Default SMK 69 vs Hornady 68 in 223

I've been using SMK 69 grain for a while now and I decided to try the much cheaper and highly praised Hornady match 68 grainers. As naive as I was , I thought I'd simply pretty much use SMK data but it looks like the lighter bullet is actually quite a bit longer. My Varget load is already slightly compressed (25 gains) and I can't imagine pushing the bullet another millimeter into the case.
    Is anyone loading this bullet with Varget ? (it's the only powder I have)
    Last edited by panrobercik; 11-15-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Wow, that IS a big difference...
    No one ever got into Valhalla unarmed.

You SURE that is not a 75 grainer? I don't remember that much of a difference..
    The Americans fight for a free world, the English mostly for honor and glory and medals, the French and Canadians decide too late that they have to participate. The Italians are too scared to fight; the Russians have no choice. The Germans for the Fatherland. The Boers? Those sons of bitches fight for the hell of it!” - American General, George “Guts and Glory” Patton

they are actually 68.4 grain. It was a big surprise to me since I expected it to be the same length or shorter

Maybe it's the picture but to me, they don't even appear to be the same diameter.
    Different core weights could explain the vast difference in length.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

The SMK are 0.899 in length . Hornady are roughly 0.1 inch longer (give or take since both vary in length)
    COL on SMK is 2.235 so in order to get the same pressure in the case I should sit Hornadys to 2.335, right ?
    The magazine is plenty long (Savage 16FXP3)
    The groves start at 2.415 for Hornady bullet seated (checked with a dummy round)
    so, another words if I seat the 68's @2.335 , I should still be 0.8 from the lands and be safe , right ?
    25 gr Varget is mid way load for 69 gr bullet.

So ,I got to try the new loads with the 68s. I used SMK load and seated them .1 inch longer.
    The fliers may be a result of .22 shells hitting me and causing distraction.
    The dots and the grid is slightly under an inch. 50 yard groups , Savage 16FXp3, fed one round at the time ,sitting with a rest