Thread: 8mm Ecuador ammo

Default 8mm Ecuador ammo

What would be a good price to pay per round for this ammo. I had someone approach me with about 14,000 rds to sell. 5,000 still in the crates. They need cash soon.
    Last edited by MNIceMan; 11-02-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: correct oops
    "We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
    http://www.ammocancrew.com/

I had a case of it, but it had quite a few rounds that would not go off on the first try. Many of those would not go on the second try either. Hard primers maybe? Never had any problem with any other 8mm. If it were me, at today's prices I would not pay over 15 to 20 c /round due to the expected issues.

Armyrat1970 had a fair amount of this stuff that he was pulling down for components. Makes me tend to think that perhaps the ammo is a bit unreliable in its current state...

Last edited by gun_lover; 11-02-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    "The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament..."

I'm starting, to suspect that I, don't know how to use commas.

I picked up some of the 55 Ecuadorian ammo on strippers. I had the same issue with failure to fire until I put in a new 22# firing pin spring. No misfires after replacing the spring and the ammo was very accurate.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by MNIceMan View Post
    What would be a good price to pay per round for this ammo. I had someone approach me with about 14,000 rds to sell. 5,000 still in the crates. They need cash soon.
    5 cents a round would be a good price. No that would be a great price!
    Realistically 20 cents a round would be a fair to good price now days.
    I have 3000 rds of this that I picked up about 6 years ago for 6 cents a round. Hard primers, but a 22-24 lb spring takes care of that.
    Mosin- Know the safety, Love the safety, Be the safety

My 1917 Danzig GEW 98 had some misfires until I replaced the old spring with a Wolff 22#.
    My M1948A Yugo never had any problems at all.
    It was one of the more accurate loads I tried, and I regret not buying more at the old prices.

This stuff is 100% in my Hakim.

Ecuadorian was the best 8mm I ever shot in my Yugo48, better than my reloads.

good stuff in my book, with no problems to report. gets 2250 fps out of the 16" barreled hakim underfolder. smells like the inside of a chicken house, though. i rate this stuff higher than yugo 50's.

Thanks for the replys. I know what they paid for it and that they cash soon. I want to be fair but not pay market price.
    "We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
    http://www.ammocancrew.com/

I see a gun shop is selling 20rds of this ammo for $6.99 Hope this helps.

Default 1954 FN Contract ammo

I've shot quite a bit of this....

If memory serves, the Ecuadorian 8mm was produced for them in Belgium under a 1954 Fabrique Nationale (FN) contract. I'll assume that Ecuador had MG 34 or 42 or other German built Machine guns that used it. It's a 198 gr "SS" (Spitz Geschoss) heavy ball load with cupro-nickel jacketed bullets.

Unusual to see 8x57MM used by South American countries most of whom would have used 7.65x53 or 7x57 in their Mausers...

From my experience it's very accurate ammo, loaded a bit hot-- look for pressure signs. Look at the primers... they look pretty flattened in anything I've shoot it in....

I swear I feel a bit more recoil when firing these in my Mausers.

Never had a misfire (yet)
    AK_MILSURP
    Benefactor Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, Alaska Gun Collectors Association
    Life member, VFW
    Anchorage, AK
    www.amga.net

"Remember the Range day, And keep it holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim"