Thread: Chinese Tokarev 213A and 54-1

Default Chinese Tokarev 213A and 54-1

I just received two Chinese Tokarevs for free from a friend of mine.

The first one is a 213A 9 x 19mm, double stack mag 14 rounds. It says "Made in China by Norinco" on the slide. There is also a triangle with the number 66 inside of it, right next to the safety.

The second one is a 54-1 7.62mm x 25, 8 round mag. It says "Model 54-1 7.62mm x 25 KSI Pomona CA, Made in China, on the slide. On the top of the slide there are 3 Chinese letters with 7 numbers under them. Located right under the safety is the year 1959.

My question is, are either of these guns worth anything? I have absolutely no use for them, but I would have been a fool not to take them.

Welcome to the Forum REVOH!
    Both are commercial made and not Military, it all depends on condition, do you have box and or paperwork?
    Chinese in general have a bad rap, since even on my Mint 54, it says in Manual the Service Life is 2000 rounds!
    In excellent cond. the avg price is about $250. at best!
    On the 213A, it is somewhat rare now, in that it holds 14 rounds, i know where there is 1 for sale in exc. for $350!
    Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help vz58kid. I wouldn't say these two are in excellent condition at all. I would have to say 50% at best and that is after I spent all night cleaning both of them. Is the value any different with the 54-1 since it is on the ATF's C&R list?

any chance of pics for the 213a? I'd be interested......

Hi REVOH, the 54 Tok is the least desired of any since it is commercial,
    on the 213 A, it seems there is somewhat of a Cult following pooping up, since yours is a double-stack, hope you have at least 2 mags for it!
    Those might be hard to find and also very expensive, i knew where last yr. those mags were only $25. but they are long gone!
    Best thing you cant do is put pictures up of both, and list them maybe on Gunbroker, it is possible depending how they look that for the 213 A you might get on a good day $400.-$500.
    Prices just vary greatly all over the country, so dont sell the 213 A to quick!
    Best wishes.
    James:D

he'll make goos money on the 213a...IT WAS FREE!

Hate to be a stick in the mud though.......they were free? Are you sure of the legality of them? Got to wonder why anyone would GIVE AWAY two handguns. Thats really a bit creepy. I'd make a call to the police to see if they are wanted in crimes, or stolen.

Not sure how comfortable I'd be with them....

Quote Originally Posted by ruskiegunlover View Post
    he'll make goos money on the 213a...IT WAS FREE!

Hate to be a stick in the mud though.......they were free? Are you sure of the legality of them? Got to wonder why anyone would GIVE AWAY two handguns. Thats really a bit creepy. I'd make a call to the police to see if they are wanted in crimes, or stolen.

Not sure how comfortable I'd be with them....
    That is strange, ruskiegunlover goes from being interested to not being comfortable!
    My 54 is the least favorite of my guns and if i had a truly great friend for yrs. i would let him have it!

On his 213 A, the biggest thing is the condition and how many mags it has, I just want to make sure REVOH gets a Fair Price!

Oh, I am interested in seeing it. Not sure I'd buy it though. Not without checking it out first. Not sure I'd want possession of a stolen handgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by vz58kid View Post
    In excellent cond. the avg price is about $250. at best!
    I've been looking at these 54s. Where am I liable to find them for $250?
    "The only time we see the middle of the road
    is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
    ----------------------------------------------------

Type 54 for $250. Type 213 for $350. 5 available! 213 A for $350.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Ca...co-Pistols.htm

Type 54 for $250. Type 213 for $350. 5 available! 213 A for $350.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Ca...co-Pistols.htm
    Thanks, I had been looking at a 54 (probably in better condition) on GB for $330.

You do know about the 54 having a stated life of 2000. round, says so in the owners manual and many folks have probs with these due to soft metal!

I actually took these both up to a local gun shop today, to see what they thought the condition was. They guy told me that he would list the 213A between 80 and 85% and the 54-1 around 60% because of some surface rust.

I do have two 14 round double stack mags for the 213A and two 8 round mags for the 54-1. I actually registered at GunBroker.com today, but wanted to do a little more research before putting them up.

In reply to Ruskiegunlover's concerns, I was given both of these guns from my future brother in law. They were given to him by his uncle who was the original owner. I even asked him why he was giving them away and he said that he was never going to do anything with them. He said he knew how much I liked guns and thought I would like to have them. Plus I think he is hoping I give him a good deal on my old Springfield XD, when I buy a Kimber next month.

Here are some pics...

You do know about the 54 having a stated life of 2000. round, says so in the owners manual and many folks have probs with these due to soft metal!
    Again with the Chinese "soft metal". All the Chinese Toks were made with milled rather than cast frames. Personally know guys that have put thousands of rounds through Chinese Toks with no problems. The 54-1 was obviously a military pistol that was made "commercial" by adding a safety (1959 date). Again, the soft steel stories always start with "I had a buddy......".
    This post contains the Amish virus. Since the Amish have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all your files. Thank you

Again, the cheap Metal story starts with my Manual telling me that the Service life is 2000 rounds on average!
    The soft metal was mainly parts, if you read then you can see where i say i have 1 of those POS!:eek:

I have a 54 1 which is my truck gun . If get the chance to shoot indoors, its the one that i shoot a lot since i have plenty of surplus ammo for it for cheap and same goes with the mosin nagant M 44 . THe 9 mm and .45 acp are too expensive nowadays so my pistols of those calibers are seldom shot.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat12 View Post
    Again with the Chinese "soft metal". All the Chinese Toks were made with milled rather than cast frames. Personally know guys that have put thousands of rounds through Chinese Toks with no problems. The 54-1 was obviously a military pistol that was made "commercial" by adding a safety (1959 date). Again, the soft steel stories always start with "I had a buddy......".
    FWIW and I know it's not worth much, on another gun board, there's a guy who says he's from Pakistan who claims theses 7.62x25 Toks are very popular there. He claims the Chinese and Russians are the best.

I believe the tokarev is still a popular pistol in some areas because it is so robust.

I still think the 2,000 rounds figure indicates only when the Norincos need to be serviced. IE: change the recoil spring. But it would help to see the actual wording from the manual.

There's a thread that discusses this topic from about a year ago.

There is nothing wrong with a Chin Tok. it is just they dont last as long as other's, but there are exceptions to all statements. I will not spend hrs. going through my junk pile in basement to find the manual!
    What it states is "The Service life of your Norinco Pistol is 2000 to 3000 rounds"!
    Also a buddy has a Mak 90, in the Manual it states the service life of the rifle is 6000 to 7000 rounds!
    One is the worst (cheap) made guns is the Egypt. Helwan which also has soft metal parts and in the middle 90's, there were copies of the Mauser HsC pistol made in Brazil, which according to gun mags of the time basically wore out after 500-1500 rounds, due to cheap metal!
    Also the quality of a Wasr is not as good as a Bulgarian!

The only gun I ever heard of(doesn't mean there aren't more) that the Chinese
    made that had soft steel was their M14. As to the Tokarev, they may have meant that it had a 2-3 thousand rd lifespan in connection with the hot SMG ammo that was about the only thing, besides the Norinco standard ball ammo available back in the 80's. I've been shooting a Norinco made Tokarev, Makarov, AK(in 223) and SKS with NO problems whatsoever as well as a Poly Tech Legend AK. I'm not a big fan of Chinese products in general and buy them because sometimes there are no other choices, but they do make pretty good firearms. Too bad they can't be imported here any more.

Again, the cheap Metal story starts with my Manual telling me that the Service life is 2000 rounds on average!
    The soft metal was mainly parts, if you read then you can see where i say i have 1 of those POS!:eek:
    I read quite well, thanks. What I didn't read was how you reached this conclusion- from reading a manual or shooting the POS. I have a 201C with both 7.62x25 and 9x19 barrels. Have put about 3000 rounds of surplus and commercial Norinco in 7.62 and maybe 1500 rounds of various 9mm through it with absolutely no problems. And from looking it over, I don't foresee any problems in the next 4000 rounds.
    This post contains the Amish virus. Since the Amish have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all your files. Thank you

One is the worst (cheap) made guns is the Egypt. Helwan which also has soft metal parts and in the middle 90's,
    Also the quality of a Wasr is not as good as a Bulgarian!
    Did have a friend who battered the locking tabs on a a Helwan. He was a reloader who thought case capacity was meant to be used! I wouldn't have fired his reloads in a sturdy sub gun. Interarms replaced the part no questions, no charge.

