Gunboards Forums banner

375 H&H Mag

15K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  HiWall 
#1 ·
Looking to pick up a 375 mag, any reasonable affordable suggestions? I like the CZ and have heard nothing but excellent things about it, however it's a bit out of my budget once I add on a scope. Looking for bolt action, box-magazine and factory scope mounts (or at least tapped)

#2 ·
A gentleman of my acquaintance will build you a very nice, but basic, .375 H&H Magnum for around $14500, plus scope and mounts, of course, but as far as I know, the CZ represents the very lowest price you'll every pay for membership to such an exalted club.

You'll need a low magnification scope in the 1.5 - 6 power range - many are readily available in the average store, but you'll need to buy a good one - the recoil is renowned for dismantling lesser glass into its components.

You'll just have to stump up the dollars I'm afraid - that said, I would not hesitate a single second to buy the CZ offering.

tac

#4 ·
According to my 2009 catalog, you can get a Remington 700 XCR in .375 H&H. I don't know what they cost though. Also, Remington was importing a mauser rifle that they called the 798. They were available in .375 for at least one year. The problem with the 798 is that I don't see it in the catalog anymore.

Ruger had a M77 in .375 H&H called the magnum rifle if I remember right. There's plenty out there, but you won't find them everywhere. Good luck.

#6 ·
Look around for a Savage 116 in .375 H&H. The snob effect assures a pretty reasonale price, but these are great rifles.

The Ruger Number One Tropical is a nice .375 H&H platform if you can go with a single shot.

I have a Yugo commercial Mauser action rifle, fnished by Whitorth in England, and imported by Interarms back in the early 80s when they were into relatively high quality stuff. This thing shoots a three shot cloverleaf at 100 yards with my 300 grain reloads. I get a lot of kidding about it in Oklahoma, but it is superb on big pigs.

The limiting factor in the classic H&H round is room for powder. Ruger's new offering (can't remember the numbers) looks interesting, but for one all around medium caliber rifle, the old standard .375 H&H is still the best rifle in the world. CB

#7 ·
Yes- I agree with CB - I traded into a Savage Weather Warrior in .375H&H - feeds perfectly, has a built-in adjustable brake (on or off) and puts all bullet weights into sub 3/4" at 100 meters and to the same point of impact for the 300's and 260's to 270's(1/2" higher for the lighter bullets). The 235's hit about 2" higher, which is about perfect for longer range deer shooting. So far, I've only used RE#15 in 70.0 to 72.0gr. weigths - excellent accuracy & plenty of power for anywhere. This rifle is a great 300 yard gun for use on any North American game.

Savage doesn't make the Weather Warrior in .375 any more, .338 being the largest, but if you can find one, they are well worth the effort of looking. My trigger was easily adjusted down to 1 1/2 pounds. I increased it to 2 pounds for hunting - too light for some perhaps, but I really like it at that weight.

#8 ·
Since when does a .375 qualify as a Big Bore? At best it is a medium bore. Big Bore is defined as 40 Cal and above.

#11 ·
Since when does a .375 qualify as a Big Bore? At best it is a medium bore. Big Bore is defined as 40 Cal and above.
Actually whilst .375" is a medium bore so is .45 cal. Big bore didn't start until over .500". Under the British system .303 is small bore and .22" miniture bore.

Now according to some like in the Wolfe publication Big Bore rifles they class over 8mm as big bore :confused: so pick the system you like and use it :D.

Now have you considered looking at the auctions, S/H racks for a nice Parker-Hale 1100M or Safari? they came in .375 then later also in 404 Jefferies and later still .458 Win Mag like this one:-

Scope is a Weaver K1.5 on Weaver bases and weaver type split rings. The rifle weighs 10lbs as the stock is weighted with lead. Yep the factory did this to the butt and the fore stock. It's glass bedded, again factory job, with an extra recoil lug on the barrel chambered for 458 Win Mag.

I saw an even better one in .375 H & H two years ago but didn't have the finances to go for it as it would mean a variation then selling this one etc. Hope you like it :D.

#9 ·
I managed to pickup a used stainless A-bolt in .375 HnH (Alaskan Special I think) just 1 day prior to returning to the sandbox in April. $700 at a gunshow. Excellent shape (no scope). No its not availalbe, just keep your eyes open.

Now just to get back to play with it...

I know a guy that 'had' a .375 CZ (in Washington) for sale. Blued. I believe unfired. Divorce forced it. PM me if you're interested.

