Gunboards Forums banner

Hunting with the Mosin Nagant

4K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  craig24680 
#1 ·
Gents,

I am going hunting for the first time this year. I will be using one of my Mosin's. What do I need to do so the rifle is protected from the elements? I live in Kentucky so it probably will be raining when I am hunting. Do I need to coat the barrel/action/receiver with oil to protect from water damage? Also what about the wood. Would a synthetic stock just for the hunting trip be needed, or should the shellac protect it?

I will be using one of my M38's or maybe a 91/30, depends on which shoot the Brown Bear 203gr SP ammo the best :)

The synthetic stock I was looking at is: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/STKMOI01.aspx

I will not be adding a scope or changing the bolt handle. I am using iron sights.

Thanks,
Craig

#2 ·
If you're not talking about a super rare or desirable variation, then just go out and hunt. If the weather is bad, clean and oil it as soon as you get home. Enjoy and bring home a BIG one... My 02.. BeSwift

#3 ·
Big +1 to that.

I wouldn't waste money on a synthetic stock, either, but that's just me. If my wood stock were in excellent/mint condition and I wanted to avoid any scratches/flaking, then I guess I could see it.

Best of luck on your hunt,

John

#4 ·
I would go as is, and clean and oil upon returning. Main thing is, practice alot, and out to the distance you expect to shoot. Also do some shooting with the actual soft point hunting ammo you are going to use. You will be very dissapointed if you miss a big buck for lack of rifle comfort and familiarization. Also the MN safety is not to good for hunting situations, something to consider. Good luck!

#6 ·
You Might Try This

I've found this product to work well.

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderArmadillo.html

Then when you come back in out of the rain, pull the action out of the stock and wipe everything down with a dry rag and do your usual clean and oil routine. The idea of modernizing a milsurp with a composite stock seems to run contrary to your purpose - the challenge of using an unmodified 60 or 70 year old rifle with iron sights for hunting.

#7 ·
This is a military issued rifle from Russia. I can assure you the conditions in battle in Russia and other parts of eastern europe are much harsher than anything you will encounter. Just don't lay it down in the mud or water while you are out. It is a very rugged rifle. I would not go through the trouble or expense for the synthetic stock. As noted before clean and dry and oil well upon your return home.
My personal choice in hunting ammo is the Sellier and Bellot SP in 180 grain. It is an excellent round and is non corrosive and reloadable. I would suggest the M91/30 but that is just me. I find it a bit more stable at the range than the carbine (weight vs power ratio). But I am sure the M38 will do well also. I hunt with a 91/30 and am very pleased with it.
Happy hunting......bring us back some loins.

#8 ·
This is what my beat up old T-53 is for, I just clean it and oil it when I get home. I've droped it in the mudd, and had to fish it out of a creek once too still shoots great!

#9 ·
m44

I hunt with one here in Kentucky sometimes. No need to change the stock unless you just want to. Great caliber for white tail.

#12 ·
#10 ·
I hunted with a No.I Mk.III throughout my teens. Switching to the synthetic stock made a world of difference shooting and handling the rifle.

#11 ·
I guess I baby my guns too much :)

Thanks for the advice. Next Sunday I am taking the ladies to the range to determine which shoots best with the hunting ammo. For the time being, I will leave the rifle as is and not get the stock.

Thanks,
Craig

#13 ·
I just went hunting last weekend with my M-38. Only saw a family of 6 doe with one young spike, but I did end up having a doe jump out in front of us on the highway and ran over a mile straight down the yellow line at 20 MPH! I couldn't believe she kept going straight when she could have veered off the road at any time. My friend kept teasing me about being a "firewood carrier" but I had fun.

#14 ·
LOL, A good "wood toter" is hard to come by. In forty years of deer hunting I've seen deer do some crazy things. If someone tells you that a deer will do this or won't do that, they don't know deer. Another thing I have learned is, its not the deer you get, but the experince's and fellowship you have. That mean the most. :)

#15 ·
I wont carry on and clog this thread with picture or advice....lets say i have shot ALOT of Meats with the M-39 variant.

Just have to say, your Mosin nagant was made to shoot, and fine shooting will get you what your hunting.
As BSwift said, clean it when your done.

#17 ·
I got a doe like that a few years back, except i had my 12 gauge with 00 buck in it. I was stalking a pesky beaver and the damn thing came out of nowhere, scared the hell out of me.

#20 ·
I'm not sure if you handload, or perhaps you have a friend that does and can load for you. But, I have had really good results with Sierra .311 180 grain soft points, with any powder I have paired them with. Usually get groups that are .75-1.5 inches at 100 yards, through any of my 91/30s or M39s. This is much better than any of the commercial soft points that I've tried.

#24 ·
I have most of the the components to start reloading, however since the election, powder and primer are few and far between, so the start of reloading will be many months off, so I am stuck with commercial ammo.

Thanks for all the replies. I went to scout the land yesterday and found what we believe to be the perfect spot for me :) it's about 20 yards where 3 trails meet.

Thanks,
Craig

#21 ·
Here is whitetail 6 point that I got yesterday with a 1970 dated M-39 using the Winchester 180 grain SP. Where I hunt, 50 yards is a long shot. Iron sights are fine for me, you might consider getting a scout scope mount to replace the rear sight if you think you need too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.