime. A few years ago a small mail order place would not send a fireing pin for a mauser but said they would ship full cases of ammo. Figure that one out.

#11 · (Edited)
This is Centurys sales policy, from where I'd bet his policy came from..I guess Cincinnati has some kind of law.
.............................................................................................................

Ammunition Sales Policy - FFL (01) dealers are exempt:

Sales of ammunition in CA to FFL dealers only.
Sales of ammunition in IL to any resident.

No direct sales of ammunition to Montgomery County and Annapolis, MD., residents.

No direct sales of ammunition to MA or NJ residents.

No direct sales of ammunition to New York City residents (all boroughs), Yonkers, NY residents.

No direct sales of ammunition to Cincinnati, OH residents.

A “license to sell ammunition” from the State of WA is required to purchase ammunition for non FFL dealers.

Sales of ammunition to NV residents. No sales of metal penetrating bullets capable of being fired from a handgun.
..................................................................................................................

Everybody else sells to Washington also. Here we have no idea what a "license to sell ammunition" is nor does the state (I asked). Come to think of it neither does Century as I asked them also.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#14 ·
ohio has no laws on ammo

only ones i know are these

San Francisco
city of los angeles has sued companies for shipping ammo without verifing id in person
IL requires you to have their FOID card before shipping, we do not ship to chicago
New York City requires a permit for each caliber
We do not sell to MA, because they sued us for not verifing IDs
Washington DC did have a no-no rule but i haven't checked since heller
there are specifics when its .50, tracer and AP but i don;t sell enough of it to know the rules

#18 · (Edited)
"New York City requires a permit for each caliber" Sounds like scout badges to me.

I think people should be caliber qualified... My Jack Russell was going at it w a **** recently under the shed. I ran in to grab something to resolve the standoff before the vet bill got any higher. I remember looking at my choices and going; too loud, too small, too messy, too long, mint, pain to clean, federal time, AH .22 short HP with a barrel that wouldn't show teeth marks.

Pop! Fleas and stitches...

Thanks for the input Bryan and fellow hoarders...

#15 ·
Have the same problem with some vendors shipping ammo to Illinois. Its not illegal to ship ammo to Illinois except for some counties like Cook. Even after the Legislature, thanks to the ISRA, passed a law specifically stating that a copy of an FOID is sufficient some vendors still refuse to ship ammo to Ill (except to 01s). They don't get my business...not only for ammo but anything else. Its bad enough we have to fight the anti-gunners. We don't need vendors aiding and abetting.

#17 ·
Have the same problem with some vendors shipping ammo to Illinois. Its not illegal to ship ammo to Illinois except for some counties like Cook. Even after the Legislature, thanks to the ISRA, passed a law specifically stating that a copy of an FOID is sufficient some vendors still refuse to ship ammo to Ill (except to 01s). They don't get my business...not only for ammo but anything else. Its bad enough we have to fight the anti-gunners. We don't need vendors aiding and abetting.
AMEN...

#22 ·
Warning!

I've deleted the postings here that had turned political. If you want to argue these points then take them somewhere else. I just deleted them and after this warning if you continue I'll start issueing infractions and we don't want to get into that.:(

#23 ·
So, I decided to break out my copy of "ATF, State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms, 2006 - 27th Edition, Revised September 2007". I copied some pertinent parts and some other general interest ones. I highlighted the sections dealing with "high capacity magazines".

There are no ordinances/laws in this book that I could find that says ammo could not be shipped/sold to/in Ohio. In fact, all cities that had a "dangerous ordinance" section specifically excluded pretty much every ammunition we deal with from being "dangerous ordinance". They all liked to legislate on the weapon and magazine capacity, not the ammunition.

Stuff in quotes "" are word for word from the noted section.

Ohio Revised Code.
2923.11(K): ""Dangerous ordinance" means any of the following, except as provided in division (L) of this section: (4) Any firearm,....designed for military purposes, and the ammunition for that weapon;"

And under devision (L) of that same section: ""Dangerous ordinance" does not include any of the following: (2) Any pistol, rifle, or shotgun, designed or suitable for sporting purposes, including a military weapon as issued or as modified, and the ammunition for that weapon, unless the firearm is an automatic or sawed-off firearm;"

So under the Ohio Revised Code any firearm and the ammunition for it is not "Dangerous Ordinance" if it can be used for sporting purposes. Most of what we deal with here on the boards could be argued to fall under this catagory.

Akron:
Section 137.01(A)(2) says pretty much the same as the above. Section 137.10 basically says that a handgun with a retail value of $50 or less and is made of die cast zinc or other nonhomogeneous metal with a deformation point of <800 F is illegal.

Cincinnati:
Section 708-1-B. Deadly Weapon. Basically anything that can kill you and is or is used as a weapon.
Section 708-1-D. Dangerous Weapon. Same as above but can injure you or kill you.

Section 708-15. Restriction on Transfer of Firearms. You have to fill out an application form to buy a firearm in Cincinnati. And, as I read it, you have to personally know the person, but that seems to be contradicted in other sections.

