Mausers, Only Mausers - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Mausers, Only Mausers

I'll post photos here, however the amazing story behind these two M1887 Turkish Mausers is spelled out in detail in this thread:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...fellow-Member!

Turkish contract M1887 Mauser Infantry Rifle with Original WWI issue canvas sling

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 Mauser - Barrel Markings.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	288.5 KB 
ID:	1539633 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 Action Top View 17.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	1539689 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 w Bayonet 008R.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	1539617

Name:	Turkish M1887 Mauser - Siderail Markings.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	1539705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 Mauser - Receiver  Action Detail II.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	1539641 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 Action Rt Side Detail Rt Side 05.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	1539681

Name:	Turkish M1887 Mauser - Serial Number.jpg 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	1539649 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 Insp Markings Detail 04.jpg 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	1539665 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 Mauser - Siderail Markings Detail.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	1539657

Name:	Turkish M1887 Rear Sight Leaf Detail 15.jpg 
Size:	295.4 KB 
ID:	1539673 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 Trigger Guard Detail 19.jpg 
Size:	292.8 KB 
ID:	1539697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkish M1887 Mauser w Bayonet 007-R.jpg 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	1539625

I'm looking for a substitute rear sight slide in the event that anyone has any ideas? The chances of finding an original are zero and ZERO!

Warmest regards,

JPS​

W
    ürttemberg issue Turkish contract M1887 Mauser Infantry Rifle with Original WWI issue leather sling

The last shipment of M1887 Mausers to Turkey ended at 220,000 after which production continued with the introduction of the M1890 Infantry Rifle. According to Carter, an overrun over 25,000 rifles were in WIP when the Turks exercised the option in the contract and adopted the M1890. There are no Turkish markings what-so-ever on the overrun weapons with everything marked in German, including Mauser's typical "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER" over "OBERNDORF a/NECKAR" on the siderail. The completed rifles were placed in storage in Württemberg and according to Anthony Carter, were issued to Landwehr units when full mobilization was ordered in 1914.

Name:	Turkish & Wurttemberg M1887s w Bayonet 019R.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	283.8 KB 
ID:	1539785

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Action Rt Side 14.jpg 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	1539817 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Action Right Side 11.jpg 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	1539737 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Action Top View 09.jpg 
Size:	293.5 KB 
ID:	1539777

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Model Detail 15.jpg 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	1539745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Siderail Markings 01.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	1539761 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Action Left Side 02.jpg 
Size:	299.6 KB 
ID:	1539729

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Rear Sight Rt Side 12.jpg 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	1539753 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Top Band Lft Side 05.jpg 
Size:	294.6 KB 
ID:	1539769 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Trigger Guard Detail 07.jpg 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	1539801

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Rear Sight Leaf Detail 08.jpg 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	1539793 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurttemberg M1887 Rear Sight Leaf Detail 16.jpg 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	1539809

Warmest regards,

JPS
    Last edited by JPS; 08-26-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    I'm looking for a substitute rear sight slide in the event that anyone has any ideas? The chances of finding an original are zero and ZERO!
    Warmest regards,
    JPS​
    Congratulations! Very impressive! (especially if i compare to my own samples...)
    My ideas about the rear sight slider would be IG 71/84, and Gew.88:

Name:	P1020519.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	1540201 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020520.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	305.4 KB 
ID:	1540209
    IG 71/84 (top): rear sight is 23.2 mm wide (rear sight width, not slider width); slider is 13 mm high
    Gew.88 (Turk, bottom): 22.5 mm wide, 15 mm high

The original Turkish M1887 would be (sorry, no better pic available)

Name:	5638137.1063608004.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	1540217

Chris
    Last edited by bagiman; 08-24-2016 at 11:50 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thank you Chris!

I have already searched for a 71/84 rear sight slide, but hadn't thought about the Gew 88 being an option. With the Collection in storage, I have nothing to compare on a hands-on basis. I'm sure that a Gew 88 slide can be found with the number of parted-out rifles that came from Ecuador several years back.

Thanks again for your help!

