Default how to buy through ffl

sorry if I missed a thread on this, but how do you buy from someone else through an ffl?
    if you must affix bayonets, please have the forethought to train on how to use it. if you must affix anything else (barring properly engineered accessories), don't shoot near me. 1939 tula M91/30, 1952 tula SKS. Mosin Nagant M91-30 with bayonet affixed, over 5 feet and 8.75 pounds of shut the hell up.

I had to learn this the hard way myself so I'll do my best to help.

If you need to receive the firearm through an FFL holder you will need to have them fax or mail their FFL to the person selling the gun in order for them to be able to legitimately ship a firearm to them.

Most places won't charge over 25 dollars to handle the firearm and do a background check before handing it over to you.

I'm finally getting my C&R to avoid this hassle.. which in all likely hood will be a couple months of waiting. I recommend everyone to do the same.

how do I find a local legitimate ffl holder?
    if you must affix bayonets, please have the forethought to train on how to use it. if you must affix anything else (barring properly engineered accessories), don't shoot near me. 1939 tula M91/30, 1952 tula SKS. Mosin Nagant M91-30 with bayonet affixed, over 5 feet and 8.75 pounds of shut the hell up.

Call any firearm dealer in town. They all hold an FFL but not all will do the transfer for you.

thank you, hopefully I will be able to find something.

Your state rifle association should be able to find local 01 FFL dealers who are willing to help you. Shotgun News also has such a list.

I have an 01 FFL dealer near me who will will handle the transfer for a small paperwork fee. I handle the actual transaction with the seller, and then my 01 FFL dealer sends a copy of his license, and shipping address. Once the item arrives at the 01 FFL dealer, I go in, fill out the Form 4473, pay my transfer fee, and once the Form 4473 is approved, walk out with my new purchase.

Although I haven't pressed it with my FFL( I also have a C&R, my impression is that many Dealers are hesitant to send a copy of their license to a "person". ----Who is J Smith??

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Although I haven't pressed it with my FFL( I also have a C&R, my impression is that many Dealers are hesitant to send a copy of their license to a "person". ----Who is J Smith??
    My FFL dealer has no problem with sending a copy of his license a "person". As he says, what are they going to do with it anyway? Good question. Guess it depends on how paranoid the dealer is.

To the OP, check around with various dealers, as their prices can vary greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Makist View Post
    My FFL dealer has no problem with sending a copy of his license a "person". As he says, what are they going to do with it anyway? Good question. Guess it depends on how paranoid the dealer is.

To the OP, check around with various dealers, as their prices can vary greatly.

IMHO in this day and time a dealer DOES NOT have to be paranoid over where his FFL is going. Guess you never heard of a "washed" check to the local utulity, stolen from mailbox , altered and cashed for a $700 TV at Walmart. Good friend just experienced this , and I know of at least one dealer who had a problem with his FFL.

Now that gunbroker is up, they have a feature that allows you to search for an FFL that will do a transfer by zip code. Here's the link;
    http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

It's really easy, but $25 seems to be the minimum transfer fee unless you know someone.
    Fine Print:
    The preceeding opinion should be considered only as an opinion and not legal advice. In no event will the poster, Unbekannt, be held liable to any party for any damages arising in any way out of the availability, use, reliance on or inability to use poster's opinion or any information provided by or through the poster, or for any claim attributable to errors, omissions or other inaccuracies in, or destructive properties of any information provided by or through the poster.

I've had my FFL for several years now. I don't charge my repeat customers for any transfer - unless you call a beer now and then payment.....

thanks, that site is a great source for local ffls.

Gun Broker and Auction Arms provide a list of FFL holders in your area that are willing to handle a transfer. Fees range from $10.00 to $50.00 so shop around.
    Seller simply ships to the FFL and you go to them to complete the transfer. It is not difficult but can become expensive if you are not careful.
    Getting a C&R can be a good idea if you want to buy frequently or don't have a good source of local sellers. But that does allow the feds to know more about your business.

I listed a Norinco 213 on GB some time last year. The winning bidder was in AZ and his FFL refused to accept a gun from a non-licensee. Ok, no problem, I offered to get my local FFL to handle the transfer. His fee is $20. But the buyer refused to add $20 to the total, and expected me to eat the $20 loss so he could still get the gun. I was accused of trying to line my pocket over the increased "shipping cost". He refused the deal. So I relisted the gun and filed a non-paying bidder report with GB. He got TO'ed over that and accused me of violating GB rules by selling without an FFL. I checked the rules on GB and found I wasnt in the wrong with them and emailed the link to GB rules to the bidder. He then accused me of violating the ATF rules and told me I was going to get 10 years for it. I checked the rules under the "frequently asked questions" on the ATF site and found I wasnt in the wrong there either. And I emailed that link to the bidder also. Some people dont bother to do this sort of research themselves. Instead they simply spout off whatever nonsense they hear from their FFL.

Since then I found it pays to put a statement in the auction listing to the effect of "I am not a C&R holder so be sure your FFL will accept this rifle". For the record, I dont auction guns on a regular basis.

Lightbulb

See http://www.empirearms.com/transfer.htm for simplified instructions.
    Dennis Kroh, ex-sponsor
    Gunboards Collector's forum
    (yes, we are still in business)

IMHO in this day and time a dealer DOES NOT have to be paranoid over where his FFL is going. Guess you never heard of a "washed" check to the local utulity, stolen from mailbox , altered and cashed for a $700 TV at Walmart. Good friend just experienced this , and I know of at least one dealer who had a problem with his FFL.
    My bad, I thought that BATFE had a web site where the FFL address could be verified. Thank god bad guys don't have access to Photoshop or every dealer whose license is on his wall by law could become victim to whatever fraud.

My bad, I thought that BATFE had a web site where the FFL address could be verified. Thank god bad guys don't have access to Photoshop or every dealer whose license is on his wall by law could become victim to whatever fraud.

Don't know about your weaons collection, but hope it's better than your sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder196 View Post
    I listed a Norinco 213 on GB some time last year. The winning bidder was in AZ and his FFL refused to accept a gun from a non-licensee. Ok, no problem, I offered to get my local FFL to handle the transfer. His fee is $20. But the buyer refused to add $20 to the total, and expected me to eat the $20 loss so he could still get the gun. I was accused of trying to line my pocket over the increased "shipping cost". He refused the deal. So I relisted the gun and filed a non-paying bidder report with GB. He got TO'ed over that and accused me of violating GB rules by selling without an FFL. I checked the rules on GB and found I wasnt in the wrong with them and emailed the link to GB rules to the bidder. He then accused me of violating the ATF rules and told me I was going to get 10 years for it. I checked the rules under the "frequently asked questions" on the ATF site and found I wasnt in the wrong there either. And I emailed that link to the bidder also. Some people dont bother to do this sort of research themselves. Instead they simply spout off whatever nonsense they hear from their FFL.

Since then I found it pays to put a statement in the auction listing to the effect of "I am not a C&R holder so be sure your FFL will accept this rifle". For the record, I dont auction guns on a regular basis.

people need to get real and realize that there are fees for everything in this country. I live in an area where $25 is common for a transfer fee, not too bad, but I realized almost as soon as I joined this forum that if I bought online or from an individual, I would need to pay a transfer fee and find an ffl. between gun broker (great way to find an ffl) and empire arms (great how to) I think anyone can painlessly transfer arms to one another.

Don't know about your weaons collection, but hope it's better than your sarcasm.
    Well, what is the perceived danger to sending out a copy of your FFL? I am honestly ignorant, help me out.

Well, what is the perceived danger to sending out a copy of your FFL? I am honestly ignorant, help me out.

My attempt was to point out that some dealers I know will only send a copy of their license to a verifiable dealer , per ATF list. Then there can be a paper trail. not sent to whomever for whatever. I pointed out a case of a friend whose check was "washed" and All entries were changed. Big time trouble for his credit allotments etc.No reason why a dealer's license could not be changed.

I will also add that you only had to call FFL dealers near you and get the details from a willing transfer dealer. Why ask the board members?

What experience others have with their dealer ( and mine) is really not applicable to YOUR situation.

I'm throgh dealing with your situation as it is easy for you to do your own inquires without my "help".

As somebody who is fairly new to this and has learned via trial by fire, I'll add a few points:

1. Using Gunbroker to search for candidate FFL's to handle the transfer is a good idea. Fees vary, and Gunbroker shows the fee.
    2. Call your FFL candidate and ask how they can send copies of their license to the seller: Fax, email, snail mail are the options. Most sellers accept an emailed copy, which is quick and convenient. Pick an FFL who uses email over one who does not, if fees are the same.
    3. Ask the FFL if he has any problem accepting a firearm from a non-FFL seller. If the FFL thinks that is an issue, move on to another.
    4. If you plan on being a frequent firearm purchaser, ask the FFL if he discounts the fee for repeats.
    5. FFL's who have a small home business generally charge less than Gun shops and Pawn shops.
    6. Consider getting your own Class 03 C&R FFL if you are going to be buying and selling C&R firearms. Mine is in process.

My attempt was to point out that some dealers I know will only send a copy of their license to a verifiable dealer , per ATF list. Then there can be a paper trail. not sent to whomever for whatever. I pointed out a case of a friend whose check was "washed" and All entries were changed. Big time trouble for his credit allotments etc.No reason why a dealer's license could not be changed.

I will also add that you only had to call FFL dealers near you and get the details from a willing transfer dealer. Why ask the board members?

What experience others have with their dealer ( and mine) is really not applicable to YOUR situation.

I'm throgh dealing with your situation as it is easy for you to do your own inquires without my "help".
    Huh?

you guys that can have it done for $25 are SOOO lucky. It seems there isn't a FFL dealer in all of California that will do it less than $70 (in most cases more)... If anyone knows of an FFL dealer that will do it for significantly less in all of Southern California; Let me know...

-Palimino
    "The bullet is no respecter of fine uniforms." -Russian Proverb