Section 708-17. Sale of Handgun Ammunition. You can't sell handgun ammunition to anyone you don't personally know or someone you know knows.

Section 708-33. Waiting Period for Transfer of Firearms. 15 day waiting period.

Section 708-37(a). Possession or Sale of Semiautomatic Firearms Prohibited. Just what it says.
Section 708-37(b) No possession or sale of any detachable magazines of more than 10 rifle or carbine rounds, more than 5 shotgun rounds, or more than 15 handgun rounds.
Section 708-37 does not apply if you owned the firearm before April 1, 1989 or inherited one owned before that date as long as it is registered. You can buy banned magazines as long as you own a registered firearm for that magazine. A registered firearm cannot be sold to a resident of the City of Cincinnati.

Cleveland:
Section 627.01(I)(2). "Dangerous ordinance". Says pretty much the same as the Ohio Revised Code.

Section 628. Possession or Sale of Assault Weapons Prohibited. Your normal made up definition of an 'assault weapon'. As applied to rifles: "any semiautomatic action, center fire rifle or carbine that accepts a detachable magazine with a capacity of 20 rounds or more."

Section 674.02. General Prohibitions. 674.02(b) You need a registration card for each hand gun you own.

Columbus:
Section 545.07 Weapon transaction permit application; permit term, fee. You need to fill out an application and pay a $10 fee to purchase a weapon. Weapon is defined in 545.01(a) as "any instrument, device or thing, capable of inflicting death, and designed or specifically adapted for use as a weapon." So an extra $10 and an application form to buy a pocket knife?

Section 2323.31 Unlawful possession of assault weapons. You can't own or sell an assault weapon. Insert "Assault Weapon Ban" language for what they consider a AW. Strangely only having a detachable magazine matters, not the capacity (semiautomatic rifles with fixed magazines with 10 rounds or more capacity are assault weapons though). And you need one other feature. So no ban on large capacity magazines.

Dayton:
Section 138.01 Dangerous ordinance. Says the same thing as the Ohio Revised Code.

Section 138.11. Firearm owner's identification card required. Just what it says, to own a firearm you need an identification card.

138.25 Prohibitions. You can't own or sell an assault weapon.
Pertinent definitions here: 138.24 Assault weapon means: 138.24(1)(a) Rifle or carbine with "a detachable magazine capable of containing more than ten rounds of ammunition, either inserted into the weapon or readily accessible,". So as long as the magazine is locked up you are O.K.

But later on it says 138.24(5) "A rifle/carbine magazine, capable of containing more than ten rounds of ammunition,". So apparently a 11 round magazine is an assault weapon on its own??

Toledo:
549.01(k)(2). Dangerous ordinance. Says some thing as the Ohio Revised Code.

549.09. Handgun identification card; fee. You need to pay a fee and have a ident card to own a handgun.

549.23. Possession of certain semi-automatic firarms prohibited, large capacity magazines prohibited, Acknowledgment Form.
549.23(a) You can't own or sell certain semi-automatic firearms.

The most strangely worded law of the bunch:
549.23(b) "No person shall knowingly possess a detachable ammunition magazine loaded with more than ten(10) rounds of ammunition." Even though it says "prohibited" in the title it seems to me that as long as you do not put more than 10 rounds of ammunition in your magazine you should be fine. It seems like there is no outright ban on large capacity magazines. This section does not apply to grandfathered in weapons that were registered and owed by the registering owner or inherited.

549.25. Certain handguns prohibited. Some handguns are prohibited.

Hope this has been informative, if anyone even reads it. :)

#24 ·
This is what happens; when cities pass ILLEGAL gun laws and the corrupt Ohio Attorney General does NOT enforce the state-wide pre-emption law. Didn't he resign instead of being impeached last fall?

It's the same story in Kommiefornia; but a lawsuit is all it took to get rid of the Prop H Handgun Ban in San Francisco. A second lawsuit prohibits the police from conducting Chicago style Gestapo raids in public housing complexes either...

#25 ·
GreenMan, the State of Ohio has a preemtion law included as part of HB-347 that went into effect in March 2007, it in effect did away with all local ordinances concerning firearms in order to provide uniform statewide firearm laws. Also, there is no magazine capacity restriction, there is only a Grand Jury specification that mentions magazine capacity that can only be used when a firearm with a high capacity magazine installed has been used in the commission of a crime. Here is a link to HB-347:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=126_HB_347

#26 ·
Didn't know about the preemption law.
Yeah, as you can see from my post there is no magazine law in the Ohio Revised Code, as of 9-2007, just a few local ordinances, wich seem to be preempted by the Ohio law.

#27 ·
Great info guys. Thanks for the input and research.

The gunbroker seller that would not take bids from me due to being in Ohio sold his ammo lots to one bidder that I would have bid against. I would have payed much more than what it went for. It was a steal.

I thought maybe the law had changed.

thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.