Gunboards Forums banner

7mm Large Ring

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  NV1 
#1 ·
I want to convert a 7 x 57 Mauser large ring to a hunting rifle (I would not convert a military rifle in good condition). What is the best 7mm to look for? My understanding is that there are much more parts and accessories available for the large ring Mauser rather than the short ring variety.

:confused:

#2 ·
7mm

What do you mean by convert? for example I have a '09 Argentine that was action grade only and I bought a new barrel, for it to make it into a 7x57 my favorite cal. added a Timmy trigger, and scope she will blow the x out of the target at 100 yards, but I hand load, Speer 145gr or Hornady 154 gr over IMR 48 to 49 gr. Is that what you were asking? You can get barrels depending on your budget, ask a competent gunsmith where he gets his barrels from.

#4 ·
South American contract VZ24's were also in 7mm...

#7 ·
You are DOOOOOMED!

All you need to get out of mauser Sporter Building Purgatory is to buy the following parts and complete a few simple tasks.:

A sporter stock

A sporter trigger

A safety to clear a scope

A low scope bolt handle - not the typical bend or forging

Cut and crown the barrel

Cut the receiver for the bolt handle

Drill and tap for scope bases - using a jig.

Polish and blue.

Or just forget it and trot on down to Walmart and save a few bucks.

#9 ·
More Fun

This project promises to be more fun than going to Walmart. I will assemble the parts and have an excellent gunsmith who specialty is older rifles and Mausers do the actual work. Am thinking of a Boyd's JRS laminated stock and the Bold trigger sold by Boyd's with a safety also sold by Boyd's. What do you think of the Bold trigger?

#8 ·
there are still a lot of czech vz-24's in 7mm mauser that would be perfect to convert to a hunting rifle.
depending on your time frame it could cost very little to as much or more than one of those generic walmart remchesters that jjk308 is so crazy about.

if your not on any time schedule just keep an eye on the auctions & classified areas on the forums you frequent to pick up parts & donor actions at good prices when they become availible.
i've picked up the parts, donor action & barrels to assemble about 7 or 8 very nice sporters that way over the years for less money that one of those generic walmart remchesters that jjk308 is so crazy about.
if you want it quick it will cost more but its not that expensive. a good vz-24 donor rifle should run you about $150, less if you have a c&r & can skip the middleman. sell the stock & sights to help recoupe a little bit of money.
have your gunsmith recrown the barrel & trurn the step from the rear sight back to the next shoulder. have him d&t & weld on a new bolt handle while its there. a welded bolt handle looks a lot better than a forged handle & only cost a few bucks more.
there are a few options on the safety too. you can go with a dayton traiser or buelher style, they are inexpensive & work well. or you can step up to a winchester style safety. it will run you about $80 to have a wisners safety fitted to your shroud or you can buy a dakota safety of about $130. i prefer the dakota.
stocks can run from $60-$1,000+ depending on your tastes.

if you dont have a goood smith nearby i would recomend skaggs gunsmithing or IT&D
they both do high quality work at reasonable prices.
a lot of smiths only like to work on remchesters and price everything else very high to run the mauser crowd off.

#11 ·
arrives Monday

QUOTE=dirtyjim;1126977]there are still a lot of czech vz-24's in 7mm
user that would be perfect to convert to a hunting rifle.
depending on your time frame it could cost very little to as much or more than one of those generic walmart remchesters that jjk308 is so crazy about.