Warmest regards,

John

Since "only accurate rifles are interesting" this is an interesting rifle. Even more so with the history. However I see no Turkish markings. Any chance this was just re-arsenal product after WWI? Then imported here, redone by US gunsmith? Maybe using available stocks? Many Servicemen Broke the stocks to get them in their duffles.

Would you say this was a highly "collectible" piece?

98a or 98az karibiner? see bottom of page at
    http://www.militaryfactory.com/small...allarms_id=275

Quote Originally Posted by snickle View Post
    Since "only accurate rifles are interesting" this is an interesting rifle. Even more so with the history. However I see no Turkish markings. Any chance this was just re-arsenal product after WWI? Then imported here, redone by US gunsmith? Maybe using available stocks? Many Servicemen Broke the stocks to get them in their duffles.

Hello Snickle,

The M1887 Mauser with ALL German manufacturing markings in the post above is indeed an extremely rare rifle and would be highly desirable for anyone who collects WWI rifles or who collects Mausers specifically.

When Ottoman Turkey placed their enormous order for 500,000 rifles with the Mauser firm, one of the clauses written into the contract specified that in the event that Mauser were to develop a newer model, the Turks reserved the right to switch production to the newer model. There was a small army of Turkish source inspectors working at Mauser to ensure that the quality of the product continued to meet the standards promised by Mauser.

When Mauser introduced the Belgian M1889, chambered for the 7.65x53mm cartridge, the Turks were aware of the development of the new rifle and were immediately supplied with test rifles per the terms of the contract. Obviously there was no comparison between a charger loading, small-bore rifle, firing a high-velocity* smokeless cartridge and the M1887 black-powder cartridge rifle with a Kropatschek tubular magazine.

After testing, the Turks exercised the clause in the contract mentioned above and with a number of changes, adopted the M1890 Turkish Mauser chambered for the same cartridge as the Belgian M1889, i.e. the 7.65x53mm round. The two parties agreed that the deliveries of M1887 Mausers would stop at 220,000 rifles. When the cut-off number was agreed upon, the Mauser firm was NOT going to argue with their largest customer whose business put the company on the map. There were 280,000 rifles remaining on the contract!

When the last of the 220,000 M1887 Turkish Mausers were produced, there were enough parts in WIP (a manufacturing term - Work In Process) to produce another 10,000 to 25,000 rifles.** Rather than scrap the parts, these rifles were completed with ALL German markings in the hope that they might be sold on the commercial arms market. This is why there are NO Turkish markings on these rifles. Unfortunately for Mauser, with the development of smokeless powder, they couldn't find any immediate buyers for the over-run, so the rifles were placed in storage where they remained until 1914.

Following the outbreak of war in 1914, when it became painfully apparent that the war was not going to be over in the two or three months that everyone but Lord Kitchener had predicted, Germany called for the complete mobilization of every able-bodied man who was subject to military service. The next problem the German Army faced, along with all of the other combatant nations, was a severe shortage of rifles. To help alleviate the problem, German Army Ordnance commandeered ALL of the rifles in the inventory of every major commercial arms dealer in the country, including long obsolete single-shot black-powder cartridge rifles. The obsolete weapons were issued to troops who were not expected to see front line service. In doing this, the modern rifles that were originally allocated for the reserves and non-combat units were free'd up for issue to newly raised front line regiments.

It was at this point in time that the entire inventory of German marked M1887 Infantry Rifles were commandeered from Mauser and issued to several Landwehr Regiments from Württemberg. In Anthony Carter's landmark work on bayonets, in the volume that covers foreign bayonets in German service during WWI, there are several WWI photographs of soldiers from Württemberg Landwehr regiments with their issue M1887 Mausers.

All of the above is well documented in the Historical Record. These rifles were never "re-arsenal'ed" after WWI. Germany was busy destroying much more modern weapons than the M1887 Mauser per the terms of the Treaty of Versailles.

Regarding "duffel cut" stocks of the rifles brought home following WWI and WWII, this rifle was NEVER duffel cut since it was not brought into the U.S. after either world war. I personally purchased both M1887 Mauser rifles at an Arms Fair in Belgium and paid to have them imported into the U.S.

