Gunboards Forums banner

J.Stevens 520

14K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Stan Richardson 
#1 ·
just buy a J.Stevens 520 in mint con.like to find out the year of it.shot the gun one time kiks like a horse but looks good.

#2 ·
RE Model 520

First a disclaimer. I'm replying here only because no one else has done it. Otherwise, I'm far from a shotgun expert. I have two of the Stevens models 520, one in 12 ga and the other in 20 ga with an integral polychoke. I recall getting some information that the model was introduced in the late nineteen thirties. I know that they were produced into WWII and there were U.S. military riot models made. I believe that if the model survived the war, it was not by much. The model 620 succeeded it with the more traditional curved pump receiver contour. I like the squared looks of the 520. Both my guns function reliably and exhibit the prewar build quality even though they were not expensive guns. My 12 ga bears the Montgomery Ward retailer name which also reflects something of the price point.
My take.

#10 ·
First a disclaimer. I'm replying here only because no one else has done it. Otherwise, I'm far from a shotgun expert. I have two of the Stevens models 520, one in 12 ga and the other in 20 ga with an integral polychoke. I recall getting some information that the model was introduced in the late nineteen thirties. I know that they were produced into WWII and there were U.S. military riot models made. I believe that if the model survived the war, it was not by much. The model 620 succeeded it with the more traditional curved pump receiver contour. I like the squared looks of the 520. Both my guns function reliably and exhibit the prewar build quality even though they were not expensive guns. My 12 ga bears the Montgomery Ward retailer name which also reflects something of the price point.
My take.
Hi Iskra (what's that stand for?)
I'm the not-so-proud owner of a Wards Western Field Model 60 model no. 5B620-A and it seems the serial number has been removed along with some rust. Any info (location of ser. no.) source of parts and manual) would be greatly appreciated.
Stan

#3 ·
stevens 520

the stevens 520 is a browning design . if you look on the barrel you'll see browning patent proof tested. the design came out in 1903-4 , and was built between 1905 and 1926-7. the next design was the 620 . depending on the guage the two are inchangeable when it comes to parts.

#5 ·
Technicalities, Techincalities!

Thanks for the additional information. I also had difficulty finding anything more than a few bits and pieces on the Model 520.
But there seems to be a large distinction in mine, which I call the later style, from what seems the original Browning design. The illustrations I have seen of comparable early twentieth century models, shows a distinct 'hump' in the top line of the receiver. My assumption is that this feature provides a tilt-up locking surface for the bolt. Yet the later models (if they are really the same design at all) are flat and the locking lug recess extends completely through the forward receiver top. Here, a pivoting locking lug secures the action in battery. This would seem to present an entirely different system than the one that I understood was the original Browning design. Might there have been two distinctly different Browning designs? If not, it was certainly a fundamental redesign and I wonder whether the Stevens firm employed this earlier design or it was only a Belgian product.

#6 ·
Stevens 520. Sold by all the old chain stores under various names. I just picked up a "Ranger" sold by Sears in 16 ga. circa 1911-12. It would doubble feed so I got it for $50.00.:) I cleaned and oiled it,bent the shell stop leaf spring out a little and bang,bang,bang!!!:D It has the doubble hump receiver top,safety in the trigger guard in front of the trigger and no markings other than "Ranger" on the receiver and the "Browning Pat." and "full" on the Barrel.
I good reference is TM9-285, you can get it free off the web, just google it. More dissasembly info is in the "Gun Digest dissasembly" book #5 I think at your local Library. Yep, the 'ol trusty library is still around.
The 520,520A,620,620A are JMB designed but they don't have a tipping,tilting breach. It has a sliding breach with a locking block that cams up into the square hole in the receiver. A slide moves under the sliding breach,operates,locks,& unlocks the sliding breach among other things.
I think the Rec. top was level for 12Ga? or late production guns. The safety also moved too. The 620 has the more modern look receiver but uses almost all the same internals.
No expert here, just alot of research on my "I think it's a Browning" shotgun.
PS. It's built like a freak'n tank!

#7 ·
Thanks!

Thanks sweath'nbullets for the detailed explanation. I was attracted many years ago to a 520 based on the great condition, inexpensive price and the fact that it looked different than the typical pump shotgun. Both mine were acquired quite inexpensively. As you suggested, one is a housebrand "Montgomery Wards" model. These 520 models are among the guns that I consider 'sleepers' - nice pieces still to be found at bargain prices.

#8 ·
Addendum

Some additional information and thoughts. Not really being a shotgun man, I had never tried to extensively research these Stevens shotguns. After replying yesterday I revisited my book "Savage & Stevens Arms, Collector's History 1864-2003", Fifth Edition, by Jay Kimmel. This book I confirmed my recollection that in this entire publication I could find no reference to the Model 520. However, in the current edition of Bruce Canfield's, "The Complete guide to United States Military Combat Shotguns", I found information which I have summarized and restated here: The Model 520 was introduced in 1904. An "improved" version designated as the Model 520-30 was subsequently introduced. It was discontinued in 1932. By the beginning of WWII, Stevens still had a stock of warehoused models 520 guns, parts and tooling to produce them. The War Department subsequently acquired these completed guns and Stevens initiated manufacture of some 35,000 additional guns for the war effort. I noted that author Canfield characterized the improvement only as being a relocation of the safety to the tang, omitting mention of the entirely different locking mechanism.
As I have reflected on these guns lately, several conclusions emerge. First, that there is a true information vacuum concerning this model to the point of analogy to a illegitimate child. Second, that in the scores of old gun ads that I have seen in over the years, I can't recall seeing anything on these guns. To say that they were an 'also ran' model seems a gross understatement!
Yet my two examples reflect a quality of workmanship and finish reflective of the better pre-WWII production guns. That was much of what attracted this rifleman to these scatterguns and why I continue to enjoy owning them.
My take.

#9 ·
Shhhh! I think it's the last true "sleeper" gun out there. Build quality is better than most guns of the time but for some reason they've been forgotten. Stevens did have a butt load of different models/variations so it's a PITA to get the right parts for your gun. Did run across a Sears add from '33 with them in it though. 17 bucks got you one new.
Most people drool over JMB designed anything so it's a mistery why this gun is all but forgotten. I guess we will never know.

#11 ·
Wow, Sorry About The Delay!

Hi Stan,
Sorry about the delayed response. I'm primarily a rifle fan. I don't often get to this board and was surprised to find anyone here asking me a shotgun question. I know a bit about my own shotgun models. But I don't have a clue about your stated model.
The name iskra is actually a Russian word and involves a too long story going back to when I worked with the Russian and Ukrainian governments under the Clinton Administration.
///
You need to post your question as a new thread where it is quite likely you will receive a response.
Hope this response still reaches you!
Good luck!

#12 ·
Hi Stan,
Sorry about the delayed response. I'm primarily a rifle fan. I don't often get to this board and was surprised to find anyone here asking me a shotgun question. I know a bit about my own shotgun models. But I don't have a clue about your stated model.
The name iskra is actually a Russian word and involves a too long story going back to when I worked with the Russian and Ukrainian governments under the Clinton Administration.
///
You need to post your question as a new thread where it is quite likely you will receive a response.
Hope this response still reaches you!
Good luck!
I too am interested in the year of manufacture for a Stevens 520. As i understand it, there are some observeable clues:

The older model had two steps on the rear of the reciever ( I think the second on is about half way up the reciever). There were three positions for the safetys in Chrono order: in front of the trigger, behind the trigger, and on the tang. If that's the case, I am thinking mine is likely a earlier one, but not terribly earliest model (stepped reciever and safety behind the trigger).

I am interested in two things as a shotgun newb (only experience is with military and PD 870s)...

1) I have had the double feed issue a couple of time and am interested in how you dealt with it.

2) as you load it, do the shells stay all the way in the tube or do they come out a little under the lifter? how far?

You can see pics of mine on the "my 80(ish) year old shotgun" thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.