if your not on any time schedule just keep an eye on the auctions & classified areas on the forums you frequent to pick up parts & donor actions at good prices when they become availible.
i've picked up the parts, donor action & barrels to assemble about 7 or 8 very nice sporters that way over the years for less money that one of those generic walmart remchesters that jjk308 is so crazy about.
if you want it quick it will cost more but its not that expensive. a good vz-24 donor rifle should run you about $150, less if you have a c&r & can skip the middleman. sell the stock & sights to help recoupe a little bit of money.
have your gunsmith recrown the barrel & trurn the step from the rear sight back to the next shoulder. have him d&t & weld on a new bolt handle while its there. a welded bolt handle looks a lot better than a forged handle & only cost a few bucks more.
there are a few options on the safety too. you can go with a dayton traiser or buelher style, they are inexpensive & work well. or you can step up to a winchester style safety. it will run you about $80 to have a wisners safety fitted to your shroud or you can buy a dakota safety of about $130. i prefer the dakota.
stocks can run from $60-$1,000+ depending on your tastes.

if you dont have a goood smith nearby i would recomend skaggs gunsmithing or IT&D
they both do high quality work at reasonable prices.
a lot of smiths only like to work on remchesters and price everything else very high to run the mauser crowd off.[/QUOTE]

According to the UPS tracking, the rifle arrives on Monday and I will post a few pictures. A couple of questions. Is an integral safety on a new trigger a good idea? I know an integral trigger requires some additional work on a new stock. If you use an integral safety, does the factory safety still get in the way of the scope?

I really want a rifle in 7 x 57 and found nothing in a new rifle is available at a reasonable cost except for the Ruger single-shot. Also, I found 7 x 57 barrels cost about $275 or more. There are no Wilson barrels in 7 x 57 in the $80 to $100 range. Hence, the search for a good used 7mm Mauser. The FN Venezuela Mauser in 7 x 57 which I purchased has a 23" barrel.

#12 ·
i prefer a winchester style safety mounted on the shroud but there is nothing wrong with the side safety triggers. as long as its inletted tight it doesn't look bad.
if you go with a trigger safety you can plug the hole in the bolt shroud from the wing safety or replace the shroud with an aftermarket streamlined shroud. you can also just leave the original safety in the fire position & it won't interfere with the scope.
in the long run it doesn't cost very much more to go with a aftermarket trigger & winchester style safety over a trigger with a safety & a streamlined shroud.

here are a couple of examples of whats available.
i removed this trigger from a remington 799 mini mauser & replaced it with a sako trigger, its typical of all side safety triggers. middle is a steamlined bolt shroud that is normaly used with side safety triggers. to the right is a dakota winchester style safety & bolt shroud that is used with military or aftermarket non-safety triggers.

forged low-scope safetys for a 89 & a 95 mauser. these are made from the original military safetys.

welded low scope safety for a 93 mauser made from original safety.

here is a military shroud thats been cut for a winchester style safety.

#13 ·
Great Post & Pictures

I am leaning toward the side safety and a replacement bolt shroud supplied by Brownell's or Midway USA. Has anyone used The Boltman to weld/bend the bolt for a Mauser style rifle? The pictures of the bolts look great.

#16 ·
Thanks! I've been doing stock for about 30 years or so. I bought the rifle from an estate. Someone had made an attempt at shaping it, but still pretty awkard looking. I was going to put a nice walnut stock on it, instead I decided to salvage the maple stock since it had some decent figure.

I like German Classic Sporters, so I decided to build one that I could drag out into the woods without damageing an expensive rifle. I found this one at a local shop. The stock was sanded finished , but still basically the same as it came from the maker. I reshaped it into the Classic German design. It needs a bit more shaping and slimming.

Ron

#17 ·
Received FN Mauser 7mm 24/30 - pictures

:) Received the FN Mauser. All three serial numbers match, receiver, bolt and barrel. The barrel rifling and bore are excellent. There is virtually no rust or pitting. The Venezeula crest on the receiver is in perfect condition. Does anyone know the twist rate on this rifle as shipped from the factory? I don't feel bad turning this into a hunting rifle since "Bubba" had already changed the butt plate, installed a different front sight and cut the stock. I will order a Boyd's JRS laminated stock that's finished, a Bold trigger with integral safety. The new shroud to replace the current safety is on its way from Midway USA (Brownell's had back-ordered this item).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.