I haven't a clue as to where the
    "only accurate rifles are interesting" comes from?

And YES, to an avid WWI or Mauser collector, both the Turkish and Württemberg issue M1887 Mausers are "highly "collectible" pieces."

Hopefully this information will answer your questions?

Warmest regards,

JPS

* When first introduced, the 7.65x53mm cartridge was a "high-velocity" round compared to the black-powder cartridge rifles that they replaced.
    ** Different sources are at odds as to exactly how many M1887 Mausers were completed and placed in storage. With a serial number just above the 220,000 cut-off, this rifle saw service with a Landwehr
    regiment during WWI.

Per the terms of the "upgrade" clause in the contract with Mauser, the following weapons were purchased as part of the 500,000 rifles and 50,000 carbines manufactured by Mauser for the Ottoman Turkish Army.

From top to bottom:

Name:	Turkish Article Cover Page w Flag R7.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	315.3 KB 
ID:	1543393

M1907/08 Carbine
    M1903 Infantry Rifle with M1903 Bayonet
    M1893 Infantry Rifle with M1890 Bayonet
    M1890 Infantry Rifle with M1890 Bayonet

SO Sorry, I meant to post the previous on my thread on the previous page regarding my g98 spandau. It was in response to Bagiman's reply. In addition to that, I originally intended to post the entire thread in the general category of Mausers, not "Turkish Mausers." I see no markings whatsover on the rifle that indicate any Turkish history. Would one of you be so kind as to do that for me?
    As for having Turkish style bands? Is that conclusive? Are these type of parts somewhat similar anyway.?
    RE the quote "only accurate rifles are interesting" ..Mr Whelan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsend_Whelen
    or just google him

So I spent ALL of that time responding to a question that didn't apply to this thread??? AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Just funin ya! No problem.

Do a copy and paste from this thread to the proper thread and when you've done that, I'll delete the post above.

Warmest regards,

JPS

Default Moving my post

AGAIN SO SORRY!
    bEING A NEWBIE I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE PROPER THREAD WOULD BE!
    Still stumbling around with this format.
    any assistance in getting this dfone will be doubly appreciated. Since my g98 is such an early spandau I was hoping to get some more definative history and maybe some info about its desirability. I am 69 now and none of my heirs have any gun interests so I am trying to get my ship in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    So I spent ALL of that time responding to a question that didn't apply to this thread??? AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Just funin ya! No problem.

Do a copy and paste from this thread to the proper thread and when you've done that, I'll delete the post above.

Warmest regards,

JPS

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

Hi snickle,

Mausers, Only Mausers is a reference sticky, not meant for discussion. You are welcome to post photos here like your Turk modified Gewehr 98 above, but we need some description or information along with the photos.

To start a discussion thread, go to The Military Mauser Forum and click on Post New Thread at the top. It would probably work best for you to post a discussion thread in The Military Mauser Forum first, learn as much as you can about your rifle, and then, if you like, later post in the reference sticky Mausers, Only Mausers after you know more about your rifle.

In short, a post in The Military Mauser Forum is to display and learn about your rifle through discussion. A post in the reference sticky Mausers, Only Mausers is to tell the world what you know about your rifle.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

Does anyone know of any Mausers chambered in a 6.6? I have a friend who has a rifle and he says he was told it was a 6.6. I cant find anything that says ant MAUSERS were chambered in a 6.6. Also he need to identify the model but all are marking are in Russian.

Hi Dallis,

Mausers, Only Mausers is a reference sticky, not meant for discussion.

To start a discussion thread, go to The Military Mauser Forum and click on Post New Thread at the top.

