Default Getting cigarette smoke smell off a rifle

I just bought a 1891 Carcano from a shop that always has great deals. Only problem is that the owner smokes in his shop and all the rifles I buy from him always smell like smoke. Once I handle the gun my hands smell like smoke. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you get rid of it. I've also had a few come from the trader with likewise smells. Am I the only one that thinks this is a problem?

I don't believe I've ever seen an ad for a firearm that stated "Comes from a smoke-free home." I can understand that it could be a problem for some but it never bothered me. I think that after a while the smell would fade or go away completely.

Regards,
    Eric

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

I've used "Sheath" by Birchwood Casey on a rag and that gets the smoke smell off for me. My grandfather smokes cigars and sometimes when I switch locations for some of my rifles, I have to do that.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Default Smoke free ad

I'm not complaining and it would never influence a purchase but I was just wondering how to get rid of the smell. I don't expect a warning or anything in an ad like that, it would probably make me laugh though. That would have to one precise description to go down to how the gun smells. I'm sure people have removed cigarette smoke or stains from other types of things like furniture. I'm just wondering how to go about it as it has never been a problem before.

If the stock is oil finish (like Carcano's are), wipe it down with a small amount of linseed oil, SPARINGLY. Should remove the tobacco tars (that hold the aromatics), and feed your wood at the same time.

If it's shellaced (like Mosin Nagants), a little oil also wont hurt it.

NEVER deodorise the wood with any sprays, alcohols etc as they WILL attack the finish. Spraying your girlfriends, wifes, or lovers perfume on it will just spot the finish. :D

I've bought a few rifles that smelled of stale cigarette smoke and it did fade away after a few months. I'd be hesitant to do anything to the wood for fear of altering the finish or old patina. Put it in a back bedroom for a while and let it air out naturally.

It will air out naturally. I often wipe down the wood with Hoppe's #9 on a paper towel to remove grease film and grit. That has never changed or ruined any finish of any rifle I have used it on in over 50 years. It would likely remove all of the smoke film, plus it smells better. DDR
    +2,100 (2,082+18)

shoot it more and clean it throughly. soon enough it will smell like hoppes #9 and you will forget that smokey scent....

Quote Originally Posted by MrBurritoMan View Post
    shoot it more and clean it throughly. soon enough it will smell like hoppes #9 and you will forget that smokey scent....
    +1

I can't imagine anything overpowering the smell of hoppes #9.

Quote Originally Posted by albacore View Post
    +1

I can't imagine anything overpowering the smell of hoppes #9.
    don't forget intoxicating...:D

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

I picked up a couple rifles from a local shop that were heavily saturated with cigarette smoke - in fact, they were so smoky that the metal work had taken on a bronze hue! The shop keeper said the guns were from the estate of a fellow that was a heavy smoker, and they had hung in his den. I wiped down all the metal work with Hoppe's #9, and rubbed the wood with lemon furniture polish. Most of the staining was removed, but everytime you pick up one of these rifles, they still stink.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

It is a good bet that many, if not most, of the original or previous owners of historical weapons smoked, or spent significant amounts of time in smoky environs. Look at the Third World today - even the little kids are smoking.

Removing deposited layers of tar and nicotine may be the equivalent of Bubba "shining her up a little bit" just so she looks purtier... :D
    LSFlaghoist.gif

I won a Japanese Type 38 rifle on Auction Arms. On taking delivery, I opened the box, and it smelled like a forgotten ashtray. As posted above, this rifle had actually taken on a patina from smoke. Anyway, a thorough cleaning and a few wipedowns with oil took care of most of the smell. Disappeared after about 2 years.

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

A good long term airing helps greatly is getting rid of the odors. (If you can stand it in the meantime.)
    Charlie

Since I quit smoking six months ago I cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke.As a smoker I never realized how much of a smell that was nor can you make any smoker realize what the smell is like.It's beyond "bad smell" all the way to STINK!
    I never thought of a rifle having a cigarette smell but I am sure it's possible.I do know that if you are a non-smoker or a reformed smoker you are very susceptible to the very very bad odor of cigarette smoke.

Stan

I've purchased rifles that smelled like smoke, but not as bad as some described above. They eventually aired out by themselves. Just for the record, I don't smoke so any rifles you might purchase from me in the future won't smell like anything but Hoppes #9.

There's a machine called an "ozone generator" that is used to remove the smoke smell from a building after a fire. (Don't ask me how I know!) I think there may be canister type products available that do the same thing too. You might see if you can find one of these and put it in a safe with the rifle for a few days.

Ballistol should also work well for removing the smell.
    The Americans fight for a free world, the English mostly for honor and glory and medals, the French and Canadians decide too late that they have to participate. The Italians are too scared to fight; the Russians have no choice. The Germans for the Fatherland. The Boers? Those sons of bitches fight for the hell of it!” - American General, George “Guts and Glory” Patton

Just clean it with a good cleaner and wipe it down wit BLO. It will look and smell good when your done.
    There is nothing wrong with cleaning a little dirt and grime from a stock.

