Thread: 8mm FN 49 but a NOT a Egyptian crest????

Default 8mm FN 49 but a NOT a Egyptian crest????

I picked this up at a gun show this weekend, it is imported by Century ( old ST ALB import mark on the under side of the barrel and marked 7.92) the rear sights are in english numbers, the receiver is serial numbered in a different spot ( NOT by Century) and it has a very weird crest cant find the crest in any of my mauser books. The stock is not one of the " new century stocks" is actuall military stock with the trap door butt plate, and does not have the Egypt brass disk on the butt stock.

can some body help me with the origins of this rifle????

I wonder if it is pre 1953 Egyptian FN49.

Your rifle was not imported by Century - it was assembled by Century. Around 1955, long after completion of the FN-49 production contract, Egypt purchased from FN at least 1,500 spare receivers. Since this was after the abdication of King Farouk, the crown crest was not used and instead the receivers were marked with the Eagle of Saladin crest. Century purchased these spare receivers as part of the deal with Egypt for the remaining rifles and spare parts. Century then used the receivers to assemble functioning rifles using a combination of Egyptian contract spare parts and Belgian contract spares.

In the case of your rifle, you most likely have a stock that was originally installed on a Belgian contract .30-06 rifle. If you look at the inletting for the trigger guard, you will probably see a little gap in the wood on each side of the tg assembly. Having western numerals on your rear sight leaf indicates that either the leaf itself, or the entire receiver cover, was also from a Belgian contract rifle.

So, you don't have an original Egyptian contract rifle, but rather an approximation of one as assembled by Century. On the other hand, since there were only about 1,500 of these receivers made, they are relatively rare and I always recommend that an advanced FN-49 collector include an "Eagle" in their collection.

Goose
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com

Goose you nailed it.

I figured the stock was a 30-06 stock but didn't mention the gap in hopes some one would bring it up and let me know they realy knew what what up.

Thank you for the info, it truely was help full.

Check this old post for more info.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...hlight=saladin
    I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.

Those following Jimmy's link need to be aware that the photos of his Eagle rifle are NOT representative of the rifle as it was sold by Century. Jimmy found a really nice Belgian contract stock and installed it himself. The Belgian contract stocks installed by Century on about half of the Eagles were in much poorer condition that Jimmy's handsome example. Prior to installing the Belgian contract stock - didn't your Eagle have the reproduction beechwood stock Jimmy ?

Goose
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com

Quote Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
    Those following Jimmy's link need to be aware that the photos of his Eagle rifle are NOT representative of the rifle as it was sold by Century. Jimmy found a really nice Belgian contract stock and installed it himself. The Belgian contract stocks installed by Century on about half of the Eagles were in much poorer condition that Jimmy's handsome example. Prior to installing the Belgian contract stock - didn't your Eagle have the reproduction beechwood stock Jimmy ?

Goose
    Yup, it had the crappy beech stock. I have a few of the ex-Belgian stocks, so I put this rifle in one of the nicer ones.

While we are talking about FN49s and the gathered appear to have a lot of expertise I have a question about a FN I saw some years ago. I wish I could remember all the details But I saw what appeared to be an all GI Fn49 but it had no creat on it at all I don't believe. It was reportedly in 8mm mauser and appeared to be all military and not one of the Century built guns. For some reason I want to say that Browning Arms had something to do with this rifle as it's importer but I don't remember their being an import stamp or marking and maybe the owner told me that and that they only brought in 24 or so in the early 60s that had been sitting at FN part of over production or a lot of demonstrators for foreign buyers. The price was a mind blowing 275.00 but I was affraid to buy it as the century "new made" versions were common and it seemed a bit off. In any case the thing looked like a military grade FN49 and not the Century built rifles but I would almost swear it had no crest or if it did it was small. Sorry for the lack of detail and fuzzy memory but it was a five minute incident 17 or 18 years ago at a gun show.

Here is Century Arms FN49 1988 Ad.....read the "fine print"....says "Royal Egyptian Crest"

I bought 4 of the French MAS 44's...... should have bought a few G43's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Here is Century Arms FN49 1988 Ad.....read the "fine print"....says "Royal Egyptian Crest"
    Yes - they're referring to the Crown crest as applied to the 37,600 Egyptian contract production rifles. They are not referring to the Eagle of Saladin crest that has been illustrated in this thread.

