Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    589

    Default CZ 88 pistol, Tokarev "Commander"

    A couple of years ago, I purchased, from Sarco, two Zastava "CZ 88" pistols in 9mm para. I was pleasantly surprised as the condition exceeded expectations.

    These guns are to the Tokarev TT 33 what the Colt Commander is to the Government Model, and an absolute ball to shoot, and just about the perfect size.

    As an added bonus, although original Yugo mags have a steel finger rest type floorplate, the Norinco 213 type 9mm mags work perfectly.

    I understand that there is a company (EAA?) that is importing commercial versions of this gun.

    Anyone else had experience with these?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Midwest.
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    I have seen them at gun show last year. I do not remember the price, something over 250 dollars. I did not think I needed one. New owners might be interested in one, however, you do not usually find new shooters here.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    As far as i remember, these were sold by Sarco for a short time in Shotgun News in the late 90's and were adverised as "Baby Tok's", then
    suddenly they were no longer imported!
    My Dealer had 1 at a show 2 yrs ago which was NIB, that he had for yrs. and finally decided to sell it, was about $230. came with 1 mag. brush and a fold-out huge poster/manual in original language.
    Gorgeous gun, Tok 100% but called Sarco and about a dozen other places as well as EEA, nobody had any mags and was told these would not be imported anymore, and that many were looking for mags.
    Mine was ser.no 00000X (below 6)
    A yr later i called EEA again and they had mags, but they needed the guns ser. no. (?) before they would sell me any, then they said , you got 1 of the first imported!
    Mine is marked M-88-A, not M-88, it has flat grips and not the ugly ones with the indentions on both sides. Saw 2 more of the newer ones recently, price went up $100. I love mine, there are some reviews on several forums all great, except 1 dude got a "Lemon"!
    I have never heard of a"Commercial" version, can you explain?
    Also it is not a "CZ88" CZ= Czech, Zastava = Yugo (Serbia)!
    The 9mm mags from my Chin Tok will not fit, To large since the Chin. 9mm have a spacer in a reg Tok mag, and the Zastava Mag Well wont take these! Also none of my Zastave mags have a Steel finger-rest, but a Vinyl one!
    http://www.eaacorp.com/EAA2009Catalog.pdf

    Page 7!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    The reason import was stopped/banned in late 90's was the War in Yugo in 99 during which Nato bombs damaged the Zastava Factory.
    They were resumed just about 2 yrs. ago on this gun!
    Also here is the difference on the M-88 compared to the M-88-A.

    Quote!

    Zastava M-88
    Notes: This weapon was conceived as a smaller version of the M-70 in 9mmP caliber, but the appearance has been altered such that the genesis of the weapon in the Tokarev is no longer so apparent. The normal M-88 has the safety catch on the slide, but an M-88A version has the catch at the rear of the slide where it can block both the slide and hammer. In the wake of the breakup of Yugoslavia, the status of this weapon is unknown.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Midwest.
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vz58kid View Post
    As far as i remember, these were sold by Sarco for a short time in Shotgun News in the late 90's and were adverised as "Baby Tok's", then
    suddenly they were no longer imported!
    My Dealer had 1 at a show 2 yrs ago which was NIB, that he had for yrs. and finally decided to sell it, was about $230. came with 1 mag. brush and a fold-out huge poster/manual in original language.
    Gorgeous gun, Tok 100% but called Sarco and about a dozen other places as well as EEA, nobody had any mags and was told these would not be imported anymore, and that many were looking for mags.
    Mine was ser.no 00000X (below 6)
    A yr later i called EEA again and they had mags, but they needed the guns ser. no. (?) before they would sell me any, then they said , you got 1 of the first imported!
    Mine is marked M-88-A, not M-88, it has flat grips and not the ugly ones with the indentions on both sides. Saw 2 more of the newer ones recently, price went up $100. I love mine, there are some reviews on several forums all great, except 1 dude got a "Lemon"!
    I have never heard of a"Commercial" version, can you explain?
    Also it is not a "CZ88" CZ= Czech, Zastava = Yugo (Serbia)!
    The 9mm mags from my Chin Tok will not fit, To large since the Chin. 9mm have a spacer in a reg Tok mag, and the Zastava Mag Well wont take these! Also none of my Zastave mags have a Steel finger-rest, but a Vinyl one!
    http://www.eaacorp.com/EAA2009Catalog.pdf

