Thread: Llama 22Lr 1911 style "little" pistol (W/New Pic)

Default Llama 22Lr 1911 style "little" pistol (W/New Pic)

Picked up a nice looking Llama 1911 style 22Lr pistol at the gun show yesterday. Looks 90% and didn't know much about it but bought it anyway for $160. At first I thought it was a toy gun because it was so small. Has vent rib on top with windage adjustable rear sight. Has no model indicated on pistol anywhere that I can find. Can anyone tell me anything about it and when it was made? Couple guys said it was junk. "One man's junk is another's treasure!" SN: A46XXX and was imported by Stoeger. Thanks

Last edited by LX Kid; 10-19-2009 at 10:50 AM.

I can't help with the date without knowing the date code on your pistol. These are neat pistols. I have one in .380 and it shoots/functions good. I'm not sure but think that the same frame was used for the .22, .32, and .380 versions of these.

From what I have been seeing at shows, $160 is a very good price. Congrats.

Here's a pic of the only codes that I can find. Last three looks to be " D*2 " Thanks

Last edited by LX Kid; 10-19-2009 at 12:37 PM.

D2 would be 1984

Thanks jimm2003! I also just found that at this link: http://9mmlargo.com/year_codes.htm Is this pistol a XV Airlight even though not marked as such? Thanks

Default Llama

Hello:

You can see the variants to your gun in

www.spanishpistols.com

It is the model fifteen (quince)

Greetings

Thanks Montelongo, that's a nice site for Spainish pistols. Now if I can find some cool grips to replace those ugly black plastic ones. Pearlite would be nice but really anything would look better. Thanks

I have a parts kit I bought off of gunbroker for 55.00$ a year ago...

three grips....black, brown , and pearl or whatever that is:

a threaded barrel, slide, lanyard ring screw, hammer, and a bunch of tiny parts, I can take photo if yer interested.

Not including the disconector which I bought the kit for..and the previous owner bought the kit for the main spring and housing.

I thought the model number was XVIII ....
    Last edited by bounce; 10-20-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Lately there have been small grips out there. Gunbroker has a company is Asia that sells Rosewood grips. I have bought several and they have been great! They look good also! There's another site that sells 1911 style small frame grips as well. Some pics of the grips below.

The Airlite has an alloy frame and is several ounces lighter than the all steel. They are clearly marked Airlite. The Especial is also clearly marked. The XV is a wonderful pistol and is very accurate but prefers the high velocity ammo over the regular or subsonic. Also, the RN seems to feed better than the HP but with a ramp polish and high velocity the HPs do work fine. Getting recoil springs is the biggest problem right now. They are nowhere to be found for the .22. If anyone has any or knows someone who does please let me know!!

I do sell and carry most Llama small frame parts on gunbroker. The frames are the same for the .22LR, .32ACP and .380ACP but the ejector and extractor are different for the .22LR making it hard to make a multi-pistol frame. I have made a wonderful pistol set with the .32ACP and .380ACP from the same frame and different slides. It is a joy to shoot! Right now finding the .380ACP is hard but the .32ACP seem to be out there so I shoot them. I've shot both at the range on the same day and it is really kewl. I love the Llama line no matter who disses them. It's their loss! The price was outstanding as the .22LRs go for ~$300 on gunbroker right now and higher on Auction Arms.

Last edited by larryh1108; 10-20-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    ~Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me~

If you shoot .32 ACP you need to jump on some of this:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/S...73grn_FMJ.html

This litle Llamas are very pleasure to carry, and also to shot.
    Just a question, did Llama IIIA, in 380 amd the Llama XV in 22 lr carry same grips, and/or same grip screws ???
    I have not a 22lr to chect it now at hand.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Grips & screws

The grips may have varied, I'm not sure.

But all the small-frame pistols seem to use the same grip screw, which are hard to find.
    But the Star grip screw as used on the .380s is the same thread and often the same length. The head is 1 mm larger. I just turn that 1 mm off in a small lathe, and cold-blue the cut edge, and they are perfect. On some guns I am sure you would also have to reduce the length so they don't drag on the magazine.

Picked up the .380 version of this at a show Saturday. Couldn't let it sit there at $139, even though the ammo is presently next to impossible to find and when found, priced over my budget. Hopefully that situation will improve with time.

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
    Picked up the .380 version of this at a show Saturday. Couldn't let it sit there at $139, even though the ammo is presently next to impossible to find and when found, priced over my budget. Hopefully that situation will improve with time.
    Man, at that price I'd have been on it like a duck on a june bug!

Nice find. Let's see a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex B View Post
    The grips may have varied, I'm not sure.

