Thread: K98 receiver sight help

Default K98 receiver sight help

Hello everyone

I am trying to find out which receiver sight to buy for my K98. Unfortunately, Belgium isn't a country filled with k98k enthusiasts the way the U.S. is, so I don't have anyone to rely upon. Can anyone give me any advice about which brand to buy (Lyman, Williams, XS sight systems, ...)?

Another question: I would like to mount a Leupold scout scope to the rifle, but was very disappointed by the S&K Weaver Scout scope mount. The Leupold qrw mounts and the other mounts I have didn't fit at all. Are there any alternatives?

Best regards

Erhard

Erhard, thanks for your post, I have moved it to "The Workbench Forum" where they can best help you with your question.

Lyman makes a receiver sight specifically for the 98 Mauser that requires holes to be drilled on the right side of the rear receiver ring. XS makes one that mounts on the top of the rear receiver ring, using the scope mount holes. The XS is very rugged while the Lyman is very precise but not as rugged. I might have a Lyman in my spare parts bin, if you are interested. I am not sure about export rules on sights. Can anyone help?

Default RE Mauser Receiver Sight

Hi Erhard,
    The best receiver sight for your 98K may depend on how much you want to spend. I particularly like the Lyman model 48 (aka Lyman 48). Long out of production, it's often available used. I just picked one up on eBay for about $75 including shipping. But they also go up to well over $100 at times. (I'm not a big eBay fan or advocate, but neither do I shoot myself in the foot to avoid that huge marketplace.) The 48 was offered with either "target adjusting knobs" or "hunter knobs". The latter were semi-globe configuration with a coin slot for adjustment. The 48 mounts on the right side of the receiver bridge and, as noted, requires drilling and tapping. These sights came in several sub-configurations and vintages. The earliest ones required quite a bit of stock wood to be removed to accommodate them. Generally all sub-models require at least a bit of wood removed. Lyman also made the model 57, which was similar to the 48, but less expensive. Redfield also made nice receiver sights for mausers in their model 70 and succeeding model 80. These also are now long out of production. I believe that Williams probably still makes a mauser receiver sight, but they are alloy construction, lack the quality of the Lyman or Redfield models mentioned, and will probably not add to the value of the rifle once installed. Still, there is nothing wrong with them. I generally believe in keeping more with 'period sights' than new models. By period I don't mean World War II, but the postwar heyday, when such sights were in production and very popular. There certainly are other receiver sights, but these are the ones that I find most useful, attractive and generally add the most value (exotic types excepted) to a good rifle.
    A last caveat, if you go shopping for a receiver sight, be sure that you get one for the "Mauser" NOT the "FN Mauser", which would not fit properly.
    Good luck.

Thank you kp321 and iskra for your very informative replies!

Erhard