Mausers, Only Mausers - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mausers, Only Mausers

Only because of the very limited info available. One site that has info on the Moroccan carbines declares that the rear bottom swivel should rotate 360. Mine does not. Maybe that was a later variation. Carbine fits what you can find about them and Ball does not have much. Maybe the stock is correct for a carbine this early. Fits perfectly and I can't complain.

LB

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

Columbian FN1950 rifle, 7.62X63 (.30-06). Made c.1960 by FN. All matching, with muzzle cover, imported by Springfield Sporters. Argentine sling, correct FN1924 short bayonet, scabbard, and Yugo frog. Like new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Columbian FN1950 1.JPG   Columbian FN1950 2.JPG   Columbian FN1950 3.JPG   Columbian FN1950 4.JPG   Columbian FN1950 5.JPG   Columbian FN1950 6.JPG  

Last edited by geladen; 02-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Geladen,

Great idea.

Matching and original Mauser model 1930 near the last made, Red Nine with 1917 leather and correct stock, no cracks. No import marks. Bringbacks?

As good as they look. Both came packed with cosmo and are as manufactured, never messed with.

Luger is a Mauser S42/37, Russian capture. Matching cept' for three small parts. Tight like new. All three shoot great.

Field glasses are WWI German machine gunner pieces issued to NCO's and also the Red Nine. The ones on the left are made by Zeiss and very clear. Pair on the right made by Spindler and Hoyer with matching case and leather. Lucky to get these Mauser accessories a few years ago. Less than a hundred apiece for the binocs with cases. Work perfectly. Had an Austrian co-worker translate the original instruction sheet. Quick primer on how to operate the glasses and much about NEVER trying to take them apart. Have tried with no damage, ya' just can't do it. Waterproof.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Lancebear

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Look close...there is a large 79 stamped into the stock just under the serial number over the stock bolt.

LB

Yugoslovian M1924 rifle, 7.92X57. Made in 1933 by Kragujevac. Mismatched, bolt 4266 numbers off receiver, imported by Navy Arms. Correct Yugo sling, M24 long bayonet, scabbard, and frog. Finally, a bayonet on which a Yugo frog is correct!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yugo M1924 1.JPG   Yugo M1924 2.JPG   Yugo M1924 3.JPG   Yugo M1924 4.JPG   Yugo M1924 5.JPG   Yugo M1924 6.JPG  

Last edited by geladen; 02-15-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Geladen,

Your name is on the left side of my Luger's receiver.

Here's something ya' don't hear about everyday...in the spare spring pouch of the leather of the Red Nine is a five inch long lock of very old blond hair, no BS. Thought it was some old straw or something, fished it out carefully with a dental pic and realized what it was. Thought it was creepy at first and then realized that it is nice. Soldier going off to war was gifted with a lock of his wife's, daughter's, or girlfriend's hair to keep him company in hard times.

Red Nine will only leave my cold dead hands...1930 with correct stock, right price might take it home.

Anybody else have nice Broomhandles here? Have loved them since seeing them in library books as a kid. Never thought I'd have one or two.

Thanks Geladen,

LB

To everyone posting here, thanks!! One thing I've found out is that I need to start collecting pistols :D. Seriously, for someone like me who still has a long way to go, seeing all these different types has been a big help. Here's a matching Persian carbine. I still need to find the brass fitting for the stock cutout, a sling and a bayonet. Would a bayonet for a regular rifle be proper for this carbine?
    Thanks,
    Dan

I always liked show and tell. LOL...
    PISDETS VSEMU

Default Brazilian 1894

Made by Loewe. My first non-98 action that I ever shot. As long as I do my part this 115 year old still puts the rounds on the paper.
    KG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1894brazil.jpg   1894brazilreceiver2.jpg   1894Brazilside2.jpg   IMG_2369_edited-1.jpg  
    "One can live without candy, but one cannot live without bullets."
    Kim Jong Il

Default Gew 98

Can anyone help me out here? I have a rifle left to me by my father, who was in WW2, Korea and Vietnam, and I just recently decided to see if i could use this for hunting as he did for many years.

The top stamp is; DEUTSCHEWAFFEN-UND, MUNITIONSFABRIKEN, BERLIN, 1917

On the left side is; 1865, GEW .98.

There are numerous stamps in the metal and wood including 30-06 (Which I assume is the caliper) and 78 on the plate and bolt. There are also what appears to be brands or pics with some numbers next to some of them.

I'm not even remotely close to being a good authority on the Mauser, but know that these are some of the finest rifles ever made. With that being said, I certainly do not want to take this thing out in the woods, when it should be hanging on my wall or left to stand in my gun locker for show only.

I can get pics if it would help someone help me.
    Last edited by cad; 11-27-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Default One of mine

Lots of German leftovers in Norway in 1945, this is one of them.

Where we put slaw and chili on hamburgers and hotdogs

Here's my Arg 1909, all matching.

Turk K Kale

Steamer

My S/27 RC.

Steamer

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    My Russian Capture K98k screams at me to clean off the stock, like everyone else does. I refuse to do so, since it is an original unaltered specific type of Mauser, an RC. Cleaning the stock would make it unoriginal. The fact that it has the original Russian sling helps to tame the impulse to clean the stock.

I got lucky I suppose. The stock on this RC looks great IMO. Low sheen. Still needs a sling though. The Arg has a sling now. Won it on Ebay. Described as "unissued/unused", but when I got it saw it had to be a repro. Looks brand new cept for hardware. Got it for a very low price. The turk has a sling as well. An old Spanish ( I think) sling I found for 10 bucks. Turk also has the bayo I found at a gunshow. I need to take some fresh pics.
    Steamer

Yugoslovian M48BO rifle, 7.92X57. Made in 1957 by Zastava. All matching, milled floorplate and trigger guard, imported by INTRAC. Correct sling, M48 bayonet, scabbard, and frog. The BO (bez oznake, or "unmarked") rifles were unmarked with country crest or name of manufacturer, intended for export. All BO rifles were made in 1957. Some were sold to Syria where the Syrian crest was added. Most BO rifles were of the M48B type with stamped triggerguard and floorplate. Like new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yugo M48BO 1.JPG   Yugo M48BO 2.JPG   Yugo M48BO 3.JPG   Yugo M48BO 4.JPG   Yugo M48BO 5.JPG   Yugo M48BO 6.JPG  

Last edited by geladen; 02-15-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Probably the owner before you cleaned off the ugly Russian shellac.

+1 for putting slings and bayonets on your rifles. Frogs are good, too.

The hunt for cleaning rods, slings, bayonets, and frogs can easily exceed the hunt for the rifles. What really hurts is when the bayonet costs more than the rifle.
    Especially when it's a 10 inch cleanig rod. I've been lucky with the bayos so far. Missed a bid on one for the argy though.

Steamer

I saw not too long ago where a person owned a carbine and made the brass buckle out of solid stock. I seem to recall he indicated he might make a few more. There were photos on the thread; it was either on gunboards or surplusrifleforum. Maybe he might show up here or you could do a search for the thread. I think an original sling and buckle was shown too.

Yes, the correct bayonet is the Czech 98/29 bayonet, AKA VZ23 long. Sometimes they show up on ebay but you have to look at every bayonet on auction because they are sometimes misidentified. The extra length, cutting edge down, and the loop on the scabbard is the way to ID them. There is a photo in post #1, also a replica frog shown that was made for me by [email protected] at http://www.bayonetfrogs.com/

I watched the last four or so Persian carbines sell on gunbroker. They went for a bit more than I would like to spend but I still am looking for one. Here's the bayonet:
    Thanks for the advice. I've tracked down that thread for the brass buckle, now it's off to find a bayonet and sling :-).
    Dan

Default DSM

My little DSM34 trainer in Elm. This one even says Mauser on it....lol.

Here are mine. A VZ24 with no date,a 1906 M96 Swede, a Czech 98/22 with Turk sight leaf, and what is left of a 1901 Spandau Gew 98.(It now lives in a VZ24 stock) It was my very first Mauser, and I had no clue as to what I was getting, let alone that it had been shortened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frankenmauser now.JPG   CZ9822.JPG  
    Last edited by millman; 06-18-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Default Meet my leetle friend...Argentine M91 Carbine.

Hey guys,

Here is my Argentine Cavalry Carbine. Original and matching. Maybe ninety five percent blue. This carbine is pictured I think on page 13 of Ball's book, fourth edition. Sling came on it. I was informed by another member that these carbines were not issued with slings. Has been on the carbine a long time as the only bluing wear is on the front top of the barrel.

Included the Moroccan to show the hand painted rack number on the left stock and a better photo of the whole carbine.

I used to have an 1891 engineer's carbine bought from Ellison's ten years ago. Hundred twenty bucks and all matching, tiny import mark just above the wood line. Had a great crest and was in very good condition. Wish I had not traded it. Never did like the bayonet lug and sling swivels added. Useless and ruined the lines of the carbine. Shoulda' bought half a dozen.

Lancebear

Here are a couple of mine:
    A 1936 S/42 with a cousin of the Mauser; a Type 99.
    Next is a 1937 S/42.
    Then a "Romanian capture" DOU 44.
    Last edited by TheGreenMan; 11-28-2009 at 02:36 AM.
    In Memorium:
    LST 941 - GM1c

You can view pics of my collection here.