Slather on some cosmoline. Nothing like the aroma of cigs and cosmo.

...Okay...thanks to all of the posters for your comments (WAY back in 2007)...

...but...

...I was wondering...have any of you folks found anything SINCE 2007 that works on cigarette or cigar smoke scents?...being a former smoker (years ago!), I am a little more 'put-off' by the smell of stale smoke than most folks...

...so...

...I just received a "smoky" milsurp, and was wondering how to get my new firearm and gunsafe to NOT smell like an old ashtray...I already gave it a light cleaning, but that didn't help at all!!...

...any help would be appreciated!!...
    MY FIRST TEN MOSIN NAGANTS:
    1925 Izhevsk m1891/30 Ex-Dragoon- "Katalin"
    1939 Tula m1891/30 Lam. Stock- "Irena"
    1934 Tikka m27- "Tiina-Rakel"
    1938 Tula m1891/30 Finn Captured- "Nainen Sodassa"
    1955 Type 53 Carbine- "Thu Huong"
    1944 Tikka m1891/30- "Isoäiti"
    1942 VKT m1891- "Mummo"
    1916 Tula PTG m1891 Finn'd- "Petra"
    1967 No-Maker m39- "Tuuli"
    1926-8 Bohler-Stahl m24- "Vanha Rouva"

I always thought Hoppes smell would pretty much cut through most anything.

Man,I hope I never buy a rifle from someone who kept it in the bathroom.

I typically use lemon oil to wipe down a rifle. Dissolves some stuff, and won't hurt the finish on either the wood or the metal.

Although it is a bit thin for it, my brother once used lemon oil as a filler/ finish on the stock of an old Mossberg .22 that he felt was in need of 'cleaning up'. It took him about 100 coats, and the rifle smelled JUST GREAT for a couple of years after that, but the finish on that rifle is still holding up some 30+ years later.

It is forever polluted with no hope of removing the odor.
    Send it to me. I chain smoke ... even when shooting my rifles. I will give it a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by themosinator View Post
    ...I just received a "smoky" milsurp, and was wondering how to get my new firearm and gunsafe to NOT smell like an old ashtray...I already gave it a light cleaning, but that didn't help at all!!...
    ...any help would be appreciated!!...
    One of these might help out the safe...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No9-Solvent_lo.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	515789
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Sheath some of the best COMMERCIAL RUST PROTECTION anti polizersing oils ....is the best smell even hoppes nun. 9 comes in second.....
    then clean lightly with murphys oil soap stocks and add personal protections of choice or org. finishes, wax, linseed, wood red, lemon, root, oils......clean slings clean "slightly" with saddle soap, oil with a "little" neatfoot....

a side not....gun mags, put in bag with cotton pine slightly soaked cotton balls.......then after a few day dump baby powder in bag shak and .....read in confort.

Clean the metal and coat with RIG. Store it with a box of baking soda nearby. Give it time. It will be fine.

If you must rush it, and you think something like Howards Feed and Wax is acceptable, then wipe it down with Howards. It smells nice.

I figure that the majority of the rifles that I collect have hung in the burning clouds of powder, dust, oils, machines, mold, must, Lucky Srikes in the trenches, and even the stench of dried blood and seared human flesh.

Then I contemplate on just how long that rifle has been around, and surmise, "Yes, it's old enough to smoke." Then I wipe it down with oil and let it stink like it should.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by DudleyDR View Post
    It will air out naturally. I often wipe down the wood with Hoppe's #9 on a paper towel to remove grease film and grit. That has never changed or ruined any finish of any rifle I have used it on in over 50 years. It would likely remove all of the smoke film, plus it smells better. DDR

Take that sucker out and shoot it. After a good cleaning it will smell like powder, Hoppes # 9 and gun oil. All done.

I used to work for a company that did fire repair to buildings. One of the tricks they used was to open bottles of vanilla extract and leave them around the place. I don't know the reason but it did seem to work. You could try by putting the gun in a bag with the vanilla for a couple of days. Can't hurt.

A damp warm rag will clean it too as long as there is no bare wood and the rag is only damp, not soaking wet. Also given time it will go away. Of course I mean just the stock.

Send the rifle to a smoke cesession center.That should work.I can't believe that it would be that much of a problem.And I'm an ex cigarette and cigar smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin1945 View Post
    Send the rifle to a smoke cesession center.
    MY FIRST TEN MOSIN NAGANTS:
    1925 Izhevsk m1891/30 Ex-Dragoon- "Katalin"
    1939 Tula m1891/30 Lam. Stock- "Irena"
    1934 Tikka m27- "Tiina-Rakel"
    1938 Tula m1891/30 Finn Captured- "Nainen Sodassa"
    1955 Type 53 Carbine- "Thu Huong"
    1944 Tikka m1891/30- "Isoäiti"
    1942 VKT m1891- "Mummo"
    1916 Tula PTG m1891 Finn'd- "Petra"
    1967 No-Maker m39- "Tuuli"
    1926-8 Bohler-Stahl m24- "Vanha Rouva"

I'm with you Martin, long as it doesn't smell like a dead body I'm good.

LB