Thread: Mauser-werke

Question Mauser-werke

3 years ago i came into possesion of my fathers rifle . It was originaly owned by my grandfather. Its a mauser-werke a.g.oberndorf a.n. Patrone 22 long rifle .serial no .50185 with 459. two crowns With the letters b and u under them this is also on bolt. It also has a 5 shell magazine. Just wondering how old it is . Its in good working order.
    Last edited by CALVEY; 10-20-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Calve try to post a pic, the data you gave fits a few prewar .22 Mausers-As to when it was manufactured the time frame goes from mid 20's to early 40's=If for some reason you cant post a pic answer this: is the magazine situated right after the triggerguard or is it some 10/15 centimeters from the triggerguard?

Forgot to say, your rifle was definitely made before 1940-That is what the crowns an letters say=

Posted some photos in c-albums thanks calvey

Your gun is a Mauser MS 410B, standard version,manufactured from 1934 until well into WWII,there was a luxury model with a schnabel end stock, but the mechanics were the same-An excellent gun, the picture is blurred so the conservation of the gun cant be evaluated, if in very good condition it would reach at least US$ 1000 in the US market, in Argentina for instance this
    gun could be easily sold at 1500 US$, I've got both the luxury and your model.
    The standard is the one on the first pic, the luxury nodel in the first rifle starting from the right side

After looking up Jon Speed's book "Mauser Smallbores", I think your rifle is a very early Mm 410 B sporter. Jon lists # 50225 and writes that these early ones with a 5-digit serial number were apparently all exported to England about 1935. The Mm410B is one of the rarest of the prewar Mauser .22 rifle models, and most of them encountered are in the 200 000 serial number range. The early ones all had a round, checked pistol grip and an uncheckered foreend with a less pronounced "Schnabel", the shape shown by Raul was a later improvement, only about 10% of the Mm410B's known show this improved stock shape wit capped pistol grip and checkered foreend. "459" is not a serial, but the correct gauge number, lead balls to the pound, for a .22 according to the 1895 proof tables. Though these gauge numbers went out of general use on rifles in 1912, for reasons unknown Mauser continued to stamp it on all it's .22 barrels up to 1945.
    Last edited by kuduae; 10-21-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Kuduae is right, it was my mistake, the piece is an Mm 410 B=

Hi - As you seem to know a lot about the sporting .22 Mausers can you help me please? I have just acquired what I think is a 1930s Mauser .22 ES340B or maybe a MS420. The others I have seen on the Internet are on collectors websites but they have metal sights and are chambered in .22 LR.

My rifle appears to be chambered in Short and not Long Rifle.

I have cleaned the chamber and it is not fouled so it appears to have been made that way. It has a non original Nikko Sterling telescopic sight fitted and it does not appear to have been fitted with metal sights originally. I guess it was screw cut for a moderator in the UK some time ago.

Can anyone help me by telling me more about this rifle? The serial number is 113XXX and the marking on the receiver is MAUSER-WERKE AG OBERNDORF. I hope the 3 photos below will help.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyd View Post
    Hi - As you seem to know a lot about the sporting .22 Mausers can you help me please? I have just acquired what I think is a 1930s Mauser .22 ES340B or maybe a MS420. The others I have seen on the Internet are on collectors websites but they have metal sights and are chambered in .22 LR.

My rifle appears to be chambered in Short and not Long Rifle.

I have cleaned the chamber and it is not fouled so it appears to have been made that way. It has a non original Nikko Sterling telescopic sight fitted and it does not appear to have been fitted with metal sights originally. I guess it was screw cut for a moderator in the UK some time ago.

Can anyone help me by telling me more about this rifle? The serial number is 113XXX and the marking on the receiver is MAUSER-WERKE AG OBERNDORF. I hope the 3 photos below will help.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Sir - the letters Ms stand for Mehrschuess - multiple shot - and Es for Einzelschuess - single shot. This rifle appears to have a five-round magazine in front of the trigger guard - this is a Ms.

From the serial number and with the help of Jon speeds book, it seems to be a post 1930's-made Ms420 target/sporter with the sights removed. This removal, along with the screw-cut barrel, has seriously reduced the sales value of this comparatively rare rifle, should you ever want to sell it to a collector. The sights would certainly have been fitted to this rifle originally - the screw-cutting may have been done along with a reblue to give it its present appearance although te location of the rear sight can clearly be seen in your first image. Please measure the aol of the barrel - it should be 650mm/25.75". You should also be able to find the metal composition code on the barrel - Ch.22 or Ch.23 - this will also help us to date it. The stock was originally a deep gloss finish, BTW.

I have not seen any .22 Mauser rifle of that period that was made just for the .22 Short cartridge, BTW, but I'm prepared to be educated on this point. You can help us by giving us details of ALL the markings on this gun - you should be able to find .22lfb if it is actually .22LR - or .22Kurz for .22 short, as well as the more usual BUG marks and others such as DRGM. You might even find [Not English make] and the usual British proof-marks - especially as it has been modified by screw-cutting.

tac
    I am an international Gunboards patron

Hi tac - thanks very much for your help. I now think it may have been re-barreled.

The barrel is exactly 650mm long from the tip back to the front of the chamber (I am not sure if that is where I should measure it). It is 635mm from the tip of the barrel to the point where the barrel joins the receiver. The top of the receiver is grooved and that is ewhere the sights are mounted (I don't see anything cut into the barrel or repaired where barrel mounted sights would have been originally).

As requested here are details of all the markings I can find:

The left hand side of the receiver is marked as follows:

Reading from left to right there are the letters B and G and these are both stamped sideways on with two very small unreadable symbols above each letter.

To the right of the letters B and G there is a letter U which is also stamped sideways on with a symbol over the top of it.

Next comes the serial number 113XXX followed by MAUSER-WERKE A.-G. OBERNDORF AN (the A is small and the N is large).

On the right hand side of the receiver at the front there is a very small symbol which might be a small crown.
    On the right hand (bolt side) of the barrel it is stamped .22” .408” with the letters LP underlined and the number 85 immediately underneath. Some more information is stamped in this area on the barrel, but it is partially covered by the wood and looks like 6.? TONS with some more symbols or letters I can’t read. These stamps on the right side of the barrel are exactly in line with the stamps on the right hand side front of the receiver. I can't see anything at all on the top or left hand side of the barrel.

I guess if this is a replacement barrel the value of this rifle is now not very high, so maybe I could get a gunsmith to ream it out to a 22 LR if the barrel is non-original. Any thoughts on that or should I keep it as a 22 short?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garyd View Post
    Hi tac - thanks very much for your help. I now think it may have been re-barreled.

The barrel is exactly 650mm long from the tip back to the front of the chamber (I am not sure if that is where I should measure it). It is 635mm from the tip of the barrel to the point where the barrel joins the receiver. The top of the receiver is grooved and that is ewhere the sights are mounted (I don't see anything cut into the barrel or repaired where barrel mounted sights would have been originally).

As requested here are details of all the markings I can find:

The left hand side of the receiver is marked as follows:

Reading from left to right there are the letters B and G and these are both stamped sideways on with two very small unreadable symbols above each letter.

To the right of the letters B and G there is a letter U which is also stamped sideways on with a symbol over the top of it.

Next comes the serial number 113XXX followed by MAUSER-WERKE A.-G. OBERNDORF AN (the A is small and the N is large).

On the right hand side of the receiver at the front there is a very small symbol which might be a small crown.
    On the right hand (bolt side) of the barrel it is stamped .22” .408” with the letters LP underlined and the number 85 immediately underneath. Some more information is stamped in this area on the barrel, but it is partially covered by the wood and looks like 6.? TONS with some more symbols or letters I can’t read. These stamps on the right side of the barrel are exactly in line with the stamps on the right hand side front of the receiver. I can't see anything at all on the top or left hand side of the barrel.

I guess if this is a replacement barrel the value of this rifle is now not very high, so maybe I could get a gunsmith to ream it out to a 22 LR if the barrel is non-original. Any thoughts on that or should I keep it as a 22 short?

Gary
    Sir - your rifle HAS been rebarelled, and proofed in London - the LP means just that. 85 is the year date that it was carried out. The calibre IS now .22 short - the
    .408" is the length of the breeching for a .22 short cartridge case. all the other marks - BUG as we call them, are commensurate with the German proof marks prior to 1941 or so. The symbol you can't decipher is a small crown. OBERNDORF-a-N stands for Oberndorf-am-Neckar, the home of the Mauser factory for the last 140 years or so on the banks of the river Neckar. Mauser-Werke AG means The Mauser Factory Company [AktienGesellschaft].

Since all the damage has been done you might consider getting a gunsmith to open out the chamber to .22 LR - it would not entail much cost, but the gun WOULD have to be re-proofed in accordance with the UK proof laws. Figure on around £150 or so.

As these rifles show astonishing accuracy - even when old - so that would be MY next step. My Es350b from 1937 easily shoots ten rounds into a 1/4" at 50m with its x2.5 Ajack scope.

PLEASE get a better scope, too. Try and find a more suitable match in terms of age - a x3 or x4 Ajack would look much better and be far more in keeping with the gun that the item that is on it now.

My $0.02.

tac

Tac, your advise for an Ajack scope to our newcomer friend has not included the warning that its price , plus the mounts will be high, several hundred dollars and not easy to get.
    below pics of my MS420 with the original peep sight and handle =

Dear Raul - As you know, I have five Ajack scopes - all of the same style but with different reticles - and never paid more than £50 for any of them. As the OP is in the UK, I might be pursuaded to let him have one of mine for a decent price!

Best

tac

Dear Tac, normally a Ebay for example, the Ajack scopes go for no less than US$ 250/300 , you have to add the mounts with lateral correction that are expensive; what I did not know was the fact that in the UK the Ajack scopes go for 50 GBP, do you know of a gunshop in the UK that sells used scopes and has a site on the Internet??, I'd like to take a peek-Best, Raśl

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley2 View Post
    Dear Raul - As you know, I have five Ajack scopes - all of the same style but with different reticles - and never paid more than £50 for any of them. As the OP is in the UK, I might be pursuaded to let him have one of mine for a decent price!

Best

tac
    Hi tac - thanks again for all that excellent information and also thanks to Raul. I would certainly be interested in one of your scopes so please feel free to get in touch with me via email about that. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Gary

Hi Raul - very nice rifle - I wish mine was totally original like that! Gary

Default Ajack scope for my Mod MS420b # 120***

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley2 View Post

Best

tac
    Hello tacfoley. I am looking for a scope for my 100% original 420. It had a high-mounted Weaver C4 (15mm ??) which is damaged.

Can you please help? I have posted to Raul and one other on this site. Many thanks. Barry (250km from Cape Town) [email protected]

Hi Raul, My ms420b is identical # 120*** but without the peep-sights and handle. I need a scope for it, and possibly also high mounts Cheers.

Sorry guys, much as I'd like to help - all my Ajack scopes are now on guns...

@Raul - I just got lucky a number of times here in yUK - a rare occurrence, I might add in this rip-off burg. They all came together as a job lot of unwanted optics from a delaer who just needed some space. Like I noted on another thread - the proper scope and mounts here in UK appears so seldom that I only recall one from Oigee + mounts on e*** about four years ago - the guy was firm at $900.

I don't know any dealer in older scopes here who has any interest in 'smaller' optics like these.

tac

Gents,

I am trying to find out specifics on a Mauser .22 LR that belongs to a friend of mine. The rifle is missing the magazine, but is otherwise in excellent shape. I'm including photos. if someone could help me out with the model, age and where I might be able to get a magazine for it, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	812541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	812542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	812543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	812544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	812545

these mags work for most of the Mausers including my MS 420 which was also missing the mag. http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/962/

Quote Originally Posted by zacker View Post
    these mags work for most of the Mausers including my MS 420 which was also missing the mag. http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/962/
    Thanks for the link Zacker. I would however like to find an original if possible. Any ideas on whether or not they're available?

Zacker,the TripleK site does not show the Mauser mag in detail.BUT...the rifle they show is the Mauser that has the mag well away from the tiggerguard and, ubfortunately, it is NOT the type that Foresight's Mauser carries, his gun has the mag well near the triggerguard and the magazine whose body is straight, once inserted shows a "slant"base, IMO the magazines TripleK offers is the one the Mm410 and the MAS45 carry, wich has a curved body

@ Raul, thanks for info, here pic of that mag fits my MS 420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	812708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1244.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	812709
    the one in the add.

I see what you mean, the drawing must be incorrect, I ordered this mag from that same add, same part#, here is pic of itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1245.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	356.7 KB 
ID:	812710 in gun.
    Last edited by zacker; 09-08-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Zacker, thks for the reply, unfortunately I did not know the TripleK offer and ,after a long search, I bought the original mag, for which I paid a small fortune.

Raul, no problem, Triple k needs to change their pic, I cant tell by his pics but do you think foresight's gun is a MS 420 Mauser? more pics would help, the Mauser logo, top of rear sight, front sight too.
    Last edited by zacker; 09-09-2014 at 10:22 AM.

@ Foresight, probably ebay or gunbroker would be the best bet to look for a original mag, but as raul stated your going to pay big for them.