But all the small-frame pistols seem to use the same grip screw, which are hard to find.
    But the Star grip screw as used on the .380s is the same thread and often the same length. The head is 1 mm larger. I just turn that 1 mm off in a small lathe, and cold-blue the cut edge, and they are perfect. On some guns I am sure you would also have to reduce the length so they don't drag on the magazine.
    I have a nice stock in Llama IIIA grip screws, but I have no a Llama XV or other model in 22 lr, so I needed any user with both pistols comfirm screws are same for both pistols. Not rare as they use same frame...
    Last edited by Van loos; 10-26-2009 at 02:25 PM.

The small frames all use the same grip screws and all the grips interchange. I have swapped grips & screws with no problem. Like my photos above show, they can fit on any small frame.

I found my Llama .380 a few years ago at a gun show for only $125.00 because it had a broken left grip. The rest of the gun looks brand new. I did found a used set for only $5.00 at the same show. but I didn't like the thumb rest on them. I found a wood set on E-bay, I do not remember how much I paid for them but they were new. When they arrive I found out that the grip screws were too short. I try my Star BM grips screws to see if they would screw in the frame and I check the length. They did so I bought 4 new ones from E-bay. Once I received them I had to reduce the screw heads since they were to large for the grip holes. The length was OK. here is a picture of it.

This gun shoots great and it love hollow points. It will eat them up all day long. I would like to find another one in .22 lr someday.

Mid-age

My quest for a decent priced .22lr version continues. My micromax feeds Federal hydra shok w/o issues.

Looks just like my FI Ind Mod D .380 which was made by Garcia - still have the original papers but no box - bought around 1974 - understand it is a Colt design that Colt abandoned and licensed out.

Just love the gun - would love a .22 that was just like it...

Quote Originally Posted by mid-age View Post
    I found my Llama .380 a few years ago at a gun show for only $125.00 because it had a broken left grip. The rest of the gun looks brand new. I did found a used set for only $5.00 at the same show. but I didn't like the thumb rest on them. I found a wood set on E-bay, I do not remember how much I paid for them but they were new. When they arrive I found out that the grip screws were too short. I try my Star BM grips screws to see if they would screw in the frame and I check the length. They did so I bought 4 new ones from E-bay. Once I received them I had to reduce the screw heads since they were to large for the grip holes. The length was OK. here is a picture of it.

This gun shoots great and it love hollow points. It will eat them up all day long. I would like to find another one in .22 lr someday.

Mid-age

Default Found one!

I ran across one of those .22 versions online this morning for $159. I pounced on that. Been looking for a while
    Wood grips so probably around 1960.

FI Ind Mod D .380 which was made by Garcia, understand it is a Colt design that Colt abandoned and licensed out.
    I believe the FI is a copy (In steel frame) of the Star DK, which had an aluminum frame. Colt started to build them under license, but the design is pure Star.

Colt also bought Astra Cubs and had their own "Colt" brand put on them. I understand that after GCA 68 Colt made some from scratch, with a cast frame?

Default Not junk!

All i can tell you about your pistol is that its a 10rd. clip and should be very dependable, mine has always been. Fits nicely into my Levi's back pocket and eats without choking. Stingers make it sound like the 380 model, LOUD!

Default llama .380 grip swap

Llama .380 takes a 3.5mm thread grip screw. Grips are not always the same nor the screw holes in the same location. I have 2 .380s. I wanted to switch factory black plastic grips from one to the other. To my great surprise the grips would not interchange. The screw holes in the two pair of grips were slightly different and the holes would not line up between the grips and the frame. The grips were molded that way, not altered. Bummer!

Finally found some reasonable plastic pearl grips on eBad for my Model XV 22LR. Now it looks like "Bounce's" 380 without the lanyard ring. Still haven't found the time to go shoot it yet. Maybe try and get to the range in the next couple days and shoot it and my Star 9mm pistol.

If you need a lanyard ring I do have some for sale. Just shoot me a message! Larry

Default Grips exceptions

Quote Originally Posted by larryh1108 View Post
    The small frames all use the same grip screws and all the grips interchange. I have swapped grips & screws with no problem. Like my photos above show, they can fit on any small frame.
    For Llama small-frames made during the 1940s, there were two different lockworks, requiring two different grips. The 1911-type lockwork had a shorter grip, coming up to the plunger tube as on a Colt 1911. The 2nd style had no plunger tube, using a "W"-shaped spring instead. The grips on those came up to the bottom edge of the slide.
    Later models with the curved frontstrap all used the same grips.

Default Magazine issues with Llama XV 22lr

Just came home from the gun show with what was supposed to two mags for the little llama. They both fit in to about 1/2 inch from the top and stop. Because these mags are not made anymore and these are the first I have found, I think that if I shave a little off the top of the mag, it might fit. Anyone ever done this before?

Rico

Hi Rico,

I am confused. If the mag stops 1/2" from the top, why would you shave more off the top?
    Is the mag in all the way or is there some sticking out of the base? Maybe the mag catch is off and you need to trim there
    if the mag is the right length. Maybe it is a Star .22LR mag and just won't fit?

The feed lips are critical to feeding. If you cut at the top, you would have to form new lips.

here is mine -