Default Removing a pachmayr recoil pad

Just got a 257roberts barreled arisaka type 38 action sporter built back in 60's or early 70s that is in a Bishop stock. It has a waffle type pachmayr recoil pad on butt of stock. Butt of rifle has been shortened considerably and I may want to lenghten stock by installing a wood spacer. I need to remove the waffle type pachmayr pad. I suspect it is held to wood with two screws, but rubber pad itself has no indication of having any holes for inserting a screwdriver.

Any ideas how the pad in installed and how I can remove the pad?

A trick that allways worked for me was to take some oil such as wd40 and rub it on the recoil pad, push down on it and look for a little slit where the screwhole is. There is allways the chance that it could be glued on so if you can't find a whole there probobly isn't one.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson, 1775.

Are you trying to save the pad? If so, look for two small vertical splits in the pad about 3/4"-1" from each end of the pad. Pull across the pad with your fingers and the openings should be obvious. Use a phillips screwdriver coated with a lubricant and back out the screws. If it has been epoxied on, you most likely won't be able to re-use. If on the other hand, you have no intentions of salvaging the pad, cut thru it with a hack saw until you expose the screws.

If you want to lengthen the stock use the thickest pad you can find and or re-install with a spacer made for the purpose. You can order the spacers from Midway or Brownells.

Hope this helps,

Bill V

Thank you gents. The recoil pad is now off. Clever how well the slits for the screws were hidden.