Default best deer hunting shotgun?

I just returned from deer hunting in Illinois,,,muzzleloader,,,most other hunters were using shotguns,,,what would you consider as the best AFFORDABLE shotgun to take back to Illinois for the second season of deer hunting? I thought about a Remington 870 20ga.pump as I have seen what a Remington 870 12ga. does to a deer and I do not want that much damage to the meat,,,SEMPER FI

godsey5 Guest

I would go 870 or Mossberg 500. Ithica use to make a Deer Slayer model years ago. If you do not like the damage of the 12 gauge try a sabot load or go to the 20 gauge model. Hornady makes a SST sabot. I am very fond of the SST bullets. Good stuff. You will have to have a fully rifled barrel for the sabots but that will also increase range and accuracy. That is the reason I do not hunt more in Illinois is the whole center fire rifle issue. My .02

Looks like Ithica still makes it http://www.ithacagun.com/deerslayer3.html

Mossberg http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3# they make a fully rifled slugster 2 barrel combo model

Remington http://www.remington.com/products/fi...press_deer.asp
    Jim
    Last edited by godsey5; 11-25-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Hmmm... Caliber? I'd still go w/a 12 ga. They're SO versatile. But a 20 ga. COULD do. OK Mossberg is a better value, but, for a pretty hunting gun I might get a Remington. Then again, a buddy just bought a model 500 Moss' 12 ga. combo that included an 18" defense barrel plus a heavy rifled barrel (for use with sabots) with a cantilevered scope mount (and scope) -- nice gun/set.
    Alden
    Last edited by Alden; 11-25-2009 at 08:16 PM.

godsey5 Guest

In order of affordability

1- Mossberg 500

2- Remington 870

3- Ithica Deer Slayer

Check out Daividsons gallery to see what they have in stock and or for prices. You can get quotes from local dealers as well.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

I have one of the Deerslayers. first year of production. I have since added some trintium night sights to it as I hunt in very low light. ( Not with a spot light) It is I think one of the best. I bought my Son a Benelli Nova with Garrand stye front sights and a ghost ring rear sight. I have to say that for the money, corrosion resistance and accuracy the Benelli is a good choice.
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Default best shotgun

The best shotgun is the one that gets the meat. I am kinda partial to a Mossberg because when I got mine it was cheap and already camo. They kick like my mule used to. Someone stole all my chokes and the one I had in there is the modified. I shot a Federal slug, three in a row, at a night match, at a target of human type ipsc cardboard and put all three in the a-zone in the chest at 50 yards. Good enough to win the match and the money, because that was the stage that screwed everybody up. I figure if it is good enough for that, it is good enough for some meat gettin'. Did I say they kick hard? Well, they kick....hard.

Thanks for all the information guys,,,Mossberg,,Remington and then Ithaca,,,I will be going to a gun show in Birmingham Alabama on Saturday and will look for one of these shotguns and also some of the SST ammo,,I have until next Monday to find something or else use my old single barrel Stevens 12ga.,,,I shot a nice 8point with my muzzleloader using 245gr. Barnes bullets behing 100gr. of 777,,,he bled like a stuck hog,,ran about 10 yards, stopped,,ran about 20 more yards,,stopped,,ran about another 40 and jumped the fence into someone else's property where 5 Michigan hunters using pump shotguns opened up on him and so I lost that deer,,once he got on adjacent property he is someone else's deer or so I had been told,,,Illinois has some different rules from Georgia's rules,,,Anyways I had a really nice time hunting with my older brother (62) and I am (60),,both recently retired and enjoying life to the fullest,,,SEMPER FI...PS...HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL..

Default shotgun

in recent years i have purchased several mossbergs and they have failed in one way or the other. i have learned my lesson. now i have several ithaca 37's and a remington wingmaster magnum and would use the remington first and formost.

FIVESHOT

Dog;
    May I recommend looking for that Mossberg at a local big store, i.e. WalMart? Or one of the chain sporting goods stores or even local gunshop first -- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I might also point out that your single-shot gun is probably rather light and so the felt recoil is greater. If the recoil is ultimately the issue, you COULD buy a recoil reducing shoulder pad for dollars vs. hundreds. And is Buckshot a possibility?!

