Default Pre-ban Springfield Armoury M1As

Anyone know where to find one of these with the original M14 style front flash suppressor and bayonet lug? Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is to look for the ones with the GI barrels. These will have both flash supressor and bayonet lug....

OK, but where, or do i have to look at every M1A for sale to find one?? and of course those 5 or 10 rd mags won't do either, but 20 rounders are easy enough to find..

Fulton Armory sells a repro flash suppressor for around 60 bucks that is National Match reamed and has a bayonet lug.Fits any M1A and looks good.

Anyone know where to find one of these with the original M14 style front flash suppressor and bayonet lug? Thanks in advance.
    The bayo lug is part of the flash suppressor. There are many usgi (forged) FS around and aftermerket (cast). Check m14fl.com

thanks Cratebuilder, & Wayne.

If the bayonet lug is built onto the flash suppressor - what about the front sights - looks like they are right above the lug, is that all one piece? It must screw in and would have to be precision aligned to ensure the sights are properly aligned right?

Wayne - Boca as in Boca-Raton FL? Gold-coaster eh? Well I'm a Sun-coaster from Tampa area now. maybe we''ll meet at a large show - they have them every quarter at the fairgrounds just east of Tampa. I'm due home in jan.

next question:
    Other than what I already know about later M1As being made from largely cast parts vs forged on pre-ban ones, what other changes did SA make to the M1As after the 86 laws?? again, thanks in advance.

should I just continue looking for a complete older pre-ban one?

m14fl.com does not seem to be a proper url - is there a spelling typo here?? Thanks.

It's the m14 firing line. Right now it's down as it was jacked Wednesday.
    Vigilance in Living counteracts Stupidity in Dying
    Per Scintillam Flamma

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike View Post
    If the bayonet lug is built onto the flash suppressor - what about the front sights - looks like they are right above the lug, is that all one piece? It must screw in and would have to be precision aligned to ensure the sights are properly aligned right?
    next question:
    Other than what I already know about later M1As being made from largely cast parts vs forged on pre-ban ones, what other changes did SA make to the M1As after the 86 laws?? again, thanks in advance.
    should I just continue looking for a complete older pre-ban one?
    Mike, The NM front sights are a separate entity, and will be marked "NM". As for the cast-vs forged parts, I do believe that the current M1A rifles being sent to the sand box are investment cast, not forged pieces. Personally, I believe that for the SA mode, and not FA mode, the cast-vs-forged argument doesn't hold water, as far as durability goes. If I were an anal collector, maybe yes. I'd prefer forged over investment cast, but not because of possible wear problems. I've talked with several reputable armorers that say the same thing. As for the collectible part, yes get as many USGI parts as you can get on these rifles. However, contrary to urban legend, there is nothing wrong with investment casting. At least according to some very knowledgeable people I've discussed this subject with. JMO.

Michael
    Last edited by highestangel; 10-02-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks, I guess then that the sights can be changed independent of the flash supressor.
    Now as to M1As being sent over here - They are not. The military is using existing stocks of M14s. The Navy still uses them on their ships. It's a current service weapon, just not a a general issue item. If i could get to a unit with some M14's i'd do so just to check one out up close.

I found this one on GunBroker last year, it was made in 1994 before the ban and has all USGI parts except ofcourse the reciever. Your best bet is to keep checking auction sites like Auction Arms and Gun Broker, they turn up from time to time. I was lucky to find an unfired NIB one, it came with Springfields black painted GI fiberglass stock which I replaced with a GI National Match walnut stock.

Nice, So how much are you selling it for (with the wood stock of course!!)

OK, say i found one at gunbroker.com, what would a new one (built in the late 80s) supposedly still wrapped in the plastic be worth? 2,000, 2,500, 3,000 How do i find out what a pre-ban M1A (used or unused) is really worth?????

Default Early M1A's

I've seen early M1A's for sale around the $1800. They are hard to come by. Look for ones under the 80K serial # range which will indicate manufacture in the 80's as I recall. I started seeing a marked decline in quality after that compared to the earlier one.
    As far as the forged receivers go I have a Devine Texas factory full auto M1A and have shot thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all.:D

Quote Originally Posted by samnev2 View Post
    I've seen early M1A's for sale around the $1800. They are hard to come by. Look for ones under the 80K serial # range which will indicate manufacture in the 80's as I recall. I started seeing a marked decline in quality after that compared to the earlier one.
    As far as the forged receivers go I have a Devine Texas factory full auto M1A and have shot thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all.:D
    I picked this one up at a local shop 3 years ago for $899.
    Serial # puts it 5/80 production. All parts are USGI except the receiver, including 976 NM SACO LOWELL barrel.

It came with two stocks, 4 mags, a Springfield Armory scope mount and a Bushnell (whoopie) scope.

On the plus side, it gauged less than 1 on both TE and MW :D

M1A's with USGI Parts are out there, but as stated, they'll be on the "secondary market".

Keep looking.:cool:
    "Nothing says "Obey me" like a bloody head on a fence post." -Stewie Griffin

Springfield Armory was using USGI parts well into the 90's depending on their supply. I have an M1A produced about 2 weeks post-ban. Bought about 2 years ago with an Armscorp Brookfield copy scope mount for $1100. It used all USGI parts except for a "deluxe walnut stock"; only other change was removal of the bayo lug from the flashider. I replaced this with a USGI part and fitted a USGI fiberglass stock. You also may want to look for an Armscorp, who made their own receivers (also for Fulton Armory) and assembled complete rifles with USGI parts.