Not sure where the statement on WASR vs Bulgarian came from, but am betting you'll never be able to buy enough ammo to wear out a Wasr or a MAK90.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat12 View Post
    Not sure where the statement on WASR vs Bulgarian came from, but am betting you'll never be able to buy enough ammo to wear out a Wasr or a MAK90.
    +1

I don't see what any of that stuff has to do with a Norinco 213.

Put them both up on GunBroker, thanks for the advice and info guys.

Just a side note, Back When these were imported en masse a serious number of these had firing malfuctions right out of the box and were returned for "repairs". Not all were repaired and IIRC the added safety (or metal chips from its installation) was a problem. Saw at least a pallet load of these marked for return at a big importers warehouse and got a rather rude response when i asked what was wrong with them. I was there attempting to get a fix on mine (FTF) and left with a refund.

I bought 2 of the Norinco 213's in 1992. I put one in the safe and shot the other one. I had over 55,000 rounds through it, never had a FTF or FTE. I finally gave the shooter to my brother and bought out the safe queen. He'd been trying to get me to sell it to him for years.
    I keep on hearing this "soft metal" and "2,000 round service life" garbage. No one has ever backed it up. My manuals certainly say no such thing. I've heard this "soft metal" thing also claimed on the Norinco 1911's, which in fact have harder metal than Colt uses.
    The last of the Norinco 213's were just sold in Canada. One guy shot 3,000 rounds through his in a weekend, no problem whatsoever.
    As you can no doubt tell, I think your claim is bogus.

For clarification the 54-1s with the aftermarket added safety were the one with the problems.

Thumbs down

Exactly VZ58kid! So did your Chinese Tokarev blow up after you shot 2000 rounds through it? Did your friend's MAK 90 actually blew up after he shot 6000-7000 rounds through it? If it really did happen to you guys we'll believe it until then don't come here and spread this BS!

Quote Originally Posted by csm1005 View Post
    Exactly VZ58kid! So did your Chinese Tokarev blow up after you shot 2000 rounds through it? Did your friend's MAK 90 actually blew up after he shot 6000-7000 rounds through it? If it really did happen to you guys we'll believe it until then don't come here and spread this BS!
    Not spreading anything but simply staing what the manuals say! They should know!

Not spreading anything but simply staing what the manuals say! They should know!
    I can vouch for you on the claimed 5000 round life span on the instruction manual which came with my MAK 90. Fortunately for me, they were off on their count Those Chinese gun manufactures were certainly some mysterious mofos.

Could be an effort to avoid liability. If there were some problem, they could say the pistol was past its service life.

I really dont know but it is a POS! As i and other's have stated we are talking about the Chin Model 54 in 9mm and not the model 213!
    After getting it in 97 or so i was not impressed in the least it was NIB and they had been banned from export for yrs. it was only about $90. or so.
    Loaded it and put up then 3 months later the mag base broke off from staying loaded a few month:eek:.
    Within 100 rounds the firing pin and extractor both broke, 200 more rounds and the hammer had to be replaced due to it losing shape, 200 more rounds and Slide & Frame both showed severe wear and stress from recoil, at this time the barrel was very worn out and the trigger also started to deform and had to be replaced.
    Fortunately parts were cheap and avail in those days, i still have the POS, since it is to unreliable to sell!:eek:
    PS. Forgot to say when i got it one side of Slide was stamped, Imported by KeyWest Importers, and the metal was so soft the Slide bent inwards or about 1/3 of it, so it looked warped and since then i have seen others in pictures with the same prob.
    Last edited by vz58kid; 11-06-2009 at 09:16 PM.

a quick google search showed the 14 rnd mags available at $31 each. haven't shot my double stack enough to justify buying more mags though. I like the .30 cal pistols more.

y'all have a good day, Keith
    Say you love her 'till she lays down the butcher knife. -Tim Wilson

"Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

VZ58kid why didn't you say before you were talking about the Model 54 in 9mm. I have a M213 in 9mm so I don't have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by csm1005; 11-07-2009 at 06:29 PM.