    Page 7!
    EAA is selling commercial version. If Sarco batch was new, then it probably was commercial version too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    About my Zavodi Crvena M-88-A, forgot to mention, all i have ever seen is the ZC M-88 and not the ZC M-88-A version!
    I do know a limited no. was imported 10 yrs. ago but the wood grips had to be replaced with plastic, alledgedly since wood was on the Mil. version,
    so i am curious as to whether or not my M-88-A was one of these few?
    Any idea's anybody?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    589

    Default

    The two that I purchased from Sarco had domed wooden grips with a "ZCZ" medallion installed in the lower portion of the left grip and were advertised as CZ-88s, although we all know a Yugo Zastava gun is technically a "ZCZ"

    They are marked Zavodi Crvena Zastava
    Kragujevac-Jugoslavia

    The 9mm mags from my Chin Tok will not fit, To large since the Chin. 9mm have a spacer in a reg Tok mag, and the Zastava Mag Well wont take these!
    Your Chinese Tok must not be a 213. The 213 mags are the short ones which rely on the spacer in the mag well, not the mag body and they work perfectly in the "(Z)CZ 88."

    Sarco also had a couple of other Yugoslavian oddballs, but apparently these are sold out as well.

    New owners might be interested in one, however, you do not usually find new shooters here.
    Why would these be limited to "new" shooters? I've been shooting since 1957 and I'm always looking for new and interesting guns to shoot...

    EAA is selling commercial version. If Sarco batch was new, then it probably was commercial version too.
    The ones I received from Sarco weren't "new unfired," but they sure were NRA excellent.

    And they're a lot of fun to shoot; Seem to be "just the right size."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    5,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vz58kid View Post
    Mine is marked M-88-A, not M-88, it has flat grips and not the ugly ones with the indentions on both sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by vz58kid View Post
    About my Zavodi Crvena M-88-A, forgot to mention, all i have ever seen is the ZC M-88 and not the ZC M-88-A version!
    Huh? If all you've seen is the ZC M-88, then you've never looked at your ZC M-88-A? How do you know it's a ZC M-88-A then?

    I'm too!

    SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

    Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    SlimTim, remember i had bought it at show about 2 yrs. ago this Feb. at the CHatt. Nat. Guard Armory and showed it to you, it had 00000X and you actually sort of also wanted one! Then last yr. on 2 occassions i saw 1 in Knox. but we did not like the new Grips.
    Mine is marked M 88 A, the others all have been and are marked M 88, but look the same except for the new grips!
    Searching on Web, i found only 1 reference to the M 88 A Model. (Which is stamped in large letters on side of Slide!)
    The normal M-88 has the safety catch on the slide, but an M-88A version has the catch at the rear of the slide where it can block both the slide and hammer. So i simply wonder what is up with the A.
    "Inquiring Mind's Need To Know"!:D

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Midwest.
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dondone View Post
    Why would these be limited to "new" shooters? I've been shooting since 1957 and I'm always looking for new and interesting guns to shoot...
    I did not put any limits. I have Soviet, Polish and Hungarian TT-33. This makes M88 somewhat less attractive for me. Someone who does not have as many TT-33 as I do, might find M88 interesting or they might buy 9mm Bersa.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    5,583

    Default

    Kid--clear as mud! M-88 or M-88-A, I'm M-88'd out.

    IJ, no Yugo M57?? Chinese T-54??? Why not?

    SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

    Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Well, i sent an E-Mail to EEA asking them about my M 88 A and as to why all i ever see is the M 88 version's? Hopefully they will let me know, since no info on the M 88 A is available!
    Since my ser. no. is 00000X below 4, maybe i have a "Rare" Prototype?:D :eek:

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Midwest.
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
    IJ, no Yugo M57?? Chinese T-54??? Why not?

    SlimTim
    No Type 54 because I do not buy Chinese guns.

    No M57 because I do not have money. Hopefully I can find a part time job in a month or so, then I will order one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •