Thread: Turkish modified Gew.88 Commission rifle

Question Turkish modified Gew.88 Commission rifle

This one was also found at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show this weekend, I've wanted one of these to go with my other Turkish rifles for some time now. The cross-bolt nut has been replaced with an old-style square nut, I'm wondering if this would have been a Turkish repair or a later quick-fix? I'm considering replacing the cross-bolt and/or just the bolt nut with a correct one (if I can locate one), any thoughts on this from fellow collectors?

TIA...
    Gunhorde [:D]

Milsurps - like legal crack

"There were 1.5 million people at the inauguration and only 14 missed work." - unknown

3782 posts on the previous G.B. V.3

Default Cross-Bolt on Turk.

Who ever did the Nut replacement (Turk or Bubba) would have used the WRONG Threaded Nut ( Turkish "Bubba" a Withworth 1/4 ( x20) nut, American Bubba a UNC (1/4x20 or a UNF (1/4x28) Nut...a square nut is more likely a x20 Coarse thread...) None of these will match the original "Mauser" Thread of 1/4x22, which was also the Receiver main screw thread as well. The result will be a mangled thread on the cross bolt, necessitating either a recut (Brownells has Taps and Dies in 1/4x22) or a replacement Cross bolt ( Any Standard Mauser Cross bolt will do, German, Czech, etc....the Turks made their own as well as using up others...). Simplest course is get a replacement cross bolt complete.

Regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics
    Brisbane Australia.

Thanks DocAV !!

I just ordered a Gew98 recoil lug assembly from Numrich.
    Gunhorde [:D]

Milsurps - like legal crack

"There were 1.5 million people at the inauguration and only 14 missed work." - unknown

3782 posts on the previous G.B. V.3