This one count?

M1930---more or less perfect. Couldn't hit anything with it, so traded it to a pure collector.
    I had wanted one since I saw a Vaughn Bode comic drawn in the mid-60s.
    That itch has been scratched.
    -----krinko

Default Vaarok, what is your rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaarok View Post

This one count?
    Looks like a long Lee or Metford? Don't know these at all but it looks British.

LB

Here's a couple of mine

Vz-24, Vz-24 #2, "RC" K-98, Swede, Yugo M24B, Yugo 'capture' K98...

-Palimino
    "The bullet is no respecter of fine uniforms." -Russian Proverb

Yugoslovian M48 rifle, 7.92X57. Made in 1952 by Zastava. All matching, milled floorplate, stamped trigger guard, imported by Century. Correct sling, M48 bayonet, scabbard, and frog. This is not supposed to have a stamped triggerguard but it does - maybe one of the first or maybe a replacement. The Yugos numbered the floorplates but not the triggerguards. I get the impression that it is not unusual to find M48/M48A/M48B/M48BO rifles with various combinations of parts. This is your basic Yugo, I bought it because the crest was different from my M24, M48BO, and Syrian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yugo M48 1.JPG   Yugo M48 2.JPG   Yugo M48 3.JPG   Yugo M48 4.JPG   Yugo M48 5.JPG   Yugo M48 6.JPG  

Last edited by geladen; 02-15-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Default Krinko, what did you get in trade...

Quote Originally Posted by krinko View Post
    M1930---more or less perfect. Couldn't hit anything with it, so traded it to a pure collector.
    I had wanted one since I saw a Vaughn Bode comic drawn in the mid-60s.
    That itch has been scratched.
    -----krinko

Looks like a fifteen hundred dollar pistol or more if it was all matching.

They are a handful to shoot, front heavy and the small strange grips. But if you have a good pistol and a firm two handed grip they are as accurate as any pistol I have ever shot. First entry into collecting was a 1912 Broom in very good condition and all matching. Shot the crap out of it. Never misfired or jammed after hundreds of rounds. Was always very accurate. Funny thing about them, shoot enough rounds and get the barrel very hot (You can't touch it after thirty or so rounds), and the pistol will sometimes start cookin' off rounds and basically goes auto. Can hardly feel it. Once shot a few clips and put another ten shots in. Pulled the trigger three times, pistol was empty. Coulda' started a fire with barrel stuck in some tinder. Hope you got something ya' like better...what did you trade for?

Lancebear

Default M91 and Moroccan carbine...

So it was a rack number. You didn't tell me it was stamped on one side and painted on the other side. Now to find out if other Moroccan carbines have similar numbers.

I agree the cavalry carbine looks better than the engineer carbine (like mine). But I also have a thing about bayonets and I find it excessively cool that the Argentines cut down a rolling block bayonet to go on the engineer carbines. Your sling sure does look like a Yugo. It is just a leather strap and two brass buttons, so it could be original Argentine. If it doesn't have additional cuts in the leather for buttons, it is fairly well guaranteed it is not Yugo. It is true the cavalry carbines were not made to have slings. What you are using for a rear "swivel" is the loop for a cavalry lanyard. That was removed on the engineer carbines as you probably remember.
    Geladen thanks for your interest. The M91 sling has only one set of slits in the rear and several in the front but obviously crudely hand cut.

The Moroccan carbine #79, is marked 79 on the right receiver ring and just below on the stock and 79 on the bolt. Far as I know that's all it's supposed to have. Hand painted 79 on the left stock is a bonus. Looks cool.

It is an absolute beast to strip. Took half an hour to tap the upper band off with a piece of cocobolo. Have to take the stock off before you attempt taking the handguard off. It is held on with a spring clip underneath and the screw in front of the rear sight. Won't take it down again. Hope somebody comes up with some new info. What I found is there is one four digit known and nobody knows how many were made. Small order is the word.

Lancebear

A nice variety of Mausers. The VZ24 is especially pretty.
    Thanks.

K98k, the best of all Mausers. I'm curious, since the Yugos normally scrubbed the receiver on K98k rifles they rebuilt, how do you know the DOU is a "Yugo capture"? Are there faint DOU markings under the Yugo crest?
    Oops, I meant "Romanian capture". Edited my post to be correct. It has peened eagles, a m/m bolt, and a very worn finish. All the markings but the eagles above the wood line are there. I've always heard of these as Romanian captured rifles.
    In Memorium:
    LST 941 - GM1c

here,s my best mouser, sorry i read it wrong. will post some of my mausers later. eastbank.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancebear View Post
    Looks like a long Lee or Metford? Don't know these at all but it looks British.