In short, a post in The Military Mauser Forum is to display and learn about your rifle through discussion. A post in the reference sticky Mausers, Only Mausers is to tell the world what you know about your rifle.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

I inherited this gun from my dad, upon conflicting stories I have been told this gun is highly collectible others have told me it has no value.
    It is a Waffenfabrik 8mauser 8x57 with a banner scope.
    Can anyone give me a idea what the truth is on this gun?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0292_1480014685880.jpg   IMG_0294_1480014409291.jpg   IMG_0295_1480014423249.jpg  

hi.your rifle is not highly collectible.it is a ww1 German 8mm mauser rifle with an aftermarket stock and a 1960-1970s Bushnell Banner model scope. the value would be according to if it has any sentimentality to you or other family members. market value to sell would be $150 to $300.there are ALOT of this type of rifle in circulation,so that keeps the dollar value down. cheers,Frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    hi.your rifle is not highly collectible.it is a ww1 German 8mm mauser rifle with an aftermarket stock and a 1960-1970s Bushnell Banner model scope. the value would be according to if it has any sentimentality to you or other family members. market value to sell would be $150 to $300.there are ALOT of this type of rifle in circulation,so that keeps the dollar value down. cheers,Frosty.
    Techyon and Frosty, please read post #556.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

That's a very nice Yugoslav M1924 but, there is an error in one detail. (I know this was posted long ago but the correction information is relatively new.
    That is not the original sling for that rifle. That is a post WWII Communist era Yugoslav shoulder "strap" is more appropriate than sling though it does work.
    The correct sling for that is the Yugoslav M1930 sling. An adaptation (I think) of slings used earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by kampfy View Post
    Yugoslavian Model 24 short rifle. 7.92X57 made in 1937. All-matching, with original sling, unissued, still has the original amber schallec!

That's a nice Yugoslav M1924 but, you err in one detail. (I know this was posted long ago but the correction information is relatively new.)
    My first picture below is taken from a new book of Branko's soon to be released in the United States. The rifle and sling belonged to the late John Wall. However, as noted in the image, It most likely is installed incorrectly. My second image shows what I believe to be the correct installation.
    The last photo shows the sling drawn out to length and some period photos of troops with rifles with similar slings and how they were mounted. One other difference. John's rifle has two of those funny 's' shaped metal clips. Only one is the correct count. The rifle in the second and third photos is mine. A Model 1924 but, a restored bubbalated rifle.
    The sling on mine is a reproduction I made.

Name:	2 bolts 08.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	1751146 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sling installation update whole rifle 01.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	1751154 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	323.7 KB 
ID:	1751138
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore; When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted." Ye Olde English proverb; origin unknown
    I make reproduction Yugoslav pre-WWII rifle slings and bayonet frogs.

I'll add two more, while I'm here.

Republica Peruana Model 1935 Carbine by FN

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	1783794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	304.2 KB 
ID:	1783802

Venezuelan Model 1930 Carbine, by FN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   021.jpg  
    Last edited by 0le; 03-16-2017 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Experimenting with pictures.
    "Though I've belted you and flayed you, by the livin' Gawd that made you, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din"

Default Mauser HSc 80

Here is my Italian made Mauser HSc 80 in .380 cal. I don't believe it has ever been shot. There are absolutely no signs of use. It came in the original box, with a brush, and extra mag.

Name:	Mauser in box resize.jpg 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	1800898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser left side w mags resize on felt.jpg 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	1800906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser left side w mags resize.jpg 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	1800914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser right side w mag resize 1.jpg 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	1800922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser right side w mags resize 1.jpg 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1800930
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mauser right side w mags resize.jpg  

VZ-12/33 El Salvador contract. This rifle was nearly lost to the elements, it is clear that it was poorly stored possibly in a humid and muddy storage facility. It had all manner of improvised screws and shims, but was so rusty I had to salvage it from complete loss and documented the process a few years ago here. Its a lesser seen variant of the Czech Mauser exports. Essentially a shorter and lighter VZ-24, according to Ball's Mauser Military Rifles of the World. The receiver is stamped with the date "1937."

Attachment 2050178Attachment 2050186Attachment 2050194Attachment 2050202Attachment 2050210Attachment 2050218Attachment 2050226Attachment 2050234Attachment 2050242Attachment 2050250
    Last edited by ECII; 03-16-2017 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Spellin'
    Scott Head
    Houston Area, Texas

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213