Gunboards Forums banner

SMK 69 vs Hornady 68 in 223

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  panrobercik 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been using SMK 69 grain for a while now and I decided to try the much cheaper and highly praised Hornady match 68 grainers. As naive as I was , I thought I'd simply pretty much use SMK data but it looks like the lighter bullet is actually quite a bit longer. My Varget load is already slightly compressed (25 gains) and I can't imagine pushing the bullet another millimeter into the case.
Is anyone loading this bullet with Varget ? (it's the only powder I have)

#2 ·
Wow, that IS a big difference...

#5 ·
Maybe it's the picture but to me, they don't even appear to be the same diameter.
Different core weights could explain the vast difference in length.

#6 ·
The SMK are 0.899 in length . Hornady are roughly 0.1 inch longer (give or take since both vary in length)
COL on SMK is 2.235 so in order to get the same pressure in the case I should sit Hornadys to 2.335, right ?
The magazine is plenty long (Savage 16FXP3)
The groves start at 2.415 for Hornady bullet seated (checked with a dummy round)
so, another words if I seat the 68's @2.335 , I should still be 0.8 from the lands and be safe , right ?
25 gr Varget is mid way load for 69 gr bullet.

#7 ·
So ,I got to try the new loads with the 68s. I used SMK load and seated them .1 inch longer.
The fliers may be a result of .22 shells hitting me and causing distraction.
The dots and the grid is slightly under an inch. 50 yard groups , Savage 16FXp3, fed one round at the time ,sitting with a rest

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.