LB

Lancebear, look at it again. Very nice Vaarok, one of the most interesting rifles posted so far (no offense to any of the beautiful rifles posted) but it is only partly a Mauser.... :D

eastbank and I are just jealous troublemakers, trying to sabotage the thread.

Attachment 251190
    Swede Mausers with diopter sights

Attachment 251191
    Gew 98's

Attachment 251192
    Model 93 rails
    pure jebberish

"You don't think you're perfect but you do think you're always right."
    -my wife

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

John,
    Nice shootin' irons!
    Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    John,
    Nice shootin' irons!
    Regards,
    John
    Thanx John - I'm sure you recognize some of them!

Attachment 251235

How about 3 more Oberndorfs & an Erfurt Kar thingee
    pure jebberish

"You don't think you're perfect but you do think you're always right."
    -my wife

Default Moroccan serial numbers.

So now it has a serial number 79 on the receiver, plus a stamped serial number on the stock (not rack number), plus the same 79 painted on the other side of the stock. Even though it is a serial number instead of a rack number, the procedure is the same. Try to find out if any other known Moroccan carbines had the serial number painted on the stock in similar fashion.
    Geladen,

I looked all over the net last night. No Moroccan with rack numbers painted on the stock. Also don't recall seeing any with the side swivel behind the wrist of the stock like I have.

Have a guess. Morocco was not a wealthy country when they placed an order for these carbines. The Moroccan carbine dimensions are identical to Belgian police carbines except for markings and the swivels. Maybe no special Moroccan stocks were ordered as spares as they knew that Belgian ones would fit perfectly and could save some bucks. When my carbine was rearsenaled that's when it got it's maybe Belgian 1950 Police carbine stock.

There is only one other mark on the stock besides the serial number. A three or an eight stamped in the barrel channel. I won't take up anymore space with this, just wanted to pass on what I found.

LB

Vz.24. All matching in original as manufactured condition. Pretty much pristine.

Last edited by JIMMY C; 07-11-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.

This is a great thread covering a wide variety of Mausers and is of interest to so many that I am going to put in the "stickies" for a while. Thanks Geladen for starting this and we'll see how it continues.

Portuguese M937A rifle, 7.92X57. Made in 1937 by Mauser. All matching, imported by SARCO. Correct sling, bayonet, scabbard, and replica frog.

I understand that the first M937 rifles were identical to the K98k (not very many). Then the Portuguese apparently asked for changes which appeared in the M937A. The M941 rifles were the same as the K98k (cupped butt plate) except for the front sight guard and markings.

The M937A had front sight guards, no hole in the stock for a sling, a swivel on the bottom of the front band (in addition to the side sling loop), and detachable swivel mounts on the side and bottom of the rear of the stock. Bayonets were marked with the rifle serial number stamped on the left side of the pommel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portuguese M1937A 1.JPG   Portuguese M1937A 2.JPG   Portuguese M1937A 3.JPG   Portuguese M1937A 4.JPG   Portuguese M1937A 5.JPG   Portuguese M1937A 6.JPG  

Last edited by geladen; 02-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Default Concrete proof not necessary.

You may have to just live without concrete proof that the carbine is Moroccan. I have opinions about a number of my guns without concrete proof.
    It's a Moroccan barrelled receiver. And am not obsessed with proving anything. I don't collect that way. It's good the way it is and worth what I paid and probably more. I like it. Might be a fine shooter too. Fine bore.

Thanks,

LB

Default Very fine!

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMY C View Post
    Vz.24. All matching in original as manufactured condition.

That's just about the finest milsurp have ever seen.

LB

A note about info posted on this thread: It is intended to be educational for all levels of collectors as well as recreational. Corrections are invited and encouraged on anything I post. When posting a new rifle or pistol, it would be helpful to give info oriented to the beginning collector as well as the advanced.
    Indeed. And thanks for catching my error.

I can't believe I forgot to post my 24/47! I paid a bit too much for it at the time. And I'd do it again, just look at it! It makes me drool every time. Lovely wood with tiger striping and a nice plum colored barrel.
    In Memorium:
    LST 941 - GM1c

Polish WZ29 rifle, 7.92X57. Made in 1934 by Radom. Bolt mismatch (K98k bolt), imported by Century. Generic sling, correct bayonet, German scabbard, and frog. Just about all of the Polish Mausers were taken for German use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polish WZ29 1.JPG   Polish WZ29 2.JPG   Polish WZ29 3.JPG   Polish WZ29 4.JPG   Polish WZ29 5.JPG   Polish WZ29 6.JPG  

Last edited by geladen; 02-15-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast