Default Belgian Identification

I'm new to collecting, and just inherited most of a Belgian mauser. In the short term I am more interested in just being able to shoot it than to fully restore it (given what I perceive from this forum is a scarcity of Belgian parts). Please help me identify my rifle and let me know if there are replacement parts that will interchange from mausers that are more readily available.

rifle is 43 1/2" overall with a 22 5/8" barrel. 1/4" blade front sight with 7/8" wings. "MANUFACTURE D'ARMES DEL'ETAT"...sn 36026...GB in oval. mismatched bent handled bolt sn 5347, 7 9/16" to bolt face, smooth safety...rampant lion and crown with either a D or J beneath it stamped underneath bolt handle. Semi-pistol grip stock, 38" not including bayonet lug...1 1/16" cartouches missing from both sides of stock...metal buttplate marked "bpr" over 41 over waffenamt sn 1802. Missing magazine/floorplate, barrel bands, and handgaurd. I believe that I have a Belgian 98k in German 98k furniture, but I don't know the origin of the bolt.

Am I right? Any clue as to the year of manufacture for the receiver? Are 98k parts interchangeable between German and Belgian rifles. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Okay, lets forget about the identification. Can I use a German 98k trigger gaurd and floorplate to render this rifle shootable? Are there any issues with interchanging bolts if the headspace is safe? Please help me. I own a couple of Nagants, but know nothing about Mausers (yet)

Thanks

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Joe,
    No disrepect intended, but you have a rifle which is evolving towards being a mega hodge podge. I do not know of anyone who has every owned a piece so mixed up. As a result, very few folks have every tried to see if there is component interchangeability across these bloodlines. I would also guess that no one has every tried to shoot such a mixture, and I doubt anyone will advise you to shoot it, certainly not in public forum like this which your attorney could access in the event of a catastrophy. The best advice we can give you is to take this to a good gunsmith and discuss your questions with him with the rifle in hand.

That being said, your barreled action sounds like an Belgian Model 1935 infantry rifle. These rifles made by MAE are all ex-Imperial German Gewehr 98's which were surrendered in Belgium, salvaged and stored after WW I, and then rebuilt in Liege in the 1935-1940 era. However, when these were converted, their dates of manufacture were removed, so there is no telling when your action was made. It is safe to say however that it could have been as early as 1899, and that it likely has gone through two worlds wars.

Please, take no chances with your personal safety and bring this to a gunsmith before trying to shoot it.
    Regards,
    John
    Last edited by John Wall; 11-24-2009 at 06:54 AM.

MAE vs FN rifles

John: I have found that generally, 98 bolts will work in the 35/36. However one has to check the headspace as usual with this sort of part replacement. I have a Mle 1935 with a WaA 140 98k bolt installed by the Nazis (so the vet's family claimed!).....Also the triggerguards on the guns made from WW 1 German parts are slightly longer than the FN made trigger guards, due to placement of locking screws. Argentine 1909 ejector assemblies will fit and function on these guns as well.

I have seen and handled several of the MAE and FN made guns that the Nazis worked on...apparently they used whatever fit to maintain them, or some Banjo Dueller had the same inspiration after the war...

Dale
    Last edited by vonmazur; 11-24-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: sp..
    "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, Then they'll face French ones!"

Thank you,

I am going to check headspace, slug the barrel, and cast the chamber before pulling a trigger. I just wanted to make sure that parts could interchange before spending $$$.

Also, I have not found the rampant lion and crown J stamps from my bolt in any online resources. Any ideas?

Joe