Goose
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com

Quote Originally Posted by catsnguns View Post
    While we are talking about FN49s and the gathered appear to have a lot of expertise I have a question about a FN I saw some years ago. I wish I could remember all the details But I saw what appeared to be an all GI Fn49 but it had no creat on it at all I don't believe. It was reportedly in 8mm mauser and appeared to be all military and not one of the Century built guns. For some reason I want to say that Browning Arms had something to do with this rifle as it's importer but I don't remember their being an import stamp or marking and maybe the owner told me that and that they only brought in 24 or so in the early 60s that had been sitting at FN part of over production or a lot of demonstrators for foreign buyers. The price was a mind blowing 275.00 but I was affraid to buy it as the century "new made" versions were common and it seemed a bit off. In any case the thing looked like a military grade FN49 and not the Century built rifles but I would almost swear it had no crest or if it did it was small. Sorry for the lack of detail and fuzzy memory but it was a five minute incident 17 or 18 years ago at a gun show.
    The only FN49s observed with no crests (not counting the super-rare 100 Luxembourg gendarmerie contract rifles - none of which are known to have been sold as surplus) are Belgian contract rifles chambered in .30-06. The crests on these rifles were ground off and the ground area repainted - this was done to a significant quantity of the rifles and may have been a short-lived requirement for surplus sale by Belgium. Some of these were quite well done and under casual observation it appeared that there never was a crest. However, the serial numbers of these rifles, along with the presence of Belgian military acceptance stampings inside the receiver, firmly identify them as Belgian contract rifles.

No rifles chambered in 7.9 Mauser have been observed without a crest except for one rifle that was obviously ground and crudely restamped with some star symbols (probably in someone's garage in the USA!).

No evidence has ever been found that Browning ever imported any of these rifles for commercial sale. The Browning company historian, as of 2004, also was unable to find any evidence of Browning import activity. FN records only show one rifle shipped to the United States (to a private purchaser in Georgia).

Goose
    Last edited by Goose52; 10-28-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com

Goose 52, Thanks for the info. I have always wondered exactly what the rifle was and I am not sure the seller really new. In hind sight irregardless of origin I wish I had bough the silly thing. About 10 years ago I turned down a NRA excellent .30-06 FN49 for 500.00 from a guy who drove for a airfreight company out of Memphis. Today I would not make such a silly mistake. Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by catsnguns View Post
    Goose 52, Thanks for the info. I have always wondered exactly what the rifle was and I am not sure the seller really knew...
    About 25 years ago, I was in the same boat. You could walk a gun show, looking at FN-49s, and not really know what was correct, what variation was rare, what was altered, whether to believe the seller's "story", etc. There was no reference book that contained that type of information. About 20 years after that, with about 2,500 hours of research and writing under my belt, I finally finished my book that has that kind of info. So, buyers now at least can "read-up" and know whether to believe the gun show stories. The Eagle-crested rifle under discussion in this thread was once described by a gun show seller as a rare variant only used by the palace guards ... :D:D

Goose
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com

Hi All,
    I see an Eagle crested FN49 on Gunbroker with bids up to $1000. Am I missing something on the value of a parts gun as opposed to a factory assambled, military issued firearm? Should I be appling for a signature loan?

$1000 is too much for that rifle .... $700 or so would be more reasonable. BUT, prices on these rifles are getting crazy - like the 2k price that a mismatched Lux rifle got the other day !

Goose
    Read a good book lately?
    www.fn49.com

As with all old threads, they never die - they just become highly useful to a new guy some time later! Thanks for this thread guys!!!

I just picked up an eagle marked FN49 that is obviously one of the CAI assembled parts guns with the reproduction beech stock. It's just lovely, like new (bore as well), and I'm really enjoying learning a bit about it. I got it for $500 local in Tucson and I think that in 2011 that's a pretty good price.

I'll post a pic if anyone is interested and thanks again for the great info in this thread.

Best,
    Oly

Oly,
    I paid $300 for mine when they first came onto the market years ago so you're in the ballpark. Like Jimmy C. I restocked mine in a Belgian .30-06 stock when the plastic buttplate shattered and I couldn't find a suitable replacement. A fun shooting gun, mine loves Port. 8mm.
    The problem with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat!

Back from the dead... SAFN's rule!!!!