Thread: Spanish Mauser, but which one?

Default Spanish Mauser, but which one?

Picked this up today, don't know alot about spanish mausers, heard there metalurgy wasn't of the highest quality. Tended to stay away from them because of that. But found this interesting little rifle and it was $50 and i figured why not. At first i thought it was a 1916 short rifle but im not intirely sure of that. Everything seems to look like the other ones i've seen except that it has a strange looking rear sight, all curvy. Reciever is marked Fabrica Dearamas Oviedo 1922. Is chambered in 7mm mauser, not .308 and has the earlier type of bolt without the third "lug" and shroud detent. So what is it?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson, 1775.

"What is it ?" It's a good find for sure. With a clearly marked crest, still in 7mm and the Lange Vizier rear sight you stole that rifle. Congrats. I found a 1926 dated example a while ago and paid $100 and was told by several that that was a great deal.
    "Always stand on principle, even if you stand alone." --- J.Q. Adams

Model 1916 and a real score at that price.
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

It might have been cheap but it has it's problems. The tip of the firing pin has snapped off, it is missing the band closest to the reciever, is missing the plunger/spring for the floorplate latch and one of the plungers is missing from the sights. Plus no cleaning rod but thats no biggie to me.Also my tarkish bayonet fit on it like a glove which was neat:D
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson, 1775.

It's an "early" model 1916 Spanish Mauser. The early ones had the Lange-Viser "roller-coaster" rear sight. Nice Find!

Springfield Sporters should have most of the parts for it:
    Link: http://www.ssporters.com/parts/93%2095%20Mauser.htm
    (the parts shown as being for a "short rifle" are for the Model 1916)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" don't you understand?

Any idea of it's worth? I just bought it for the heck of it and don't have a lot of interest in spanish mausers and will probably put it on the trader.

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

$49.95

Sniff -- I sure miss Ted!
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

oh come now, i think cleaning it would have made it worth at least .05ยข more

SAMCO is selling the ones converted to 7.62-NATO for $130. Add $50 for original 7X57 chambering, and add another $50 for the original, early Lange-Viser rear sight, and it tallies up to about $230.

SAMCO Link:
    http://www.samcoglobal.com/m1916.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" don't you understand?

Please see my webiste at http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome Value depends on condition, although $50 is a decent price for almost anything. Exterior looks OK, if the bore is in decent shape, you really made a score! If you would care to share the serial number for my database, that would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz1255 View Post
    Please see my webiste at http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome Value depends on condition, although $50 is a decent price for almost anything. Exterior looks OK, if the bore is in decent shape, you really made a score! If you would care to share the serial number for my database, that would be appreciated.
    Sure, serial is F7141, bolt is F8715 if that is any interest to you.

The serial number is right for the year of production. Nice find!