Thread: Flamethrower pics

Default Flamethrower pics

Here are 19 vintage pics of flamethrowers from different countries. Some shown in training - others appear to be in actual combat. SW

http://ifun.ru/view/108691
    Last edited by 5thDragoons; 11-26-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: grammar
    Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Never wanted to be around those things - dangerous and cantankerous.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

In '69, a Russian LPO 50 flame thrower was found in a cache in extreme northwestern Quang Tri province. Not a pleasant thing to contemplate. SW

In the early days one SF camp was over run by badguys with flame throwers.
    There were also some other incidents.

I scrounged up a crated US model we used to burn brush in our wire.
    Messy, complicated, and scary as all get out.
    We finally ran out of the igniter thingies.

Musta took a different kind of breed to carry one of those around. Cool pics.
    The men of steel, these men of power,
    Are losing control by the hour.

I've seen pictures somewhere (not on web - though I don't doubt it is by now) of the results of flamethrowers in action. A couple of people fleeing positions after being hit. People wrapped in jellied gas and running aren't pleasant. And one of a guy who was carrying one and was hit by small arms. rupturing the tank - and igniting the contents. I wouldn't call that a good way to buy a farm (there are no "good ways", but that would be worse than most).

And yet, I don't think flamethrowers are regulated by the ATF! I can't think of a much more "destructive device"!:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    In '69, a Russian LPO 50 flame thrower was found in a cache in extreme northwestern Quang Tri province. Not a pleasant thing to contemplate. SW
    I have heard of Russian flame throwers being brought back from Vietnam, but I never saw one in person. Here's a generic photo of an LPO 50 that I found on the internet:
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

I spoke with someone who was at that cache which had been ratted out by a "chu hoi". He said there was a cylinder of compressed gas that generated a lot of interest - it was completely different from the flamethrower cylinders, he said. Claimed it was taken out by itself on a helicopter.

Poison gas? We will never know now, so I just consider it an interesting "war story". SW

Most of the time a flame thrower won't go up in an explosion of flames if hit by a rifle bullet, unless it is a tracer (possibly) ....
    It took quite a bit of spark from the "match" at the end of the tube to ignite that stuff !!
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. MARINE and his rifle!"
    GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

The photos I saw (series of stills from a movie shot by a combat cameraman, it appeared) showed a guy flaming a target when the tank was hit and ruptured, with the fuel then spraying around and ignited by the drips from the flame rod (which of course immediately stopped being ejected when the pressure was lost). Not nice, but fascinating in a horrid way.
    Last edited by Clyde; 12-01-2009 at 04:13 PM.

What happened to the post I submitted with the 2 pictures of the flamethrower being demonstrated & why?
    Tip from an archaeologist to a collector: "If it actually says 'B.C.' right on it, it's probably fake"!

hello?
    Echo,
    echo
    Tip from an archaeologist to a collector: "If it actually says 'B.C.' right on it, it's probably fake"!