Samnev2's $1800 estimate is probably about right, maybe a little low using CadillacMike's parameters (i.e. in the wrap, early 80's). However, unless you are looking at storing it unfired and hoping for a future windfall there is no significant difference in value from a later M1A with USGI parts. I would value either of my rifles at about $1500.

Here are a couple of M14 sites. You may have to register to access, but they are both good.

http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/
    http://www.warrifles.com/forums/index.php?

Thanks Bill,
    I'm not necessarily looking for an unfired wrapped up in the box example, although that wouldn't be bad. I just want one that was built before the "ban" and doesn't look like it was dragged through the vietnam war!! Definately want a wood stock though. I could care less what typew of super duper barrel trigger, etc it has, just a plain wood stocked pre-ban M1A is just fine with me.
    I intend to use it, compare it with the M1, AR15 for accuracy, etc. I'm mainly a camera and coin collector - but a rifle user.

Thanks Bill,
    I'm not necessarily looking for an unfired wrapped up in the box example, although that wouldn't be bad. I just want one that was built before the "ban" and doesn't look like it was dragged through the vietnam war!! Definately want a wood stock though. I could care less what typew of super duper barrel trigger, etc it has, just a plain wood stocked pre-ban M1A is just fine with me.
    I intend to use it, compare it with the M1, AR15 for accuracy, etc. I'm mainly a camera and coin collector - but a rifle user.
    Mike, why are you concerned about "pre-ban" The ban expired years ago and the new stuff is just like pre-ban.
    A M1A from the "ban" period would have the bayo lug machined off, that's all.

If your not concerned about a NM barrel, trigger and sights, a standard model should be just what you want.

Hi Madcratebuilder - You hit it exactly - the bayonet lug (and original milspec flash suppressor) I want one with those on it and better construction the older ones are associated with.

Hi Madcratebuilder - You hit it exactly - the bayonet lug (and original milspec flash suppressor) I want one with those on it and better construction the older ones are associated with.

Mike, I agree with you on the older ones, and USGI parts. However, if you can get a GOOD deal on a newer one, I personally wouldn't be afraid of it. I have a SA that is a military version, with the cut out on the stock, and this rifle has been outstanding. The SN is in the 161,000 range, it's not a Super National Match rifle, but many people put these rifles down that probably haven't even owned one. I bought mine back in '04, and haven't had any problems with it. I like the lifetime warranty of SA myself. I'm currently looking to buy a Super National Match rifle myself.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by highestangel View Post
    Mike, I agree with you on the older ones, and USGI parts. However, if you can get a GOOD deal on a newer one, I personally wouldn't be afraid of it. I have a SA that is a military version, with the cut out on the stock, and this rifle has been outstanding. The SN is in the 161,000 range, it's not a Super National Match rifle, but many people put these rifles down that probably haven't even owned one. I bought mine back in '04, and haven't had any problems with it. I like the lifetime warranty of SA myself. I'm currently looking to buy a Super National Match rifle myself.
    Michael
    I'm not knocking the new ones, but i want one with the bayonet lug and original fluted flash suppressor. New ones don't have those items.

I'm not knocking the new ones, but i want one with the bayonet lug and original fluted flash suppressor. New ones don't have those items.
    My f/h was opened up, but doesn't have the bayo lug. I'm looking to buy a NM f/h, NM rear hooded sight to match my front NM sight, and a fake FA switch from Fulton Armory to fill the hole in the stock. The only thing that has held me back was that the rifle shoots so well, I'm afraid that anything I do to it might affect the accuracy of the rifle! It hangs right in there with my friends SNM, and his eyes are a lot younger than mine as is the rear sights. BTW, there are current commercial mfgs supplying M1A type rifles to the military for the sand box. Yes there were many original M14s that the Guard units took over there, thank God that we still had some after the Clinton purge. Much like the Stalin purge, if you follow history. Good luck in your search for the rifle you want.

Michael

Mike,

I'm not sure any of the posts above, including mine, made it clear that fitting a USGI or repro flashider/bayo lug piece is only a matter of loosening a setscrew and unscrewing the barrel nut. The part slips off and can be replaced in about 5 minutes. When I got my postban M1A, I had to replace this part to restore the evil lug. If you already were clear on this, then disregard this post. Good hunting and be patient.

As stated above, you are aware you can put a flashider with bayonet lug on any M1A, aren't you?

You don't have to buy a "preban" to add that feature....unless your state is one of those squirrely ones....
    "Nothing says "Obey me" like a bloody head on a fence post." -Stewie Griffin

As Springfield began running out of USGI parts they started fabricating more of their own. While there is nothing wrong with the newer rifles these parts are sometimes provided by foreign manufacturers and suppliers. The older rifles have always been more desirable because of this fact. These new made parts are functional but they are not the same quality of USGI parts which were manufactured to strict tolerances and specifications. I have owned several of these rifles over the past 35 years and the more USGI parts in them, the better they are.
    Looks at the classifieds here and you'll see just the GI parts commanding premium prices, there is a good reason for this. Several buyers of new rifles replace the current parts with GI ones as they find them. Most preban M1As still had all GI parts and even into the late 90s they still contained some GI parts. Current flash suppressors for example are imported from Taiwan as are other parts that Springfield employs now. Springfield always made a quality product that they stand behind. That said the early ones with all GI parts are and will always be superior to current production examples.