Alden

Hey Alden,,,Thanks again for the information,,,in Illinois you can either use a muzzleloader .45 cal. or larger or a shotgun limited to 3 rounds and slugs only,,,no buckshot or centerfire rifles allowed,,,I do not mind the recoil of the 12ga. single barrel shotgun I have but would like something with a little faster followup shot potentional,,,the Stevens single shot 12ga. is the first gun my wife bought for me back in 1972,,,I have used it to take more deer with than any other firearm I have...of course in Georgia we are allowed to use buckshot,,,,Thanks again for the advice,,,SEMPER FI

Even though Mossberg has quit producing them, one of their 695 bolt action, rifled and ported, with firesights and scope capable shotguns is the best way to go. You will have a 3 round 12 ga. rifle capable of shooting 2 MOA at 100 yards (first hand experience). The next best thing is one of the NEF/H&R Tracker II shotguns. Single shot, break action, rifled barrel, adjustble rifle sights and 3" chamber in either 12 or 20 ga. Only $212 bucks list price and if you can't do better than that you aren't trying very hard.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

"God must love stupid people. He made SO many."

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

A slug from a 12 ga Rem 870 does a lot less damage to the meat than a rifle bullet. 20 ga is to light for me and only kids and women too small for a 12 hunted deer with them as the slug loses speed pretty fast.
    With standard velocity slugs, not the higher power ones. slugs from my 870 at ranges to 70 yards make one hole in the target. And even after disassembly and cleaning the zero doesn't change. Pretty remarkable within its range limits for a smooth barrel.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

What????? To light????? A 20 ga slug is at least 5/8 ounces, that's 437.5 grains and unless you are into 45/70 (my favorite cartridge) and other such big bore cartridges, you won't be shooting anything close to that bullet weight. FYI, large diameter flat nose or semi flat nosed slugs act totally different than pointy light weight rifle bullets, as you well know. Oh and I have found that the deer doesn't really care if it is 20 or 12 ga. slug that hits then, they seem to die real fast from either. This observation is from actually having done it with both a 12 and a 20. Oh and why limit your shooting accuracy and range with a smooth bore? Especially when there are reasonably prices rifled slug bores out there and most even have rifle sights on them now.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

That's because the shotgun slug is relatively slow, wide, and loses speed rapidly.
    As a rule of thumb you need about 1000 ft lbs of energy to reliably kill a whitetail. I've found the accurate, lower recoil Foster type slugs from my 12 ga 870 deliver that at 100 yards. But the same type of slug in a 20 guage will have less than 700 ft lbs at that range.
    A 20 will work fine at very short ranges, and kill at longer ones if it happens to hit just right. But you can't count on it.
    I have found onlty the lower recoil, lighter slugs to be accurate in smothbore guns, probably because the higher pressure ones blow out the skirt on exiting the barrel. And Brenneke slug accuracy has been pretty bad for me.
    My son has hunted with a 12 ga since he was 13 with no problems. If you are recoil sensitive I'd suggest either a long barrel or mounting a scope to cut recoil, plus making sure the length of pull isn't too long with your hunting clothes on.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Quote Originally Posted by jjk308 View Post
    That's because the shotgun slug is relatively slow, wide, and loses speed rapidly.
    As a rule of thumb you need about 1000 ft lbs of energy to reliably kill a whitetail. I've found the accurate, lower recoil Foster type slugs from my 12 ga 870 deliver that at 100 yards. But the same type of slug in a 20 guage will have less than 700 ft lbs at that range.
    A 20 will work fine at very short ranges, and kill at longer ones if it happens to hit just right. But you can't count on it.
    I have found onlty the lower recoil, lighter slugs to be accurate in smothbore guns, probably because the higher pressure ones blow out the skirt on exiting the barrel. And Brenneke slug accuracy has been pretty bad for me.
    My son has hunted with a 12 ga since he was 13 with no problems. If you are recoil sensitive I'd suggest either a long barrel or mounting a scope to cut recoil, plus making sure the length of pull isn't too long with your hunting clothes on.
    If what you claim is true then please explain why these slow and too light slugs out penetrate fast rifle bullets everytime? Don't bother you can't but it is true and it also works for blunt nosed large caliber rifle bullets at slower velocities.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/Penetration.htm
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

45/70 rifle, 300 gr bullet, 2200 fps muzzle velocity: 2215 ft.lbs energy at 100 yards

20 guage shotgun, Federal "trueball" 3/4 oz. , 1600fps muzzle velocity : 743 ft. lbs energy at 100 yards. it's only going 1010 fps at that range!

If your rifle bullets aren't penetrating it's because they're designed for lower speeds than you are getting and blowing up. Non expanding bullets and slugs may penetrate but also do a lot less damage.

The 185 is the forefather of the 695 I have, accept mine is a 12 ga.

Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

My wife prefers her NEF Tracker II in 20 Ga. We had a Red Dot on it but she didn't like it much so the Fire sights went on to it. I actually like the 20 over the 12 Ga. I find I do not have a picture of her NEF, but here is another pic.

Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team