Question Can Steel case rounds be reloaded

3 Questions:
    I have alot of steel 7.62x39 rounds. Can they be reloaded?
    What is the difference between 7.62x54R and 7.62x54?
    I have several Mosins and I am getting a STV 40 this coming week.
    I bought another Hex 91/30, unbeknownst to the wife, and the B5 guy gave me (sold) 7.62x54 ammo. NO R on it. I shot a few through the 91/30 and it worked. Was I lucky? I don't want to ruin my rifles.
    I have read several things about Mosin 1895s Last night I was chided for asking if it used 7.62x39. Today I read that it does use that round and "if you find that to expensive use a S&W32long or a 32 MAG. I may be reading it wrong here's a link
    http://www.jgsales.com/product_revie...eviews_id/2607
    They didn't say if the cylinder was changed over. The reason I ask about this is that 7.62x39 ammo will be available, hopefully, while I hear that hand gun ammo may be banned in 2011. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Steel cases can most likely be reloaded, but why bother? It would be a hassle - Just bite the bullet so to say and buy reloadable brass & reload to your hearts content - I reload for my 7.62x54r and am happy to use brass cases.

Pahtu.

You need to bone up on calibers.

1. Steel cased rounds, particularly the Berdan primed ones like you've probably got for surplus, cannot be reloaded.

2. Did the ammo you shot have a rimmed cartridge case? If so, then it was 7.52x54r. There is Argentine Mauser ammo that is 7.65x53mm but it won't chamber in a Mosin-Nagant. I'm thinking you just got "7.62mm Russian" ammo without the "R" for rimmed marked.

3. The Nagant M1895 revolver has absolutely nothing to do with Col. Mosin. It is a Nagant, Belgian designed Russian revolver. It uses a gas seal cartridge that is 7.62mm or .30 cal (7.62x38R), but it is not 7.62x39mm M43, which is the cartridge used in the SKS and AKM rifles and so on.

If you don't mind the brass being damaged, you can shoot .32 S&W long in a Nagant. Some folks insist the revolver is strong enough to also shoot the .32 H&R "Magnum" cartridge too.

yeah you read it wrong. in the ad it says "7.62 Nagant", no mention of x39 anywhere. the nagant 1895 revolver (no relation to mosin, make sure you don't get the two confused) originally fires the 7.62x38 cartridge.

your ignorance is a bit humorous to those of us who are in the know, but we need to remember that we were once in the same position. people aren't born with this knowledge....and at least you have the balls to ask the "stupid" questions.
    don't get offended if you get poked fun at....but for those who chide you without trying to help, they're being useless and you might as well ignore them.

the "R" in 7.62x54R stands for "rimmed", so if you have a box marked "7.62x54" and the cartridges have rimmed cases, it's the same stuff (just the manufacturer decided not to print the "R" for whatever reason)

as for handgun ammo being banned in 2011, I'm pretty sure that's another gem of panic nonsense. I read something about a silly bill in kalifornia that will outlaw internet/mail order sales of handgun ammo in the next couple years or so, but nothing of a outright federal ban.
    but if you're concerned about ammo availability, just know that 7.62 Nagant ammo is not very common to find, and when you do find some it is pretty expensive. the revolvers are cheap, but the ammo is pricey....

I'm not really sure exactly what you're asking, and apologize if I come across the wrong way, but you sound a little confused.

Do you have a Mosin-Nagant Rifle, or an 1895 Nagant revolver, or both?

The Mosin Nagant rifle only uses 7.62x54R rifle ammo (sometimes referred to as 7.62x54).

The 1895 Nagant revolver uses 7.62x38R revolver ammo, and can use some other .32 revolver shells that are close enough to chamber and safely fire. Some folks use conversion cylinders that shoot .32acp.. I make my own out of .32-20 brass. 7.62x38R is not common, but if you're resourceful and can reload, you'll always be able to shoot. That being said, I really wouldn't recommend one for self defense or practical shooting. They are underpowered, slow and clunky.

The 7.62x39 cannot be used in either, of course. It is used in SKS and AK rifles.

Steel cases, like the others have said, may be technically reloadable, but only as an academic exercise if you're a really bored advanced reloader looking for a challenge. Do yourself a favor and toss them in the trash without a second thought.

ADDED: I reread your post and now see that you are asking several unrelated questions and are probably not near as confused as I first assumed. Sorry about that.
    Looks like Chazz beat me to it anyhow. Also, I would not count on any ammo being banned in this country anytime soon. Many of the radicals currently in charge in DC would love to ban everything, I'm sure, but we do have a little thing called elections in this country. I personally would love to see them try something like that. It would be a sure-fire way of getting them voted out next time around.
    Last edited by Fatelk; 09-13-2009 at 05:06 PM.