#10 ·
Find yourself a used 1917 action, go to
HTML:
http://www.ershawbarrels.com/normal.asp#
and go through the custom barrel selection process to set up a 375 H&H to your specs. Let Shaw put the barrel on the action and do an action job. Should be about $600 with a matte finish and carbon steel barrel, more for high gloss or stainless. Work a stock out of the nicest piece of wood you can find and put a nice trigger and scope on it. For a lot less than two grand you will have a great custom rifle designed and mostly built by and for YOU. And think of the fun you'll have.

#13 · (Edited)
Oh dear we have an expert on the British gun laws who can slightly read :rolleyes: but does not live in the UK.

Oh I happen to live in England and that's MY rifle in the photo, strange that ;) and it's all perfectly legal too :D.

Another funny thing is that Wolfe Publishing is an American Company who happen to claim in a long time in print book that 8mm and over is big bore :D of course what do they know :rolleyes: especially compared to some aging internet expert who calls himself :-

Bear 45/70 :D
Perhaps it's us who don't care what you think after all it's pretty obvious that you either have a closed mind or a very small one ;).

Oh have a nice day.

#15 ·
Ahhh so Bear 45/70 obviosly is very anti British :rolleyes: such a pity that i am English :D to be British now only requires a British passport and they seem to dish them out to anyone. I doubt they would even refuse you ................... that's how little it means nowadays :mad: :(.

I have also noticed that you seem to be in the minority with a huge chip on your shoulder.

As I said :-

Have a nice day :D

#17 ·
I'm not anti anything except the stupid ideas, like the one that we should follow the British example in regards to anything to do with guns.

FYI, I would not go to England anymore than I would go to The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, mainly because both place will not allow me to defend myself or my loved ones. The chip was put there by stupid people with stupid ideas. You know the like the morons that elected Bo-Bo.

Please explain why being in a minority is a bad thing?

#16 ·
I only have a Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H. For my purposes it is a "big enough" bore.

I would accept George III over our present government. We currently suffer from far more taxation and loss of freedoms than did the colonies ever did before they "fought a war."

#18 ·
Please explain why being in a minority is a bad thing?
It's quite simple really, I am used to being in the minority as I am English and quite proud of it :cool:, but we are not allowed to be English as that's racist :confused: you can be irish, Scottish and Welsh and thye are on the Governent form like the census but English is not allowed. Of course having an unelected leader, Gordon brown was never voted for so it fact an illegal dictator :mad: , and a government that almost a Scottish government is part of the problem here so minorities are mainly voiceless.

Unless you other than English then being an minority is more important than being in the majority and the tail wags to dog.

The real problem in being in the minority is when your wrong :rolleyes::-

Now according to some like in the Wolfe publication Big Bore rifles they class over 8mm as big bore :confused: so pick the system you like and use it :D.
that is from my original post :D something that you missed or don't understand. In fact I don't care if you like our system or not, and in fact I don't care if you like me or not :p it was you who got all insulting and superior :rolleyes: me I just yanked your chain after that as it was easy to do and amusing. But in reality it's time to move on and I will add another post about a bigger bore than most use (which is .30" or under) although it does not really met with OUR measure of big bore being a Medium bore and not quite reach your idea of big bore as bore diameter is 0.356" but groove diameter is 0.379" ............. yep it has deep grooves ;).

#19 ·
So in you small narrow little mind, because you are of English decent, a minority, that makes you special and privileged and always right. One of the major problems this country face right now is all this "whatever-American crap. Nobody should be Mexican-American, Afro-American or whatever. Teddy Roosevelt said it best.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here
in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to
discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.” Theodore Roosevelt 1907

So that is your second stupid idea.

The first is thinking or even suggesting we follow the British example when it comes to guns, especially on a gun board.

Oh and please explain just how being of English decent somehow makes you omnipotent and never wrong? Are you in Congress or something, that makes your opinion more valuable than mine?

#20 ·
:D LOL thank you for the laugh. It was most welcome. My being English has nothing to do with this board you or even which way the wind blows ;) You asked about minorities so I meerly pointed out that being of a minority I understand what it's like Perhaps I should have made it plainer as your obviously having trouble understanding plain English :( .

Seeing as how I am still in my country of origin what the heck has what Teddy said got to do with me, except perhaps that the immigrants who come here perhaps follow his words and advice, however somehow I cannot see that happening.

