Default what 7.62x39 ammo is this?

it has a "3" over a "94" headstamp.

Lets hear some guesses. I have an ammo experts opinion on what it is already, but lets see if you agree

The bullets look like someone drilled holes in them. The ammo was wolf.
    1 EYE

Quote Originally Posted by 1 EYE View Post
    The bullets look like someone drilled holes in them. The ammo was wolf.
    It could be wolf. Their "hollow point" has a tiny bit scooped out of the tip. It is no after-market drilling. I have no idea why. But i see them for sale on occasion.

Someone postulated it is to get around the laws forbidding fmj's for hunting without introducing the cost or performance of actually making hollowpoints. I have also heard others say that these rounds tend to fragment when used against thin skinned prey, making them good for coyotes or the like.

However... the primers don't look the right color. They're grey. Most wolf i see are gold primers and/or have sealant. Where did you get this ammo, how old, etc? Some of the early wolf used old corrosive primers lying around.
    Last edited by Comrade Antibiotika; 11-24-2007 at 01:50 AM.

Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

That there's some of the first Russian commercial x39 imported into the U.S. before it got branded. 3 is Ulyanovsk.
    Used to come in 700rd cans (I think) with cyrillic writing. Very cool.

And guess what... the grey primer indicates CORROSIVE.

Yup, exactly what Eli said. This was the first stuff that used to come in from Russia. Pre'Wolf boxes, etc. Used to come in a white box, some was factory 3 and others were factory 711. Remember they came in wooden crate, Soviet style w/ 1440 rounds in it. It would have 12 battle packs of thick waxed paper wrapped around the six boxes. Some of it believe it or not was steel cored with a little hole drilled in tip, to make it Sporting ammunition!

I bought loads of this early Russian ammo back in the early nineties. Good stuff and most was hollow point if I remember right. When I did buy tins they were 600 rounds. I still have some and it's also headstamped 3 94 and non-corrosive, but, my primers are gold colored. I'd treat your ammo as corrosive until tested otherwise.
    Last edited by Gewehr455; 11-24-2007 at 09:13 AM.

[QUOTE=bch7773;96832]it has a "3" over a "94" headstamp.

Lets hear some guesses. I have an ammo experts opinion on what it is already, but lets see if you agree

QUOTE]

I agree with Eli.....early CORROSIVE Russian Hollow point...

What did your Ammo "Expert" say????????????

damn i can't stump you guys.

yes its early russian commercial stuff. My ammo expert said it MAY reclaimed military FMJ ammo, with bullets pulled and replaced with 8HP bullets. He also said it MAY be corrosive. I'm planning on cleaning for it anyways.

Man, you guys all missed the obvious! Look at the primers on this ammo. Not the color, the size. These primers are smaller than the standard one used in 7.62x39mm. Why? Because they are from the 5.45 cartridge. When Ulyanovsk started making this ammo for the US market, They had not made 7.62x39mm for quite a few years. They were making 5.45 instead and most likely were only tooled up to make 5.45 sized primers. In Russia, the grey colored primer is a weatherproofing measure, not an indicator of the type of primer mix. Although, the grey primers *might* be corrosive, not all of them are. My lot of "3 94" 7.62x39mm HP was non-corrosive, even though they had the small, grey primers.

Not likely to be reclaimed military cases since Uly was not making this caliber at the time...

D.D.

Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

Interesting input D.D.
    In my experience the gray primers in the 3 94 ammo was corrosive. I have never tried - or seen - gray primer 3 from subsequent years, so I can't speak for those.

Primers sure look "standard size" to me ie...5.5mm/.217" Berdan. I can't see the russians changing up the tooling to make a new size primer pocket in the 7.62x39mm case just because they had a special primer for the AK 74rd.

Don,t think they stopped production on 7.62x39mm and mothballed the tooling ever....plenty of export business for Combloc rebels everywhere.

They are smaller. These were made in '93 and '94. No headstamps from "3" (Ulyanovsk) exist in 7.62x39mm between 1979 and 1992. If they were making it for export, some, even one year, would have turned up in that year range.
    They stopped making 7.62x39mm in 1978 to produce 5.45x39mm and only restarted again in 1993 for the US market. Both "3 93" and "3 94" exist with the small grey primers and the standard size brass primers. The same thing happened with Factory "17" (Barnaul), Factory "60" (Frunze) and Factory "270" (Lugansk). They all stopped making 7.62x39mm in 1976-1978 to make 5.45. Only Tula (539) and Klimovsk (711) never stopped making 7.62. The new factory known as "Vympel" and using the code "7" was set up in the early 1980's to make 5.45 exclusively and only started making 7.62x39mm a few years ago. These are marketed as "Golden Tiger".

D.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
    They are smaller. These were made in '93 and '94. No headstamps from "3" (Ulyanovsk) exist in 7.62x39mm between 1979 and 1992. If they were making it for export, some, even one year, would have turned up in that year range.
    They stopped making 7.62x39mm in 1978 to produce 5.45x39mm and only restarted again in 1993 for the US market. Both "3 93" and "3 94" exist with the small grey primers and the standard size brass primers. The same thing happened with Factory "17" (Barnaul), Factory "60" (Frunze) and Factory "270" (Lugansk). They all stopped making 7.62x39mm in 1976-1978 to make 5.45. Only Tula (539) and Klimovsk (711) never stopped making 7.62. The new factory known as "Vympel" and using the code "7" was set up in the early 1980's to make 5.45 exclusively and only started making 7.62x39mm a few years ago. These are marketed as "Golden Tiger".

D.D.
    Roger that...damn Ruskies...so confusing