Default 30-06 brass worth selling?

I am cleaning up my Uncles stuff and he has a bunch of shot 30-06 military brass, at least 1000 rounds. Is this worth trying to sell for reloading or is it just worth the value of the brass as scrap? About what does it sell for to a reloader? I looked at a few and they are clean and have 1957/58 headstamps, with military primer crimps.

Thanks, David

Default Franchi, while I can't speak for anyone else.........

...............I would put a value of once fired brass, especially 50yr old once fired brass, at well under what you would pay for new commercial cases. And this is assuming it is all once-fired, boxer primed, and in fairly good condition. It may have a value of of 10 to 15 cents a case, but someone really hard up for .30-06 cases may be willing to give more.

I've actually tried to pass on .30-'06 cases for now, even at a really great deal, as I've been able to obtain so much of it by keeping my eyes open for it at the range.(and a little digging around in range trash cans!) I even had a gentleman trade me out of about 200 once-fired 7mm Rem Mag cases, which I had in storage for about 8 years here in Texas. Some were a little tarnished/corroded to say the least, and I was upfront about it from the very beginning. I do not shoot 7 mag any longer, as I sold the rifle, and the cases were a holdover from before I ever started reloading. Needless to say he brought me well over 1000 .30-06 cases in 5 gallon buckets, somewhat segregated by headstamps, etc. Some was milsurp, some was commercial. I wasn't too picky as the 7mm mag stuff wasn't being used by me. Most of it the cases had the military primers(and crimps holding them in!), thus being once-fired.

He seemed tickled to death to get the 7mm mag stuff for the .30-'06 cases, even if they required a little exterior cleaning.

Once again, I am definately NOT the last word on price, as everyone's needs are different, and I feel that if you had asked this question 6mos to a year ago, the answer may have been a little higher from others looking for reloading components.

Dale

Tenntex is probably right with the 10-15 cent a case number. Looking at Midway just now they sell Winchester brass for about 33 cents per case new. I'll bet if you listed it on the Trader for $100 shipped it would sell right away.

I've never reloaded brass with staked primers. Do you have to ream the pocket?
    Жить стало лучше, товарищи. Жить стало веселее.
    Life has improved, comrades. Life has become more joyous!
    I.V.S, 1935

A lot will depend on the manufacture of the cases. Many prize Lake City, or brass with a LC headstamp. WCC is another good headstamp and quality brass. Other than the dates, what else is stamped on the heads? Also no real way to tell if they are once fired. I would go to Midway and check their prices on their grade 3 brass and go from there. Maybe dropping your selling price a little unless sure they are all once fired. If you load for the 8mm you can use them yourself. Others may purchase them for that purpose also.
    The manufacture will make a big difference in what you can ask for them.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    Tenntex is probably right with the 10-15 cent a case number. Looking at Midway just now they sell Winchester brass for about 33 cents per case new. I'll bet if you listed it on the Trader for $100 shipped it would sell right away.

I've never reloaded brass with staked primers. Do you have to ream the pocket?
    You can scrape the crimp out of the pockets with a small pocket knife. This removes some of the meat from the primer pocket of course. You can also get a primer pocket swager. Many feel this is the best way as it doesn't remove anything.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Hi Guy's
    Brass as scrap sells in Canada for 1.20 Cdn Dollars.
    Cheers
    Gerry

Thanks Guys, Will have to look at it closer.
    David

If you have a local "Thrifty Nickle" type of ad paper, put an ad out - a local reloader will bite. Saves dealing with packing and shipping. You may even have a local shooter's forum - we do here, and trade amongst ourselves regularly.

Internet vendors selling once fired cases are charging $60 to $95 per 1,000 military 30-06 cases. Most of this is late 1960's. 57/58 was non-corrosive and non-mercuric primed, so no corrosion/weakening issues there. They may be a little brittle in the neck but annealing would take care of it. Try to sell them locally or list them in the WTS forum.
    How many psi in a CUP?

I've sold once-fired brass like this on Gunbroker.com, no problem. It wasn't 57/58 brass, either, mostly 52-53 some of which could've originally been fired with corrosive primers and this could be an issue with unfired brass that sits around for decades.

Once-fired military brass of this kind is pretty easy to tell; the original primer will still be crimped in place.

There are some people who prefer to use GI brass when they load for their M1 Rifle (or whatever), some kind of originality thing. There is a market for it at some price and it's worth more than scrap.

There are no listing fees charged on Gunbroker.com; only a modest commission when the item sells. You can put stuff up there almost indefinitely until it sells.

The preference for GI brass in an M1 or M-14/M1a is that the mil cases are much thicker than commercial cases. These rifles are hard on cases and GI cases last through a few more reloads. I have this preference. I also prefer to reform GI 30-06 to 8x57 for my K-43. It tears up commercial cases.
    How many psi in a CUP?

As M2 ball 30-06 has virtually dried up for now, I'm hanging on to bags full of once fired brass. The Lake City and Greek surp from CMP had excellent brass and the Greek shot so clean, they don't even need to be tumbled! I'm dying to take the M1 out for a workout but am resisting the urge to open a spam can as I know it will all get used in one day!
    Afraid that it may come down to re-stuffing that brass if I want to shoot it.

It's no news to me that the M1 Rifle can be hard on brass. I've got quantities of both GI and commercial brass that I use in my M1 Rifles. Many of both have been fired numerous times. I prolong their life by annealing once in a while, but case head damage is another story. I haven't noticed much difference in damage to the case head/rim area between GI brass and commercial. One of my M1 Rifles inparts a little kind of brand to any case that is fired in it.

Re. the Greek Pyrkal HXP, I don't know if you consider this GI brass exactly. I've fired cartridges from two different lots of this, and the case heads held up pretty good in one batch but in the other batch they suffered more deformation of the rim (same rifle).

When using older GI brass that's sat around for decades, I don't know if there's much advantage over commercial stuff there. I've had my share of culled cases after firings from those. I think the internal surface corrosion can have an effect over that amount of time. Recently I found three that had an annulus formed midway along the case body. These were in an LC 44, LC 45, and SL 55. These I believe had been fired three times.

Pics:

Default If you still have it

I buy as much boxer primed reloadable 30-06 brass as I can afford when I can find it at 10 cents per case. It doesn't matter to me what the headstamp says. Out of 1000+ cases I've only found 2 or 3 that were of questionable integrity.
    When I come across older live rounds, I fire them off to eliminate any possible future or continued degradation by old primers or powder. Except for a handful that will be fired over the next few years to celebrate their 100th birthday.
    I have 8 30-06 rifles to feed and they each have their own preferences when it comes to reloading for accuracy.
    Feel free to PM me if you wish to sell.
    Jack