As for being omnipotent :eek: who me. No I leave that to God..... who of course is an Englishman ;) or didn't you know that :D.

It's a pity that the Immigrants who have entered the US in more recent years have not followed Teddy's ideas :( if they had the US might be much better.

Now of course again I must add that you really do make it too easy to yank your chain :rolleyes: .

#22 ·
Sorry Bear but you're losing this one.

I'm a Texan and count a Yorkshireman as a good friend. There are good folks everywhere just as there are small minded folks everywhere.
So you think we should follow the British example when it comes to guns too. If you believe your heritage deserves homage over being an American, then this place is become populated by Bo-Bo's morons.

Again nowhere in the USA is a 375 considered an Big Bore. Dispute that because it is the main point along with not following the British attitude toward guns.

#23 ·
The only thing indisputable is the poor attitude you exhibit here. Take your misguided patriotism and your small-minded crusade against fellow forum members and other countries some place else for it isn't appreciated here. Think about your words before you commit them to a post.

I care not by which standards one wishes to use to define big bore cartridges. The whitetail deer here in Texas all took a vote and they consider the .375 H&H Magnum to be a big bore cartridge. It was unanimous.

To return to the original post, the .375 H&H Magnum is an amazing cartridge in my view. It's quite flat shooting for the size of bullet it flings down range. Seems to be capable and hard hitting at long yardage. It is easy to produce accurate hand loads for my rifle. Best groups have been 1 3/4-inch with the factory open sights. Due to the size of the holes such groups appear more impressive than they are. Max handloads have produced 2620 fps with 300 grain bullets and normal extraction. I've never taken any game with my rifle. It would probably work with little fuss and perhaps less damage on our deer than any of several other high power rifles commonly used.

Some years ago I took a buck with a Winchester Model 1895 in .405. He dropped in his tracks in an unspectacular manner with less muss and fuss than a 150 grain spitzer from a .30-06 typically delivers. I imagine the .375 H&H Magnum would be much the same.

Deer season opens here in less than two weeks. If I get enough days in hunting I might tote the .375 into the woods.

#24 ·
The only thing indisputable is the poor attitude you exhibit here. Take your misguided patriotism and your small-minded crusade against fellow forum members and other countries some place else for it isn't appreciated here. Think about your words before you commit them to a post.

I care not by which standards one wishes to use to define big bore cartridges. The whitetail deer here in Texas all took a vote and they consider the .375 H&H Magnum to be a big bore cartridge. It was unanimous.

To return to the original post, the .375 H&H Magnum is an amazing cartridge in my view. It's quite flat shooting for the size of bullet it flings down range. Seems to be capable and hard hitting at long yardage. It is easy to produce accurate hand loads for my rifle. Best groups have been 1 3/4-inch with the factory open sights. Due to the size of the holes such groups appear more impressive than they are. Max handloads have produced 2620 fps with 300 grain bullets and normal extraction. I've never taken any game with my rifle. It would probably work with little fuss and perhaps less damage on our deer than any of several other high power rifles commonly used.

Some years ago I took a buck with a Winchester Model 1895 in .405. He dropped in his tracks in an unspectacular manner with less muss and fuss than a 150 grain spitzer from a .30-06 typically delivers. I imagine the .375 H&H Magnum would be much the same.

Deer season opens here in less than two weeks. If I get enough days in hunting I might tote the .375 into the woods.
I could care less if my attitude bothers you. In fact I hope it hurts you feelings. The 375 H&H is worthless for deer. I use a 45/70 with 405 lead bullets and I get on shot dead deer with a .458" hole in and out with next to no meat loss. The 375 H&H was designed to be used on African big game so on this continent the only thing you "might" need it for is Brown Bear or it's first cousin the Polar Bear.

#25 ·
He heh! My feelings are irretrievably injured! I just wanted you to know. I suppose I'll go weeping off to bed now. I'll never be the same after being brutalized by your overbearing attitude. You really are more manly than the rest of us on this forum, aren't you?

"The .375 is worthless for deer." Thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

Anyway, here's a photo of me shooting the Winchester Model 70 Super Express .375 H&H. It is just a garden variety, push-feed, 80s vintage rifle but has a nice trigger and groups well. My brother-in-law, nephew and I had a fine time shooting at a 4' X 2' rock in a canyon. A range finder claimed it was 394 yards. I'd never shot the rifle at distances longer than 100 yards and was surprised and pleased with how little drop it exhibited and how easy it was to place the 300 grain Hornady spitzers onto the rock.

#26 ·
Utterly shocked!

It is both sad and troublesome to see a forum topic degenerating into a personal vendetta having really nothing to do with the matter of discussion. It is a disservice to the person who posted a legitimate query, to the authors of consequent on-topic posts and to all readers. Particularly, to personally attack a member based on his nationality or citizenship seems unforgivable and inconsistent with the American spirit. Further, to attribute to any private person. the policies or politics of his nation, is both unfair and unjust. In respect of England, of English people and English law, much of the customs, traditions and law that we revere are rooted in our nation's English history and English common law. While our rebellion against England did contribute materially to our Second Constitutional Amendment, we have since enjoyed perhaps the closest and most direct friendship and commonality with this 'brother' nation. Having been privileged to study in England, as as a member of the California State Bar and U.S. Supreme Court Bar, I take particular exception to the conclusions as well as the rude and caustic comments expressed here against a friend in the United Kingdom. While perhaps opinions have gotten out of hand, to Brithunter as the original innocent recipient of a personal attack, I offer a sincere apology. We all should have the unfettered right to express our opinion without exposure to such vehemence. After all, this should be a collegial forum of gentlemen. May I now suggest that out of courtesy and respect to BoredinBaghdad (Thank you for your service!), we restore custody of this thread to the original topic.
My take.

#27 ·
This ends right now, otherwise, people will get violations. Back to the topic at hand or else.

#28 · (Edited)
HOORAH!

I have a Mark X Mauser in 375 H&H mag. Put a custom stock on it from Richards Microfit. A fairly heavy rifle, it has 2 recoil lugs, a typical receiver lug and a lug at the back underside of the barrel, dovetailed in!

It seems to be a later Interarms import, made in Yugoslavia, and much higher quality than the earlier ones from the same factory, Zastava, sold by Herter. Pretty much a standard 98 commercial Mauser with adjustable trigger, side sear safety and long magazine. I put an older (made in Japan, not China) 2x7 Tasco on it.

It's amazingly accurate, both 275 gr. spitzers and 300 gr. roundnose bullets hit at the same point of aim at 100 yards, one (ragged) hole. Also easy on the recoil with the stock cut for me and the heavy weight.

If you can find one, BUY IT! from some other posts its a lot better rifle than the CZ.

Tried looking for one. Loos like KBI imported them, too - $699 :
http://www.gunsamerica.com/97692923...ES_DALY_SUPERIOR_MAUSER_WALNUT_HP_BLUE_DT.htm

The "Whitworth" mauser is the same as my Mark X, but has 3 leaf express sights plus scope taps.

#29 ·
Yeah, what Sean said....any more dumb and I say DUMB remarks and from certain people and it will be time to sit in the corner holding your red card :mad:

#30 ·
I Dont Know If This Will Help

Im thinking that you can get a pretty cheap rifle chambered in 375 H&H if you were to just simply buy a custom action or use another action from a factory rifle. Simply rechamber the rifle and your done. If you dont have the gunsmithing backround or tools to do it you can employ a gunsmith to do this any real gunsmith should know how to do this. Your cost I guess would be the action barrel stock and your scope you wanted. Id imagine just taking a guess here that you could do all that for around 2000 dollars or less.. depending on which route you go with finding the action. On the other hand as far as I know ammo for it is expensive and even if you reload its expensive brass.

Im not the end all expert on this just taking a guess and sharing what I would do.

Hope This Helps
-Brandon

#31 ·
The brass may be expensive but its not really too bad and it'll last a long time if you're not trying for velocity records. After building a numbe rof custom rifles I've come to the conclusion its way cheaper and more satisfactory to start with a sporter designed for the round. I hate to think what my Mark X would have cost if I started with just a Mauser action. For one thing I wouldn't have thought of the second barrel recoil lug but I just learned that mausers are supposed to perform better with one, maybe the reason mine is so accurate. For another I'd be stuck with buying a magnum magazine/trigger guard, and the last I looked a custom one for the 375 H&H was $420!

#32 ·
My solution to a new, inexpensive .375 H&H was buying a Weatherby MkV Synthetic and replacing the injection moulded plastic stock with one from an Accumark (Bell & Carlson with alloy bedding block). Also did this with a .338/378. I think they came up pretty well and at an easily affordable price has given me a couple of great shooting rifles. .375 H&H in front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.