Richard's Microfit = Expensive Firewood

I posted this over at Surplusrifleforum as well, but I wanted to make sure more people don't get an inferior product like I did.

I ordered one stock from Richard's Microfit Stocks last year for a Mosin Nagant M44 and after quite a bit of inletting work the rifle was together. The stock had a couple of asymmetrical areas, but it wasn't a big deal. My most recent Mosin stock has really got me steamed though.

I ordered a Tactical style, 3" forearm stock in Royal Camo with sling swivels and a buttpad installed. All in all around $300 with shipping for a "96%" inletted stock. What a joke. After I started working on inletting the stock, and thus could not return it, I noticed this..... Seriously, was the guy working the stock machine drunk???

Just a little bit crooked and then I noticed the taper on the forearm was also off a fair amount.

Not ideal, but I'm a pretty easy going guy, and I'm just excited to get my rifle together.

What will I find next?

The magazine channel wasn't inletted straight. The action wasn't either, but at least to an extent that it was easily fixed and covered up. The magazine being so crooked is what really set me off and made me write this, I went to start putting the pillars in and realized that even though the hole I had drilled was in line with the action and stock holes, the magazine was cocked off the the side nearly 1/8".

Once I got my bolt back from Rock Solid I tried it out in the stock.... The cheek pad doesn't allow the bolt to come back, so much so that I had to remove nearly 2" of wood for the bolt to open all the way, let alone remove the bolt with the rifle put together. You would think someone at that company would have tried that and realized they shouldn't offer that style for the Mosin.

And the original

I don't plan on ever buying another stock from Richard's. And I really just might burn this stock...

Here's the action I'm dealing with, I'm going to see if I can stuff it into an ATI stock. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

Brandon
    ->>>--------------->

Just got off the phone with Richard's, they are going to have UPS pick up my stock in the morning and determine what they're going to do. I'm really hoping to get my money back.
    Brandon
    ->>>--------------->

god, my eyes hurt from looking at that. is there a new show on cable called PIMP MY MOSIN-NAGANT?

IMO, the stock you had originally is a much better stock for a sporterized M-N, rather then that clown color laminated one.
    Last edited by SfcRet; 11-16-2009 at 04:52 PM.

We both know that even with the crooked inletting you're extremely jealous of the stock and wish your Mosin's were as flamboyant as mine
    Brandon
    ->>>--------------->

I like the Richard's Stocks and realize that with certian actions the stocks have to be modified. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and wish that the personel whom answer the phone and take the orders are the ones whom build the stocks. You might get some warning/informed decision when you order. Mine was on a Japanese Arisaka action and because of the straight pull of the bolt I too had to modify the comb. This was my first and I learned to go with a better style next time.

Good luck and all the best.

I've done a couple of Mausers on Richard's stocks with zero problems. Maybe because I stick to simple, traditional styles in walnut. My best buy was a "second" for a Mark X 375 H&H Mauser. Apparently they were out of seconds and sent me a perfect one that even had a bit of figure in it!

I really like their Modern Classic for a hunting rifle. It has a high comb butt for a straight line that reduces felt recoil, and a palm swell that's very comfortable.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

My experience with Richards has been good overall. Years ago, I ordered one of the deluxe fancy stocks they had on sale for Mexican Mauser with a sporter barrel that I had. The piece of wood they sent me was beautiful but the inletting was quite generous and there were many wood/metal gaps that did not seem to go with the beautiful wood. I sent it back and a few months later received a replacement that was broken in half! I called and a few months later got a replacement for that one. Much tighter fit but the wood is not so nicely figured. I would buy from them again. I still have the broken one and it will some day be a stock set for a rolling block or some other two piece type long gun.

I've had hit or miss service with them. Over the years I've ordered probably a dozen + stocks from them. Some were spot on, and some were "gimme a break, this isn't even close" (a Model 70 short action, push feed comes to mind).

Generally they try to make it right, and the father seems to be a stand up guy. The son...well...sometimes I wonder if he's sniffing the glue in the shop while he's answering the phones... :cool:

My guess is that those with the Mausers have better luck as they sell them as 99% finished and probably receive better attention overall, whereas less popular actions such as Mosins are sold as 96% finished.
    Brandon
    ->>>--------------->

Richard's reviewed my stock and decided to give me a partial refund. While I definitely am not pleased with the product, Richard's has good customer service.
    Brandon
    ->>>--------------->

A partial refund and a perfect new stock? I would NOT be happy with only PART of my money back from that.
    ARMED MALL NINJA
    My collection (In chronological order)
    Springfield XD 45acp, Black
    Marlin 795 Tacticool, Blued/Black
    Mosin Nagant M91/30

richards also offers stock duplicating so you could modd your original stock then ship it to them to be duplicated.
    one some rifles with very high combs you will have to cut a recess for the bolt, most of the time they just cut out a trough for the bolt to slide back into & some of them even have to use a removable checkpiece to be able to remove the bolt from the rifle.
    Last edited by dirtyjim; 11-26-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Default Richard's...dubious

I have ordered two stocks from them.

A M96 stock, which was supposedly 96% inlet...whatever. More like 80% Very rough and undersized (better than oversized I guess) in some places. The front receiver screw and rear receiver screw were not even the correct distance from each other, let alone were the the correct distance from the magazine channel. By glueing a dowel into one of the holes, I was able to re-drill the tang hole in the correct place.

I can say that the "standard" grade of Claro walnut I received was nearly flawless and had excellent fineness and color. A good chunk of wood or $65 at least.

The K31 stock in "Fancy" grade "American Black Walnut" was a different story:ugly, loose grained wood. Not worth the $130! The inlet job was abysmal; I am working at it slowly. Since some parts are oversized, I think I am just going to glass bed.

Also, Customer service was rude. I ordered both stocks on the same day, was very specific and was promised certain "maximum shipping dates." I asked to have them shipped together to save on shipping. I was told 9 weeks on the M96 stock, and 13 weeks for the K31 and they would ship together for the discounted rate.

13 Weeks (to the day, I marked my calendar) the M96 Stock came with no K31 Stock. I called and told them I wanted both of my stocks in the same shipment, and the K31 stock was now overdue, since tomorrow would be more than 13 weeks. They launched into some sort of tirade at me. I was shocked. Maybe it is California work ethic, maybe this person was just a jerk. I don't know. They did not give me the discounted shipping(charged for the separate shipping I did not ask for), and I gave up sitting on their "hold" for the $5 it would save me. Maybe I should have been nastier--I usually am.

The K31 stock came 19 weeks and some days after I ordered it.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 12-10-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Default I have dealt with them a few times---fair but

hard to communicate with and it is expensive to ship to Alaska. I have bought a number of seconds and duplicates from them, all fairly priced. You can never get them on the phone. I would like to talk to them about a Norwegian Krag stock, but they never respond to phone calls or e-mails
    gil

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjim View Post
    richards also offers stock duplicating so you could modd your original stock then ship it to them to be duplicated.
    one some rifles with very high combs you will have to cut a recess for the bolt, most of the time they just cut out a trough for the bolt to slide back into & some of them even have to use a removable checkpiece to be able to remove the bolt from the rifle.
    Be careful, I sent them a stock to be duped and after they duped it they essentially said, "We had to basically alter/destroy it, to duplicate the pattern". Not having been informed of this in the beginning, the owner understood my disappointment (the stock was brand new, but not a style I liked or worked for my LOP) and offered me a second stock in that pattern at cost...

hmm thanks for telling me I was thinking about buying one...